Turbo Actuator adjusting? Thoughts?

mikeb95

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 TDI pkg. 2, DSG white/beige
Long story short...I recently replaced my turbo with actuator...after vacuum line replacement and N75 valve replacement from error codes and car going into limp mode constantly....the Actuator was not holding vacuum.

So I replaced it 2 weeks ago and not a simple limp mode and no codes. But what I am missing is that kicking in of the turbo (the vaaa voom) of punching the accelerator at high speeds to pass. Essentially....at 70 mph and I want to kick it in for passing or whatever, the car down shifts correctly but will stay in that gear, RPMs high if I keep the accelerator at a constant position. Now if I left off the accelerator a little, the car will then shift to a higher gear and lower the RPMs. When I installed the turbo with the actuator, I did not adjust the valve.....should I have?

I've read sooperdooper post and it seems I am opposite of his....not enough boost at the desired time. At lower speeds, the car acts fine but still missing that pep.

Car is bone stock, no mods or tuning. Oh and 240K miles.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Here is my theory, which might apply or not.

When you punch it, the ECU tells the N75 to provide maximum vacuum. If the reservoir is leaky and does not have enough stored vacuum, or there is some other impediment to adequate vacuum, the vacuum won't be there for the actuator and it will not respond as desired.

I recommend thoroughly examining the integrity of all the vacuum components, including the vacuum reservoir, as for years I had odd turbo issues which I finally traced to both a leaky reservoir and a cracked plastic vacuum line to the brake booster. I replaced the cracked line with a rubber hose and clamps, and repaired the leaky vacuum reservoir with some automotive silicone.

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I can't help with the problem you're having, but I will say that I recently had the same problem you had - glow plug light flashing, car in limp mode, etc. Local mechanic found the turbo actuator was not holding a vacuum. Took it to VW dealership and (after some arguments and calling VW Customer Care) they replaced the entire turbo actuator under the emissions modification warranty.

If you're within 48k miles / 4 years of the emissions fix (assuming you had it done), any problems with the turbocharger are explicitly covered under the warranty.

Good luck!