HPFP malfunction totals my 2013 Passat TDI SEL

2013PassatDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
This happened to me! 2013 Passat TDI dead stop at 70MPH. Tow to dealer HPFP failure w/metal shavings throughout. Under extended warranty but need to send a fuel sample to VW of America in Michigan. They ran a Specific Gravity Test and told me I failed. Had it towed to a second dealer I trust, in my neighborhood, and asked for a fuel sample to have independently tested. Second dealer said I failed the Specific Gravity Test and gave me a picture of a guy holding a Petro Dector, and said I failed that test as well. The meter had a fronzy face on it??? Ya, Fronzy means you fail. :mad:
I sent a sample of my fuel to FOI Labs in Vancouver and it came back as 100% pure B10 diesel. They test for water, gas and bio blend additives. PROBLEM: As I learn more, (Ethan M. of the TDI Club) the problem is that my car was designed to run on ULSD Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel B # 2. The best I can find in my State of Illinois is Bio #10. Some pumps are as high as Bio # 20.
I'm wondering if I should even fix this car. In hind sight I should have sold it back last year when I had the chance to return under the Emission Scandal program.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Dang. How are you supposed to get the lubricity back into the B10 or B20 to make them lubricate like the B2?

I read somewhere on here that VW recommends any diesel under 5% BIO.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
B10 is acceptable in Illinois and does not void the warranty. Bring a copy of your fuel analysis to the dealership and show it to the manager. If that doesn't help, contact VWoA and tell them that they need to honor the warranty, and you'd prefer not to take them to court but are prepared to do just that.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm confused, as I've not been obsessing about TDIs since I bailed in 2016.

Doesn't B10 have a HIGHER level of lubricity then B2????

Unless your car has a gazillion miles on it (over 200k), why would you total it, over a $3-5k repair (at an indie shop)?