TDi remote start?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
As a friend of mine from Southie (South Boston) says, "Toughen up, fluffy." :D
Exactly.

These cars have heated seats and electric air heaters, both of which produce heat within a couple of minutes of driving. That's 'soft' enough.

On a side note, I can recommend some group homes and assisted living centers where food is provided and you never have to go outside...

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
As far as a comfort thing, did any of you guys ever research having a heated steering? I wonder if any heated MFSW from another later year VW would fit.

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
I had my remote starter installed by the dealer and it works like a charm. I run it 2 min before I drive off with the block heater still connected. Its nice especially at -29°C like last year here in Montreal... thank god not yet this year...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Now that's a nice combination...

What is your water temperature when you get in to drive off?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I run it 2 min before I drive off with the block heater still connected.
You must have either a really long extension cord, or a really short commute! :D

I did that twice on my old 2000 Golf -- destroyed a timer on one of those occasions...twisted the thing right in half....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've done that... fortunately it just unplugged itself. :eek:

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Only thing I wish I could do easily is tie in the seat heaters. the module used doesnt output for it and I did not feel like wiring into them directly.

I keep forgetting to go back and check (I may shortly when I finish up some other work). But when i first got my car and I Was going through all the modules to see what the car had and what kinds of changes could be made I am 99% sure I Came across an option to have the seat heaters go back to their last known position before the car was shut down. So if you turned them on before you turned the car off the night before just like you would setup your heat for the morning to run with the remote start then they should come back on. If I figure it out later i'll post

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's a pretty cool adaptation if it will do it. Very handy for cold weather.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I keep forgetting to look for that adaptation when I've got my cable connected. Please post it if you find it!

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Ok just checked and tested the seat heater adaptation is there.

Go into HVAC controls

adaptation

no channel numbers here just a drop down with I think 5 options

The last one was driver seat heater setting retention (or something similar)

Selected that changed the drop down from off to on.. Then Do IT! button.. stored

turned seat heater on full cycled key on and off and it came right back on full so it works.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
That's a pretty cool adaptation if it will do it. Very handy for cold weather.

Yeah it will work two fold for me.

Days I leave for the gym early and need the heaters on for the drive there but I'm hot for the drive to work from the gym won't be good

Days I go don't go to the gym and stop for coffee are when I never remember to turn them back on for the rest of the drive it will be good to have them this way.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I'm with some of the other posters here, I just get in, start, and go. No idle, no warm-up. I think it would be better, and more efficient, to get heat faster by using a block heater then just letting the car idle. Then again, the block heater is only useful when starting the car at your own house.

As far as a comfort thing, did any of you guys ever research having a heated steering? I wonder if any heated MFSW from another later year VW would fit.
I test drove a 545i a while back with a heated steering wheel, now that was a sweet feature. I'm not a big fan of wearing gloves while driving, but my hands will get cold long before anything else. I usually don't mind sitting in the cold until the engine reaches operating temperature, which seems to average around 10-15 minutes on the highway when its around freezing. Toasty hands would take the edge off the really cold days.

I did that twice on my old 2000 Golf -- destroyed a timer on one of those occasions...twisted the thing right in half....
Not sure where a good place to install one would be, but there are a bunch of companies out there that sell auto eject systems. They do just what it sounds like, they eject the plug from the outlet when you turn the ignition on. Look at the side of an ambulance or emergency vehicle, they usually have them for battery trickle chargers.

i.e. http://safeairsystems.com/parts-accessories/battery-chargers-auto-eject

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
You must have either a really long extension cord, or a really short commute! :D

ha ha did that too, cost me about 400 CAD with the replacement cord and the new new fog light grill part and labour and tax and and and...:mad:
However what i meant was that I run the engine with the cord connected for about 2 min..

Onefast66nova

TDI
2014 golf
There are remote start systems out there that are designed just for a standard shift car. They have a certain way of shutting off the car. Iirc u set e break with foot brake on then remote start car with it running then wait a few seconds and remove key. The car will stay running then y exit car and remote lock the doors and the car will shut down. The rs system then monitors the door triggers and will only remote start if no doors have been opened. I have installed a few of these and other than the weird shut down they work good.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.

2010TDI said:
Not sure where a good place to install one would be, but there are a bunch of companies out there that sell auto eject systems. They do just what it sounds like, they eject the plug from the outlet when you turn the ignition on. Look at the side of an ambulance or emergency vehicle, they usually have them for battery trickle chargers.

i.e. http://safeairsystems.com/parts-accessories/battery-chargers-auto-eject
My preventive measure--while inelegant--has worked well so far. I used a zip-tie to make a loop in the extension cord about 8ft from the plug. The loop goes over my driver's side mirror. First thing I do in the AM is to "unhook" the loop then unplug. So far, so good.

ricaroo

TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen

Go into HVAC controls

adaptation

Selected that changed the drop down from off to on.. Then Do IT! button.. stored

turned seat heater on full cycled key on and off and it came right back on full so it works.
What do i need in order to make this change on my 2011 JSW?

Thx
Rick:confused:

chris@revotechnik

TDI
What do i need in order to make this change on my 2011 JSW?

Thx
Rick:confused:
I don't know, this is all being done with VCDS or a dealer tool regardless of model year. The option either exists or it doesn't in a 2011, I've only done it in my 2012 so I have no idea of this exists in your car.

kwhitelaw

TDI
jsw white

Go into HVAC controls

adaptation

this is interesting.. I'll have my car in to NGP in a couple weeks getting my 40K done, I'll have them look into this with their vagcom..

thx for info!

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav

Go into HVAC controls

adaptation

FWIW, on my '12 Jetta, I needed to select and test channel 5 in this controller then change the set value from 0 to 1.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
Plus, idling the CR just wastes fuel. If it's less than 25F the temp needle will barely move with 10 minutes of idling, and the ECU dumps a lot of extra fuel during post-injection to keep the EGTs up.
What are CRs? Thank you

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
CR = Common Rail. Latest Generation of the TDI motor. All MK6 and MK7 TDI'S are CR motors. MK5's only had CR motors in 2009 and 2010.

YMMV

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Seb1

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GLS
i second that. i installed on my wife's 2005 passat, and it was well worth spending the extra $$$. We live in 2mountains, 30km north of Montreal. Sometimes can get pretty crispy cold. no problems starting the car. car warms up faster, thus making my wife happy.
and my life happier.!

quigleytoo

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
2014 TDI Sportwagen with dealer installed remote start. Very touchy, need to pause between button pushes to get it to start. Too fast or too slow, no start. And it does no good. No timeout and it can run forever and never move the temp needle.
Wasted money on this option. Oh well. And nowhere do I see anything in the manual about and electric heater. Maybe gone by 2014?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
2014 TDI Sportwagen with dealer installed remote start. Very touchy, need to pause between button pushes to get it to start. Too fast or too slow, no start. And it does no good. No timeout and it can run forever and never move the temp needle.
Wasted money on this option. Oh well. And nowhere do I see anything in the manual about and electric heater. Maybe gone by 2014?

It has electric heat. You have to turn the heat all the way up.

akrievins

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Comfortline - DSG
I always thought that idling the CR engine for long periods of time would lead to a prematurely clogged DPF. For that reason, I start it up, and pretty much go as soon as possible... even when it's really cold out there.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The manual doesn't mention the electric heater, but it's there.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I always thought that idling the CR engine for long periods of time would lead to a prematurely clogged DPF. For that reason, I start it up, and pretty much go as soon as possible... even when it's really cold out there.
The engine needs to have load to warm up. Idling takes forever for the engine to warm up also a little oil does pass through the turbo seals. The seals need pressure( boost) to seal up.