Bi-Xenon Jetta Mk4 Build

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
hey-Hey!!!,
For my first build thread, I'll start with the shopping list:

Morimoto Matchbox 2.0 H1 Projectors
The relay/control Harness- https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h1-morimoto-elite.html
The page 8 option from- https://www.theretrofitsource.com/media/custom/upload/Stage3-Matchbox.pdf
H4 socket splitter parts from wholeceller on ebay, one male and two female( one set per side)
Sealing strip/goo from The Retrofit Source

The mounts will need some fabrication; these wee projectors will mount where the fog lights go. Sourced Depo e-code housings from fstdirect for $119 delivered. If you want to use OE/USA Jetta lights just cut out the hole...:) The fab will start on a set like this...and when the e-codes come in, they'll go in. There are provisions to mount fogs on the fog-less lights, the hole is not cut out.

Pics as soon as I have some work done.
cheers,
Douglas

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Good luck! Been there on my MK4. Opened and resealed them several times with multiple desiccant packets inside, Gortex one way breather vents, still fogs up in the rain/carwashes. Killer light output but very, very hard to replace the factory perfect seal. Yup, used extra butyl glue from theretrofitsource too...

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
Not to knock your project, if xenon is what you want, go for it. It's an awkward light source though. I find unless you do it right, xenons and HIDs scatter light around rather than keeping it on the road.

Have you considered a drop-in LED replacement bulb set instead? I bought a pair from a Chinese site for about $60 CAD. They claim to be 12000 lumens (although that is debatable) but their light is more uniform and bright than the halogens I had prior.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I have a set of "bi-xenon" VXTuning HID's on my Jetta and now that I have them I can't imagine driving without them. I have bad night vision and this is probably one of the best mods I have made. I made sure to get them professionally aimed which you will definitely want to do, not just for yourself but for the benefit of other drivers coming at you as well. I agree with the "unless you do it right" part, but isn't that really the case with anything?

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
benmarks

The LED drop in replacement lights I got are amazing. I too could not imagine using anything less bright than these bulbs. I didn't have to get them focused as they were out of the box ready to go. I wish the forums were better for images

Halogens on top, LEDs below and even those images do it no justice really

Mind linking them?

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
Z14ben Yes, I can provide a link for these.

https://m.dhgate.com/product/edison...ight-h7-h11/426132630.html?invitorid=EjUjiq27

This is the site in China I bought these from specifically. It does take a while to get in but for ~$60 after everything, that is cheapish for a direct install LED kit.

Philips sells a 9007 kit for LEDs also, but they run $200. In that case though, you at least are buying locally with their guarantee it will work and returns are a breeze.

Either way, make sure the headlights are going to work for you in terms of low beam/high beam before finalizing your install.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
TDIFan1989,

And are those a drop-in on unmodified housings? Or do you have to leave that cover off behind the bulb to clear the heatsink?

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
These particular headlight bulbs are drop-in replacements that can sit inside the headlight without modification and have the dust cover placed back on with space to spare. The only tricky part is mounting the bulb securely to the headlamp via the plastic twist lock grommet. I had to file back the tabs to get the locking grommet over the body of the LED unit. I could be misreading how I was supposed to do them though. I found the 9007 bulbs to be awkward like that. I did the same mod on an H4 style headlamp for another Jetta, it was a piece of cake.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The thing I've found with LEDs is that sure - they work amazingly well on dry roads, and particularly concrete roadways. In rain, on dark asphalt, though - it's almost like you don't have lights turned on.

PS. Can you resize the photos to maybe 1024px width? As now, you can't really view them well.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIFan1989,
Plastic twist lock grommet? I don't have that, just a bent-metal spring clip (maybe because I'm looking at H4-based E-codes, but I think my original NA-spec lights had that too). Nice to know the dust cover clears though.

Nuje,
I'm running (I think) silverstar halogens right now, and have the same complaint as you mention with the LEDs. Then again, I don't recall seeing any real improvement under dusk/rain conditions with regular halogens either.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm running (I think) silverstar halogens right now, and have the same complaint as you mention with the LEDs. Then again, I don't recall seeing any real improvement under dusk/rain conditions with regular halogens either.
To me, that's where the HIDs (in proper projector housing) really stand out. The first iterations I went with were 5500K or 6000K for that "oh - that's so cool!" bluish tint to the white light (no pun intended).

But putting 4300 or 4500K bulbs in, which have just the slightest yellow hint to them, adds great visual definition in rainy weather.

Halogens are (kinda guessing here) maybe 3600K, but only put out 1500lumens (again - going on memory here); whereas good projectors put out a slightly whiter light with closer to 3000lumens. Lumens + right light color (4300-4500K) makes for happy(er) driving in driving rain.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins

A little progress. Trimmed the flange on the inboard side, and sourced the stand-off's that will mount to a piece of FR4 that will be attached to the OE bosses the fog lights usually ride on. Awaiting the e-code headlights so I can fit the FR4 mounting plates.

The harness is from The Retrofit Source, and manages the single filament operation so the lights don't turn off when the low beams turn off for the highs. Motocontrol they call it. Listed at $25, and it is nicely put together. 35W XB ballasts, and of course H1 bulbs.

Hoping to manage the install w/o taking the lights apart...but if I have to, I will likely acquire a set of Mini D2S 5.0 for main beam replacement...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
Rob, if you're talking about a metal base with a spring clip, those are H4s and much easier to work with. I grow tired of uploading photos via URL to here if it's going to blow them up to a ridiculous proportion. Look up 9007/9004 bulb lock ring. Terrible design. Also, the LED bulbs I got do have a removable adjustment ring so the lock ring can be installed on the bulb.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Rob, if you're talking about a metal base with a spring clip, those are H4s and much easier to work with. I grow tired of uploading photos via URL to here if it's going to blow them up to a ridiculous proportion. Look up 9007/9004 bulb lock ring. Terrible design. Also, the LED bulbs I got do have a removable adjustment ring so the lock ring can be installed on the bulb.
Yeah, I have H4s right now (e-code housings), and I'm fairly sure the OEM lights had the same.

Agree that lock ring thing looks like a pain.

Nuje, next time I need headlight bulbs I'll see if I can find halogens in the 4300-4500K range, and give those a try. I miss the old days (80s) when they still used the paint with glass beads in it for more reflectivity - that stuff used to practically glow when the lights hit it...

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins

About ready for an aiming test light with the H4 e code reflectors. Then some trimming of the FR4 mounting plate. Need the H4 bulbs too...:)
cheers,
Douglas

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
hey-Hey,
Pics shortly. I have the projectors mounted, and aimed to match the H4 low beams. Whilst shimming the FR4 boards on their posts I tried loosening the bulb holders. Turns out the hot spot is high, so tilting the bulb nose down( or shim under the low side) brings this back in line. Took about .010" to get the bottom third of the hot spot below the shield cut off line.

Next up, rigging the wiring. Then install and enjoy...:)
cheers,
Douglas

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The e-code low beam:

Now with the Matchbox 2.0( also on low):

Aside from using my phone camera, which allows no control over exposure I know how to use, the combination is a solid improvement. Now quite make the paint peel, but not so bad at all.

Pics of the hardware next...:)

Douglas

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Some time later I can give a 'thumbs up' for this build. Bulbs replaced with XTR H1 of 4000K bulbs...a distinct improvement over the Mori 4500 XB bulbs. Color about the same, maybe a hair yellower, but good for driving at night... :) Hour to work in the dark is a piece of cake, but took a toll on bulbs in 2.5 years before I went to the XTR's.

I have another Jetta that needs lights...this was not a fast build and I may not repeat it, but $500 for a set of the FXR ones from VOLX are still serious $$.
cheers,
Douglas

IslandMK5

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2004 Jetta wagon
Very nice. I'm just getting into this myself.
Going with the matchbox projectors for the fogs, mini d2s projectors for the main. Just sorting out relays. Either 2 sets of the motocontrols, or just make my own...

How's the back of the fogs work out? Did you install some rubber caps or something? Can't imagine it fits inside!

IslandMK5

TDI
Or maybe I should just do the main beams and just toss some decent leds into the stock fog projector housings!
Might not be worth the effort, though dual highs/lows sounds nice...lots of dark rural roads here...

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The fog projectors point way down...they will light up the part you need to see past. The mount got trimmed, and it fit in the bucket w/o issue. I suggest you try the micro-D2S; there is not much room in there... :)

The basic bit I am wrestling with for the next build is, 'do I want *JUST a projector for lights, or should I use the little projector and keep the reflector which spreads some light around?' For example, I managed to search up a 3" D2S projector for my son's, and powered it with the 45W Hylux ballast. Where there is light, there is PLENTY of it....above the cut-off there is effectively none. The FXR units from Volx offer the same thing, but without me having to work on them... :) The reflector and small H1 projector in that build has some light above the cut off.

BTW, those projectors did not end up being the Mori Matchbox, but 2" with a stepped shield( same reflector, but a 2" lens a bit further away ). Lightwerkz still carries them. Bi-Xenon: Micro H1 2.0 – Lightwerkz Global Inc They are available direct on Aliexpress for half what LW is charging though if you can wait the month for delivery. https://www.ebay.com/itm/112971930756

Ali 2.0" https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002803256575.html
Ali 1.8" matchbox-with-stepped shield https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002970734929.html

cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:

IslandMK5

TDI
Cool, good info.
I have actually ordered the ddm tuning stuff.
The v3 projectors fall somewhere in between the mini d2s and the micro d2s by morimoto. Good reviews, good enough!
Ddm also makes a mini 2" projector that should suit the fog housing nicely.
Both take the h1 hid kits, simple.
Either way should be pretty solid with 4- h1 35w hid bulbs lighting up the road! 4 highs and 4 lows...good stuff.
Might aim the 2" projectors slightly lower than main projectors to assure no blinding since they are set slightly lower in the headlight assembly.

Will take some pics along the way in case anyone is interested.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I very much doubt that there is more than one maker of that 2" projector. It is a decent one, better than I expected for sure...and I am surprised Mori does not have their laser etching done to some of them. If you need it now, paying is the only Way...but those DDM v3 are about $40 on Aliexpress.
cheers,
Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Not to thread-jack, but…..

it was mentioned above there’s a wiring mod where you can have low and high beams on when you push the stalk? could anyone point me to the info? I have Depo headlights with separate high/lows on the Jetta and would like to make that work.