New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Hey TDI Lovers!

Not new to Diesels, as I have owned and driven several across the years.
Current stable, includes a 1984 Mercedes 190D, with 220k miles, and a 2009 ML320 Bluetec, with 67k miles.
I am a handy wrencher, and there is not much I won't tackle.
The is a 5.9 Cummins 12v under my bench that I am rebuilding...

So, we just added a 2012 Sportwagon with TDI/DSG to the fold.

Silver Exterior, Black interior, base model, no sunroof, and 119,650 miles on the Odo, at time of purchase.

I've been looking for a Wagon to replace the 190D for a while, but budget was tight. Need a Wagon for our big doggies and hauling crap around. Have family in Az, and we are in South Orange County, Ca, so MPG was a factor. Looked a bunch of cars, like Subaru Outback, etc, and had a few near misses, but nothing panned out.

Spotted this Sportwagon locally, and the price was good, but i had some issues.

Did my research.

Went and saw it, and although it was a little miley, and a little rough around the edges, it would work for me.
One family owned, kids and dogs, and have averaged 17,000+ per year, which I kinda prefer to a coked up garage queen.

Carfax was checked, service history was a mix of Dealer, and Oil services, I was assured were done, but there were no proof, no receipts to hand beyond what I could see on Carfax.

VW Emissions Update was completed 8/2018, which made me feel better.

Biggest concern was it had had a bout of CEL's that ended in a $2000 replacement Turbo and Intake, I was told.
After that, the owner said CEL's came back.
They were unable to smog, and register it. The Mechanic said it was now due a Major service at 120k(Timing Belt, DSG Service and more).
They guessed that that would be another $2000, and felt they were done putting money into it, and decided to let it go as was.

My Icarsoft MB2 Code reader, read no codes, no CEL and 8 out of 9 Readiness points were done.;)

A test drive revealed nothing but a healthy car, and no obvious issues.

Negotiations started with a very fair price, and ended in a great one.
A bit of a risk, but I felt it was worth a shot.
Money exchanged hands, and paperwork was done, and I drove it away.

As the Smog was a priority, I filled it with fresh diesel(It was on E), and drove it straight to the Smog station.
Still no CEL...
Tech did his thing and it passed!:eek:

Drove it to AAA DMV Locally, paid the back registration, Fines, Forward Registration, and Title Transfer, and it was ours!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
So, here I am!

The Good:
CA car, so no rust!
No reported accidents.
New Turbo, and Intake.
VW Emissions update done recently.
Drives great, lots of power, feels quick and shifts great.
Lockable roof bars.

The Bad:
Exterior needs a good buff... lots of minor chips, scratches, dings, etc. Rear bumper will need repainting.
Interior is scruffy, and needs some love.
Drivers seat is peeling, worn, and scratched.
RCD 510 Premium 8 CD changer won't load, and throws error.
Shifter and Shifter surround chrome peeling.
Trunk latch broken, and wont lock.
Glovebox latch broken off and missing.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Starting with the priorities, and questions/Advice requests

1/Lift gate latch ordered from Amazon... $30 copy part that will be here tomorrow. Quick and dirty for now.
I have the spline tool to do it already.

2/ OEM glovebox latch ordered off ebay, for $18 or so.
I don't have the original lock tumbler... its MIA.

3/ Need to prep myself for the upcoming service work:

A/ Kinda looking at changing the oil and was thinking I would use the same oil I have been using in the ML.... Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5-40. The Blackstone numbers on the ML have improved since I changed from the M1 0-30.
Any Naysayers?
B/ Suggested filters?
C/ Suggested Air Filters?
D/ Suggested Timing Belt/Idlers/Waterpump Kits/Makes?
E/ Suggested DSG Service items/kits/Fluid/Filters/Fillers?
F/ Worth putting Magnetic drain plugs in Engine/Transmission?
G/ For 120k Service, I see fuel filters, Cabin air filter, Brake fluid, V Belt, brake fluid, DPF check, etc...

Im wondering what I push back a few months and do over time to lessen my work load.
I am planning a run to AZ in January, which will be a 900 mile round trip... anyone freaked out by postponing all but the Engine oil/filter, and Air filter until after?

I am planning to buy a Diagnostic VCDS or such.

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Anyone suggest a good replacement Entertainment system?
I would like Nav and a Backup Camera.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I picked up a 2012 TDI in Atlanta yesterday. The front rotors are warped, but I ordered new brakes and rotors last night. I have an RNS-315 and RNS-510 for sale. Both have the backup camera input and nav. The cd changer can be swapped in the radio. That’s typically the issue. Pull out the changer and check the connections on the bottom too. They tend to come loose.

Last edited:

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Starting with the priorities, and questions/Advice requests

1/Lift gate latch ordered from Amazon... $30 copy part that will be here tomorrow. Quick and dirty for now.
I have the spline tool to do it already.

2/ OEM glovebox latch ordered off ebay, for $18 or so.
I don't have the original lock tumbler... its MIA.

3/ Need to prep myself for the upcoming service work:

A/ Kinda looking at changing the oil and was thinking I would use the same oil I have been using in the ML.... Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5-40. The Blackstone numbers on the ML have improved since I changed from the M1 0-30.
Any Naysayers?
B/ Suggested filters?
C/ Suggested Air Filters?
D/ Suggested Timing Belt/Idlers/Waterpump Kits/Makes?
E/ Suggested DSG Service items/kits/Fluid/Filters/Fillers?
F/ Worth putting Magnetic drain plugs in Engine/Transmission?
G/ For 120k Service, I see fuel filters, Cabin air filter, Brake fluid, V Belt, brake fluid, DPF check, etc...

Im wondering what I push back a few months and do over time to lessen my work load.
I am planning a run to AZ in January, which will be a 900 mile round trip... anyone freaked out by postponing all but the Engine oil/filter, and Air filter until after?

I am planning to buy a Diagnostic VCDS or such.

I think you need to use Low Ash motor oil, Mobil 1 has it under ESP 5w-30 I think? make sure it is spec for VW
Any of the vendors here will have filters, timing belt kits etc.. of what your looking for
Happy New Year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Thanks guys!

Barry, thanks for the input.
What is involved in fitting that unit/Units to the 2012?
Does it just drop in and work with all the other VW functions?
Does it need an antenna for the GPS?
What camera does it need?
PM me if thats easier.

Thanks Super,
New here, so will check the vendors her first, but I was as much looking for advice and opinion on the waterpump for example... ifs the plastic one ok, or is it worth going metal...

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
On the subject of oil...
I read extensively on the M1 TDT oil, and its 505, not 507 rated.
I've been thru this discussion before, with our ML.

There is a fantastic article out there about Mercedes Diesels and oil written by a Guy up in SF.
He make some VERY compelling arguments about MB approved oils, and I believe what he says there applies very much to the TDI motor.

He basically says that MB is balancing on the razors edge in thier newer Diesels, especially the Bluetec, between protecting the Engine, Emissions, and MPG, and service costs.
The looser in this war is the engine.
It boils the super thin 30 weight oil alive as a result of the high temps needed to burn the diesel and emit low emissions.
The result is oil evaporation, resulting in lubrication failure, and sludge formation.
He points out that this is particularly bad in hot climates...

His argument is what is the most important thing to protect... The Engine or the DPF?

For my part, this has been my experience:
Our ML came to us 2 years ago, with 56k miles from FL.
First oil sample that I sent to Blackstone Labs was MB approved M1 0-30 with about 3500 miles on it.
The big scare was the Iron content at 93PPM.

The next oil, also M1 0-30, with 3800 miles, showed a mild improvement at almost 70PPM.

Then I swapped to M1 TDT, as I figured it will protect the motor better.
Iron dropped off to 37ppm.

I have the second batch of M1 TDT in it now, and am coming up on 3000 miles, so will be watching that next analysis closely.

For those that have not seen it, here is the opinion piece I referred to above.
Everyone who has a later model Turbo Diesel should read it closely.
Notice that it SPECIFICALLY mentions M1 ESP... which is the oil most people are putting in their TDI's.

This one...
http://www.stephensservice.com/oil-related-failures-to-engine/

And this one...

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems/

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Thanks guys!
Barry, thanks for the input.
What is involved in fitting that unit/Units to the 2012?
Does it just drop in and work with all the other VW functions?
Does it need an antenna for the GPS?
What camera does it need?
PM me if thats easier.
Thanks Super,
New here, so will check the vendors her first, but I was as much looking for advice and opinion on the waterpump for example... ifs the plastic one ok, or is it worth going metal...
The radios are plug & play. You add a gps antenna inside of the dash. The camera is $100-110 on eBay and it replaces the hatch rubber button.

SoCalJT

TDI
‘12 JSW 6-sp
Great to see another local-ish new jsw owner (I’m in Corona, but have fam in OC)... I just picked up my ‘12 jsw manual a couple weeks ago and will start a build thread too... had ~62k miles on it. I also plan to add at least the back up cam, amongst other things already in the works first.

So you’re going m1 tdt oil for the tdi?

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Nice. !

Ordered Mann oil, air, and fuel filters. Also a cabin air filter, and a Continental serpentine belt.
Put a shot of Powerservices Diesel Klean, and a Shot if MMO, as I do every tank on my other 2 Diesels.
Few things I noted today:
Battery is dated 11/2016, so will make a note of its resting voltage as a reference point.
Noted that the battery cover is missing.
Confirm that the intake manifold looks new, and what little I could see of the turbo does too.
Current engine oil level is correct and it doesn’t look too bad.

Yes, I think I’m going M1 TBT oil, as I have 2 gallons in my garage, and I plan to take the car to Az in January.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I usually buy the Castrol oil at the dealership because they sell it to me at wholesale. NAPA Auto sells LiquiMoly. I had 5 qts of oil left over from my Audi Q5 TDI and picked up a Mann filter at NAPA yesterday. When changing the oil I noticed that it has a new battery, new air filter, and new tires. My car sat for over three years though. The original owner trades it in and it sat until VW issues the stop sale. From there it didn’t get sold until it was fixed a few months ago. So the battery was probably dead.
I need to change the DSG fluid and brake fluid because I’m sure that it hasn’t been done recently. I was cleaning the inside and noticed that the right visor light has had water in it. I pulled down the headliner, poured water in the sunroof drain, and it looks fine. I’ve had to purchase a few small parts on eBay that we’re missing such as the rubber in the cup holders and one of the interior door reflectors. The front rotors had so much rust built up that they’re junk. PowerStop brakes and rotors are on the way.

If you need help taking apart the radio to check the cd changer just let me know. It’s really easy if you have a set of torx screwdrivers.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That guy you refer to has opinions not shared by most of the M-B community. I'd be wary of following his advice. Mobil 1 TDT, if it's the oil I think you're referring to, is not low enough in ash to prevent damage to your DPF and Cat. It would be a bad idea. Oils with VW certifications 507.00 are correct. If you insist on running a heavier viscosity oil, you can run Shell Rotella T6 5w40 or Pentosin HPII 5w40. Both are DPF friendly. However, my $.02 would be to run the oil that's correct for your vehicle and has the VW certification.

Welcome to the VW TDI community!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Lucky you, Barry!
I too have a bunch of things I’d like to replace or find, once my mechanical priorities are done.
That would be great if you could help with the CD player issue, as I’d prefer to fix it in the short term.
I found a rubber ring under the front seat that I thought might be from the cup holder but wasn’t sure.
This is my list so far!
The car is also missing a rubber/plastic piece on the pass/right side front door. It’s on the lower rear edge between the seal seal and door edge. I noticed it as there are a bunch of holes exposed.
I need a drivers seat skin too. The cushion is scuffed, worn peeling on the outside bolster, and the stitching is failing. The backrest has a deep gouge in the bolster. I’ve seen replacement skins for the base on eBay for $170, but not backrest.
Also the lumber support knob does nothing.
Rest of the seats are fine.
The shifter surround satin chrome is scuffed and bubbling, and the shifter knob the chrome is pealing and sharp. The boot is ok.
I’ve ordered a replacement glovebox latch but I don’t have the original lick barrel. I reached out the the PO, hoping they have it in a drawe somewhere.
One thing I want is another Remote Key..... only got one.
Can anyone give me the skinny on replacement keys?
I see them on eBay with a key blank but don’t understand yet what the deal is with programming...
Anyone?
Car has roof bars attached. There was a pair of keys in the console for their locks but I could not loosen the bolts yesterday. I’m assuming there is another step that I’m missing in the locking mechanism. Will post pics.
Rear tailgate glass has an aftermarket tint, that is scratched, and also bumpy over the heater elements. I think it will have to go.
The car drives great, and the tires have loads of life.
Fronts are maybe 2/3 and rears are 3/3 or close, but both are brands I don’t know.
Noticed a slight shudder at about 75 that seemed to go away after a bit, but I have not checked pressures yet.
Brakes feel fine, rotors look ok, and the front pads look to have 2/3 life left, but there is a hint of brake shudder.
The car sat for over a year with little use, so maybe some use will Smooth
it out.
The PO said it was at the VW dealership for “Several months” alone.
Between my GF and i, we work from home, so we don’t do many miles. I think between us, we are about 8/9k a year. Mostly it’s been the ML, but the VW will take up some of that because my GF wouldn’t drive the 190d, who we affectionally call “Weasel”.
This means the VW will only do 3/4K miles a year, which will pull the mileage back to average over time.
On the subject of oil.
I am aware that the Sprinter guy is not agreed with across the spectrum, but who is!
Oil is and has ALWAYS been a touchy subject with Experts and “experts”..
Much of his opinion is based on his experience in the field, tho and that holds merit for me.
I should link my ML thread so people here can see the actual oil reports for the ML and make up thier own opinions.
I am not adverse to Rotella T6, as I use Rotella or Delo conventional diesel oil in my 190 and all my other vehicles.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You can probably find the shifter console cover on eBay or put some vinyl wrap on it.
Pull out the radio, remove the screw on the top cover. On the sides of the radio you’ll see two screws in the middle. Those four screws hold the cd changer in place. Take off the top cover and pull the changer out. Disconnect the cable on the bottom that connects to the radio and check the connections on the changer.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Thanks Barry, will look at that once I have everything else done.

So, here are some pics...

This is the rear edge of passenger door, where the piece is missing...

This is the Drivers door with the part that I believe is missing...

I think this may be the part... but its $108 and i'm not sure what it does, or how important it is..

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2.../Rear-retainer-STRIP/48276271/1K5831300J.html

This is the scruffy drivers seat....

And the scruffy shifter and surround.

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
That is weatherstripping for the door, you can find that on any 2005.5 on up Jetta at a pick a part yard. Be sure to get all the plastic clips that hold it to the door.
No need for a new part.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
That is weatherstripping for the door, you can find that on any 2005.5 on up Jetta at a pick a part yard. Be sure to get all the plastic clips that hold it to the door.
No need for a new part.

Awesome!
Thanks!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Have put 80 miles on it since I bought it...
No CEL yet!
I wish I could say the same for the ML, which threw a Glowplug timer code friday!

VW Engine bay shot...
A little scruffy....

Note, missing Battery cover.
Should I get one?

New Intake I think...
Do I need to stress about the frayed pipe cover?

I noted some oil/fuel residue on the top of the motor...
Anyone suggest where this normally come from?

At the back of the engine bay, there is this component..(Note what looks like a new looking Turbo shield below?).

There is a heat cover on the wire or connector, but I could not figure out how it should sit.

This is it pulled up and rotated into view.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Something I did with my car, you may or may not find it to be beneficial.
I had the timing belt/waterpump, etc done every 110k miles rather than every 120k.
For me there were 2 benefits:
1. It’s free insurance against a timing belt failing early. There’s plenty of folks on here that have had their TB break 8k miles away from its next service. Maybe not so much in the CR engines, but others. I figure, it’s free insurance unless you do 12 of them. But at that point, you’ve driven the car over a million miles, so whatever.
2. It spreads out the cost of maintenance.
At 120k, you’re due for your 40k service.
If you do TB @ 110k, thats a 10k service. At 220k, that’s a 20k service. At 330k, that’s a 10k service. At 440k, then you have it fall in a 40k service.
So that may be helpful for some but maybe not for others.
Just thought I’d share. Welcome to TDI club!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
All fair comment.

Anyone tell me what make these roof bars are and/or how to get them off????

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Nice pics.
Battery cover is a thin soft material like the insulation under the hood. I wouldn’t worry about it. I almost threw mine away when I last changed my battery.

Mesh wrapping on that intake pipe is about twice as frayed as mine is. I have 192k miles. I have no idea why though, the only time I see anything contacting it is when I change the oil filter. If it matters, someone will chime in.

Look at the hard coolant return line that runs across the top of the intake manifold.
You’re missing a T30 screw on the left that helps hold that hard line in place.
My worry is vibrations over time causing a failure. May not be a problem if you don’t drive it much. I drive about 1600mi/mo, so I worried about it. (Dealership lost that screw when they replaced my intake manifold).
Side story: I had P2015/P2017 error code. Intake flap position limiter problem. Fixed it with the dieselgeek bracket. Dealership didn’t find that acceptable to do the emissions fix, so they replaced the entire intake manifold on their dime. If you, in the future, experience the P2015 (I think it is) error code, you can fix it with the dieselgeek bracket for like $64 or something like that. Way cheaper than a new IM. You can get them at Dieselgeek.com.

Fuel residue...on the tandem fuel pump (thingy immediately the to left of your timing belt cover) on the anterior side of it, where the fuel line comes out from it and runs to the HPFP. There’s some copper seals that can start leaking. If you have any fix warranty remaining, it’s covered. My dealer replaced the whole pump. If it’s not, I’m told it’s a semi easy fix and just a few dollars for new copper seals.
I just remembered, when the dealer replaced my intake manifold...the tech failed to properly secure the fuel lines coming to/from the HPFP. Oops. Since yours got a new IM...keep an eye out.

If it’s an oil residue or oil leak, I’ll keep an eye on this thread so I can learn - I haven’t experienced any oil leaks at all to date (on this car). Fingers crossed.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Awesome info, thanks!

I found the bars... They are Yakima!
Seems the locks only lock the plastic covers in place.
I have the covers off but the clamping bolt wont move.
A little PB blaster, and some more force will be in order tomorrow!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
So, I need to get moving on this Timing belt project.

Anyone got the Timing belt tools for rent or sale???

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
IDparts.com will sell you the timing tools.

On the oil, of course when you ask 5 people their position on oil, you get 7 different opinions.
First things first: Mobil 0w-30 ESP or European Car Formula is NOT diesel rated! There is no API "Cx" rating on the jug at all. FYI, Mobil 1 TDT is CH-4 rated. No that might not be low-ash enough for the DPF, but I'd rather the engine lasted long enough for that to be a concern.

Chevron has a Delo400 full synth product that is CK4 rated, their bottles pretty much scream it at you in the store. I've run it, seems good enough in older diesels. If I had any around when I changed my oil last week, I might have used that on my 2014. But my DPF also... had an accident. ;) I used TDT.

Don't mess with the DSG oil type unless you have a really good reason, the cost for that isn't bad enough to make it worthwhile. IDparts has a transmission kit, just buy that. The funnel method into the filter housing is the easiest way to fill the transmission, but it does take time. I will be developing an alternative option for that method... Results TBD.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
If you look on eBay there’s a company in Oregon selling the DSG service kit cheap. They have it on their website too. CascadeGerman.com it was $70 on eBay for the fluid, filter, o-ring, and crush washer. I have the fluid install tool from previous cars.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Thanks for the input guys.

I wondered about the M1 ESP and had a thought that it was not Diesel rated!

No reason to mess with the DSG fluid tho.
Ordered the kit you suggested Barry.

So, back to this timing belt saga.
Looked at all the kit sellers.
How to videos. Have a better grasp of the procedure now.
So, timing and serpentine belt, metal impeller water pump, tensioner, 3x guide pullies, new bolts and studs.
Questions:
How often at the first service do people find the crank seal needs replacement?
Anything else I should have on hand while I’m in there?

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Had rain here yesterday which flagged the wipers were past their best. A excuse to drive to Costco! $18 but two Costco s later I had an 24” and a 19”! When does anyone ever leave a Costco with one item and under $10 lighter.... twice!

Magnetic oil pan plug arrived.

Air and Cabin Air filters arrived. Oil and fuel filters, and DSG kit should be here by Friday.

Do I need to have VCDS program to do the fuel filter???

Ordered the Timing belt kit from DieselGeek, so I should have everything but tool soon.