Gen 1 Emissions Fix + P0401 (EGR Low Flow)

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Gen 1 Emissions Fix + Pre-existing P0401 (EGR Low Flow)

Hello all!

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI and I opted for the fix, since I love the car, just put in a new stereo, and am about to have it paid off. However, for the past 1-1.5 years I've had the infamous P0401 error code pop up intermittently. The CEL is currently on.

I searched the forums but haven't found any specific threads discussing the GEN 1 fix with this error code on, so maybe some info could be shared here!

I'm just a newbie on doing my own car work, so a while back I did bring the car in to a shop to have the EGR filter cleaned out, which made the CEL go away for a while but it's back. Recently, when inquiring with a local import shop about a DPF delete, they told me not to worry about fixing it, that the Gen 1 TDI fix would replace all those parts and likely fix my problem.

So, as I consider when to schedule my fix, I wanted to know if anyone else was in my same shoes.

1) Did you have a P0401 CEL on when you brought it in for the emissions fix? If so, did the dealer have any comments?

2) If you had this problem, with or without the CEL on when you brought the car in, did the dealership give you any problems about performing the fix? Any extra fees?

3) The warranty states the entire EGR system, including the EGR valves, cooler, filter, etc, is covered for 4 years and 48,000 miles (I'm already at 125k). In addition, the extended warranty says "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the customer", on page 9 of the pamphlet they sent. Doesn't that imply that even if the dealer tried to charge me for the EGR fix, I could point to that clause and say, "nope"?

Thanks for any feedback y'all might have! Looking forward to the fix just don't want to drop it off at the dealer and be told I owe $1500 to fix the EGR before the can do the emissions fix.

Last edited:

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thanks - yeah no wonder it didn't come up in my google search (no reference to P0401). Appreciate pointing me in the right direction.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
no worries, I am betting many people will be encountering this issue as well

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
clean the EGR filter out just before the fix appointment, clear codes and cross your fingers.

Or buy a new EGR filter and clear codes, this would allow more time between EGR change out and possible P401 code coming back .

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
clean the EGR filter out just before the fix appointment, clear codes and cross your fingers.

Or buy a new EGR filter and clear codes, this would allow more time between EGR change out and possible P401 code coming back .
Thanks - have not done this before, but will give it a try. Would be worth saving the $2000 if it works! I don't have a VAGCOM, which I would need to clear codes... maybe I can find a mechanic that wouldn't mind helping me evade the stealership's grubby hands!

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
you can always get one of the autozone cheap code readers to clear the codes. thats what i did when i brought it in for the "fix" .
you can check out some of my other threads on here to see what i did.
I even dropped it off with a Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune running on the car. along with a sooty tail pipe and CEL that i cleared 3 times the morning i droped the car off for the "fix"

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Yeah I spoke with my local mechanic about my intention to "erase" this issue before I brought it in for the emissions fix, and he was totally on board - even offered to clean the soot from my tailpipe.

He did quote me a price of $250 for the EGR filter (only OEM parts). Does that seem about right to you? I'm hoping that replacing the EGR filter, cleaning the tailpipe, and clearing the P0401 code will be enough to "trick" my dealer...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
$250 is cheap insurance once VW replaces the DPF when P401 comes back when the EGR clogs again.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Some have reported their CEL wasns't even on and they were told to pay for the DPF because of a stored code. If thats the case then puting in a new EGR filter won't help. It's still a gamble and depends on how thorough the dealer is.

Goatfish

TDI
2011 Jetta
I figure since I went through this experience I should chime in here with what I did . I was also getting a intermittent p0401 code and all I did was take the advice I read on here and cleared the code in the ecu using a vagcom than cleaned my tailpipe and went in and had the mod done and didn't have any trouble from the dealership. I think I should mention that my p0401 code hadn't shown up for quite sometime but there was one stored on the ecu that they would have found if I didn't clear it first.