Injection pump gone? Worth cleaning?

Wgarner1414

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta ALH
Well I had an issue with my car two weeks ago breaking down on me. Found out the quantity adjuster arm was stuck. Broke it free and car fired up so I put on some new fuel lines as I was getting some air in line. Car has kept dieing with arm sticking. So pulled out the quantity adjuster this morning and it’s full of metal shavings! I’m going to say the pump has had it. What do you guys think?? I guess I’ll try to clean it and see if it will run while I decide if I want to invest in a new or rebuilt pump.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'd bet on stuff in the bottom of the pump having failed. Either a camplate return spring, or something in the transfer pump end...
take it all apart and order parts from there, or just toss in a used pump (but reseal it before you put it in)

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, something else to consider is how far those shavings made it. I'd be worried about Injectors having been effected.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Wgarner1414

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta ALH
Well I cleaned everything up and put it back together. Adjusted the injection quantity and seems to be running pretty good. I had to pull injection pump cover back off and adjust arm on quantity adjuster as I kept getting a P1563 lower limit fault. Raised it to about .8V and everything cleared up. Drove it down the road and everything seems to be okay. I’ll try driving it close to home for a few days before I venture out further. Can’t say how long it will last but maybe long enough to decide on which route to go on a pump.