Bunch of Questions about AFN tuning, and other stuff

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
Hi!
First off all I know there are few threads about this topic, but did not find all my questions, so bee kind and anserw if you got experience with any of it

I am building a Vento AFN, and wanted more power, but realible, my goal is to hit 200hp, is possible more, but once again it needs to be reliable as much as possible, Budget is not restricted, but don't want to buy all the most expensive stuff,Best Buy things and if someone can source me with infos would be kind

so lets begin with questions

Found a pump on Ebay 11mm and 12mm for around 70E, are they any good? do I need 12mm or is better to stick with 11, or go with 12 and have spare fuel capacity??

also found few injectors there, 0.216, 0.230..and even bigger, same questions and wich one to chose

is it possible to remove the MAF from car?

runing already ASZ intake with egr delete, so I wanted to have cleaner engine bay, and front mount IC is already on car

is there any other ecu that can be connected with the car, with more functions, ( asking that because I saw on YouTube a German guy tuning a ibiza with afn and he puts another ECU, but my German is not that good so I don't know what he did) so here is the link of it, around 11 min is the ecu part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-F5mK-c6q8

is it possible to have popcorn rev limiter sound on AFN?

Now my engine have 140+ hp, and I am currently runing 195/50/15, and the gears are now short, next wheel setup is 185/35/17 will that be much different, now it tops at 210 cca, should I leave it as is and just put longer 5 gear, or should I use different gearbox, and what

clutch? what to use

Somebody told me that SDI Camshaft is better to use with that Hp, so is that true, or you you have any other better option
want to car to stay torque at bottom end, as it is now, don't want to rev it all the time, or complete setup will stay the same of the engine just little bit more power thrue all revs ( I know the maping will be the key here, but to be exact with the cams chose)

exhaust is 60mm turbo back enough for that hp?

and now the most important q
what turbo to use
somebody told me to send my oem turbo and make it hybrid, that it will be enough for 200hp
but I am thinking to use 2052, don't mind little lag, but no too much, what to use I really don't know

so for the moment that is about it, probably will have more questions when I got few replays,
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INFO
Greetings for Croatia

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
I have a ~200bhp AFN Passat (at the crank)

First of all, make sure youre engine is running well, no leaks, excessive smoke etc.

You can get 200bhp with 10mm pump but id go for an 11mm if you want 200bhp+
Clutch upgrade depends on your budget, I have Sachs SRE with original DMF. I presume you have a SMF which is fine.

R520 injector nozzles are very good, so 0.260 sort of size.
With 11mm pump, 0.240 would be ok. Just make sure you get them properly flow tested and balanced.

3 bar MAP sensor needed
Just keep the standard MAF
Standard exhaust is fine, you might need to adapt downpipe for turbo
Standard cam is fine
Pd150 head bolts worth having, they're so cheap and you'll want to take the head off and port it slightly, check bore condition if not done recently.

Turbo, 2052 is too laggy and old technology.
I have Bv43. How about GT1749VB from PD150 engine, pretty cheap now.
Front mount intercooler worth having as you'll have 1.7bar minimum going through it

Decent remap, job done!

Id say target 185bhp and keep 10mmm pump if its running well, throw some R520 nozzles in (make sure you get them balanced properly)

Last edited:

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
GT1749VB does not fit with Vento motor mount.

Go for AFN manifold and Bv43.

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
Great
So 1749vb I need adapter plate for it or there is some exhaust header that can be bolt on?
is it also vacuum operated?
engine is all in great condition, it have 150 000 km total on it ( pretty low, because it is my weekend car)
but with bigger pump and nozzles how it goes with fuel consumption on normal driving without boost? ( I doest matter to me, but I am curios )
bv43 what car does have it?
thanks

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
found a topic here on bv43 turbo, sounds like a ideal match for me

so anybody know what ecu upgrade is that on video, does anybody know anything about it

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
For simplicity AFN manifold and Bv43 is fine but I will go for tubular log style manifold and gtb1756vb or even gtb2056vk, plenty air flow for 250 Bhp and lights just as fast as a gt1749v/va...
Bosio race 520 nozzles and 11mm pump will tear up the Tarmac- best combo on my opinion ! I will swap the ecu to a edc15 but even chip tuning the msa15 will be fine however you're stuck to swapping/burning chips every time you do modifications ! A Sachs SRE clutch on a solid mass flywheel will do fine however all that torque will break your gearbox so you might need to upgrade to a later model gearbox.
I am thinking on dropping a similar AFN or ALH engine into a Audi 80 from 1980... I will convert to 4 wheel drive though !

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
woow,
thanks for this replay
so that ECU is from what car?
what benefits are for doing that?
what later model gearboxes you you recomend?
where to buy nozzles and pump, is eBay ok?
what log style manifold is?
thanks once again for the replay

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
again question
1749va vs bv43 with one to chose and why ?

main goal 200ps with some reserve, also durable

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Bv43 it’s more suitable to your power goal, better still- get a bv43a cartridge and put it in bv43 housings, you get a newer design billet compressor wheel with better trim and extra blades compared tot the bv43 of the Pd170 engine !

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
is there a way to have it mapped without MAF sensor?
does anybody know how wide is safe to bore the intake and exhaust port in head?
Is gearbox 6speed from golf 5 any good on this chassis ( don't know codes of gearboxes)?
clucth? one daily friendy but could cope with hp
Thanks!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Re Clutch sachs sre will be fine for daily driving and occasional blasts without being too hard on the pedal...

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
anybody have gearbox idea?
or put just longer 5 gear, or change gearbox ?
wanted a 6 speed if there is any that works with setup as close as possible

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
I swapped my original DHF 5spd box for the FHN off the Pd130 B5.5 Passat, which has a longer 5th gear (as long as most of the 6spds)

Approximately 2850rpm at 90mph

Then Sachs SRE 228mm clutch, its been on 50,000 miles now and is great, with OEM DMF.

It'll do 450Nm+

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s a single mass flywheel and let you use a vr6 clutch disc - fine for a bit of an upgrade but not man enough to hold too much Bhp... Valeo started doing a SMF * clutch kit based on that, it’s ok for stock cars but not for modified ones...

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
so keep oem dmf, and better clutch and I am good for that
are there any diff upgrades available , or even worth doing?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Look at peloquin or as you’re in Europe - wavetrack, they are good torque biasing diff’s which lets you put the power on tarmac without spinning the wheels !

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
send a mail to wavetrack
so now only thing I need to sort out is the gearbox
i will be going with Bosio Race 520 nozzles, I saw there are two versions, witch one to get, and from where?
samo q with the 11mm pump

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Stick to the 5-hole (not 7 hole)

People on here will probably recommend some new brands instead (although my R520' have been great, which are 0.260 size)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
2nd that, the 5 hole Bosio Race 520 are brilliant, loads of power enough to rip your flywheel apart especially in conjunction with a large turbo and 11mm fuel pump. You will be well pleased with the outcome however other people tried Gibonta’s nozzles and they do even larger sizes...you will need loads of boost to burn the fuel from these nozzles...

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
and one more question, talking to a guy, he told me that my gearbox code is no CYP wich is shorter ( now with my current set up- mapped afn 140ps) it maxes out at 210, so he told me to use the ASD gearbox from 1z tdi, that this one is longest to get , and to change the fifth gear with one from vr6, does that makes any sense

Anybody got some experience with these two?

vrvoje

TDI
Vento Afn
so anybody knows a good place to buy them at reasonable price?
so anybody knows a place for boszio nozzles?

any suggestion for a gearbox?
is there anything that will do like golf mk4 tdi gearbox or something like that- with longer gear rations