Help with 2005 tdi bew

dustinwor

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon bew
Hi I was driving my 05 tdi 285k miles when it suddenly died at about 30mph it still turns over and the timing belt is tight but won't start , there is fuel to the filter and coming out on the intake side but no fuel coming back threw the return line any help would be greatly appreciated, could this be the tandem pump? Thanks

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My first guess would be a faulty crank shaft position sensor or its attached cable. The fine wires inside the cable become brittle over the years. You should get it scanned or try wiggling the cable with the gray harness near the vacuum reservoir.

dustinwor

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon bew
I would say it's definitely mechanical and a fuel issue, how can I go about testing the tandem pump? Thanks

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
You need a fuel pressure tester which I am not familiar with. Is your fuel filter full at all times? The CPS will not always throw a DTC. Again try wiggling the CPS cable.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
There’s an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank on that car.

Underneath the back seat you can find an access hatch (a round cover with three screws). Every time you turn the key on, you should hear a buzzing noise from there for a few seconds. Another way to check is by disconnecting the fuel supply line and running it into a jar. It’s the line that comes from the center of the fuel filter. If no fuel comes out of that line when you turn the key on, then you have a problem with that pump. Could be just a fuse, #28, or the pump itself. Some cars will run without that pump, some will not, and it can depend on how much fuel is in the tank.

To check the timing belt, you need to turn the engine so you can inspect the entire length of it for missing teeth. They like to strip teeth, and at a glance the belt still seems fine, until you find the affected section.

It’s also possible for the cam sprocket to slip on the cam hub, throwing the cam timing out so the engine won’t run. It’s held on by three bolts in slotted holes. If it slips, the bolts will be all the way to the end of the slots. They should be near the middle. This would happen if they are not torqued to the correct spec after a timing belt job. The result is the engine just stops dead, and it won’t start until the cam timing is adjusted back to spec.

I have never heard of a tandem pump actually failing. I think they wear until they start leaking, and at that point should be replaced before they actually fail. Also it would slowly get worse and worse, and probably wouldn’t just stop unexpectedly in the middle of the road.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
By the way, if you determine that it was a fuel issue, even after you’ve replaced a pump or whatever is necessary, it will still be very difficult to start until you get the air out of the system. It won’t just fire right up.

To purge the air, remove the glowplugs and crank the engine until you see puffs of fuel mist coming out the glowplug holes. This should take about 30 seconds or less. Put the glowplugs back, and it should fire right up. If you never get puffs of diesel mist, then you still have a problem and fuel is not being injected.

dustinwor

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon bew
Thanks for the info I have found my oil to be over filled with diesel bad injector seal?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the info I have found my oil to be over filled with diesel bad injector seal?
If it seems like your oil level has increased, and it might be full of diesel fuel, then that could be from the tandem pump, or an injector seal.

The tandem pump is easy to change, so hopefully that’s the problem.

If an injector seal started leaking very badly, then that would cause the engine to stop running abruptly because there would be no pressure in the fuel passages in the head. You mentioned no fuel coming out of the return line. That might be because it’s all going into the crankcase instead. The good news is that the engine stopped running so damage would be limited.

The fuel side of the tandem pump can leak into the vacuum side of the pump, which exhausts into the crankcase. Again, if the leak is bad enough it would stop the engine from running.

You should remove your valve cover and see if there is a broken or loose injector hold down bolt. The injectors are held in place by a little block of metal that has one bolt running through it. I would advise you not to attempt to tighten them, as they can snap off. Just try moving them with your hand to see if there’s any obvious looseness. At this stage we’re just looking for huge obvious problems.

dustinwor

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon bew
So I was wrong about the oil being over full , I have confirmed the the timing to be spot on with the tools , I have 300psi in each cylinder still no check engine codes not sure where to go next any help is appreciated thanks

dustinwor

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon bew
I have a mist of fuel on #1 cylinder ( closest to the tb ) but no mist on any other cylinder s