2009 Jetta TDI - dealer says I need a new turbo charger

chris.howard713

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Just read through this post I am having similar issues with my 09 Jetta TDI. I recently purchased the Vagcom and already fixed one issue on my 98 Golf VR6 now to fix my 09 TDI. Below is the faults from my vagcom reading. Here is a brief explanation of what I am seeing my CEL stays on and as long as I go I have no issues (already replaced the turbo boost position sensor). When the car drops down to approx 1200-1400 RPMs (like clock work) the glow plug light comes on and I get the Engine fault workshop on the display and I lose turbo. I can throw it in neutral turn the car off and back on and everything is good until RPMs drop again. First thing tomorrow I am going to try the vacuum test but thought I would see if anything new has come up since the last post in Oct.

Address 01: Engine (CBE) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 997 016 P HW: 03L 906 022 J
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 8681
Revision: --H01--- Serial number: VWX7Z0H424M0Z8
Coding: 0050078
Shop #: WSC 20158 444 98171
VCID: 3F8770986E669DB

2 Faults Found:
009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit
P2563 - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 14
Mileage: 148361 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 00:12:26

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 828 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.98 V
Temperature: 156.0°C
Lambda: -30.0 %
Bin. Bits: 00001110
Voltage: 2.052 V

000175 - Actuator Module for Turbocharger 1
P00AF - 000 - Stuck - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 13
Mileage: 148361 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 00:17:31

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 851 /min
Speed: 6.0 km/h
Load: 19.6 %
Load: 98.8 %
Lambda: 41.8 %
Absolute Pres.: 785.4 mbar
Temperature: 23.4°C

Readiness: 1 2 0 0 0

09jettatdiva

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I am having same issues.. Only mine have progressed! I have no power.. How many miles are on your car? I have had mine in front of 4 different mechanics, and have not gotten the same diagnosis twice!! I am very frustrated, and pissed off! My good friend has the older (06 Passat, and has 275k and still going strong)..

chris.howard713

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Just wanted to let everyone know I have found the issue with my car. I want to say thanks to my VAGCOM and my mechanical abilities I learned at Harley Davidson School. Combining the two I was able to figure it out. If you own a VW you have to buy a VAGCOM. It has payed for its self already fixing my 09 TDI and my 98 GTI VR6. I have already saved my self more than a thousand dollars. OK so lets get to the cause of my issue.

After running the codes I researched the the codes on Ross-tech.com, my service manual and few forums. I started testing all the components in line with the turbo. I started with the Vacuum lines. I tested them all they were good. I pulled up the group in Vagcom and found that while applying vacuum to the turbo actuator all the readings were good the actuator moved and stopped when it should with no issues the voltage in group 120 was correct. But when the car was at idle the voltage was not reading right from the actuator. I double and triple checked the vacuum lines no luck so then I started throwing parts at it I tried the turbo post position sensor since it was one of my codes and then went on to the vacuum regulator (N75). I did not know how to Ohms test it nor the Turbo Actuator so I just decided to replace it. Still no luck. I pretty much gave up after this and thought I might as well just take it to a shop. If you know me I hate being stumped so I started thinking and using some common mechanical since I sat and thought about it. To make a long story short I decided to go pick up a inline vacuum tester to see what I was getting while the car was running. WOW why didn't I think of that before. Maybe because all the lines to the turbo were good who knows but after a little more research I found there is another line I didn't check going from the top of the vacuum pump to the back fire wall. It is a hard vacuum line that has a "S" curve in it. It runs right next to the brake reservoir. If I am not mistaken it is the vacuum line for the ABS brakes. Well after a little looking around I found a big whole in the vacuum line. The brake reservoir bracket rubbed right through it. So you will see a lot of people say check/test your vacuum line for wholes, cracks ....etc. Get a inline vacuum tester its only $25 at your local auto parts store. From what I read you should get about 22-25 in of vacuum at sea level. up where I am in the mountains I saw about 18+/- in of vacuum. If you have this then move on to the N75 regulator or the turbo actuator but you definitely need a VAGCOM. Make sure you order it from them directly or one of there dealers. There are a lot of fakes (or as the company calls them after you buy them and they dont work "REPLICAS.").

I have learned some much about my car and better understand a lot of it. Car runs great now. I still need either buy the original vacuum line or find something that will be more reliable since it is down by the engine it gets hot and a rubber vacuum line gets pretty mushy. Hope this helps someone.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Congrats! Good detective work, if you drink go have a beer, as you certainly deserve it. If not, something else... Again, well done!

chris.howard713

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Believe me it was a huge relief when I finally found the issue. I have been beating myself up for the few months. Knowing that I had the skills to figure it out just not the information. I give props to all the forums out there that I have read to research this issue. I had a few crown and cokes to celebrate.

tcone

TDI
2009 TDI SportWagon
Could dealer service have caused problem

My 09 TDI JSW just got back from service and started doing the same thing.

Flashing glow plug light, limp mode, no torque, etc.

It JUST got out of an oil change, DSG service, Fuel filter change, and injector line vibe damper recall a couple of days ago.

Dealer now says it needs a turbo for $3200.

What are the chances? And more importantly, what options are there?

Thanks,

Tim

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
My 09 TDI JSW just got back from service and started doing the same thing.

Flashing glow plug light, limp mode, no torque, etc.

It JUST got out of an oil change, DSG service, Fuel filter change, and injector line vibe damper recall a couple of days ago.

Dealer now says it needs a turbo for $3200.

What are the chances? And more importantly, what options are there?

Thanks,

Tim

How many miles I guessing 40K? It should be covered under power train warranty.If not covered I ***** up a storm.

How long ago was the service? Make sure they been using the right oil.It has to be (VW 507 approved).I have to look up the part number for the oil.

tcone

TDI
2009 TDI SportWagon
It's got 97,xxx miles.

Dealer says it's not covered under warranty.

The service was 2 days before the problem started.

Last edited:

Sideways240sx

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
09 tdi. 106,000 miles. Just got these two codes today.

P00AF - Actuator Module for Turbocharger 1: Stuck
P2563 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit: Implausible Signal

Cleared them.. Started car, glow plug indicator will start flashing in probably a minute. Car will make boost, and pulls good untill the glow plug light starts flashing again. Car runs, and sound normal...

Might be time to be done with vw...

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1):

Does anyone have the pinout / expected voltage levels at the connector of the Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor . I want to use by VC to run output test on this device. My bentley shows the connector and wires but nothing to describe functionality.

Mine just faied 99K miles , 09 TDI. I am getting sick with the thought of replacing the entire intake manifold to fix the V157 problem.

Texas-Rebel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
2009 2.0L TDI CR
122K miles
My turbo failed too!
No boost, turbo makes loud siren like sound when it spools up. Sounds like the bearing.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=385158

precisely what mine has done.. 160K miles and this is the second turbo that's gone to **** on me.. First one happened at 67K miles.. Unfortunately, I didn't have the extended warranty and paid $2500+ in 2011 to have it replaced..

Now in 2017 the same damn thing happened again just weeks before I'm supposed to turn it in for the BuyBack, and the damn turbo goes out.. and according to VW, the effin car has to be driveable before they can take it back.. I'm like ***?!? Why?? It's going to be crushed or sold in another country.. Let the buyer worry about fixed the damn blown turbo..

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
precisely what mine has done.. 160K miles and this is the second turbo that's gone to **** on me.. First one happened at 67K miles.. Unfortunately, I didn't have the extended warranty and paid $2500+ in 2011 to have it replaced..
Now in 2017 the same damn thing happened again just weeks before I'm supposed to turn it in for the BuyBack, and the damn turbo goes out.. and according to VW, the effin car has to be driveable before they can take it back.. I'm like ***?!? Why?? It's going to be crushed or sold in another country.. Let the buyer worry about fixed the damn blown turbo..

Block it off and drive it in slugging along people on this forum know how to do it ( I don't) ask in the diesel gate forum

Ajcsessz

TDI
Hello everyone.
I'm currently struggling with the p2563 intermitent error on my 2009 Golf mk6 , CBDC engine, 216K kilometers.

I checked vacuum lines, N75, actuator.
interesting is that with a vacuum pump connected to the vnt actuator, i can not pump so that the needle moves, the needle on the gauge does not move , but when testing the N75 i can see the rod of the vnt actuator moving up and down.
can the membrane of the actuator still be broken if it the rod moves ?

I noticed, i also get the error thrown if i pump the brakes 5-6 times. (I believe i also hear a hissing sound from the brake pedal)

Can anyone help with this issue?
Thank you

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Check engine light and glow plug flashing.
Car drives and acts like normal.

Used my Ross-Tech VCDS to see what the code is.
DTC P2563 Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Performance
This code means the sensor has high resistance or signal performance.

I checked the sensor wiring, nothing is broken and the plug is not corroded.

Took the dealer, they are saying the turbocharger is bad and want $3,500 to replace it.

Does this sound normal?
Anyone changed one of these before? Does the engine get pulled?
This can mean 1 or 2 things. But NOT in need for replacing the turbo charger.
As you said, the sensor has high resistance or signal performance. Which tells me this is electrical and not mechanical. Your VGT Actuator is failing, or lost calibration from the nut getting loose and needs to be re aligned again back to factory specs. Or there is also a leak coming from the vaccume line that runs to the VGT solenoid. DONT OVER THINK THIS BECAUSE WHAT THE STEALER SHIP SAYS TO YOU. This issue is strictly electronic based. VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) "solenoids" are constantly under temp, and HOT. Even with the heat shield covered around it.
My advice would be to grab the necessary tools you need to remove and replace the VGT. The dont cost anywhere near $3500, but you will still be spending a few bucks. Hopefully this comment is not too late to stop you from making a major mistake.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
This can mean 1 or 2 things. But NOT in need for replacing the turbo charger.
As you said, the sensor has high resistance or signal performance. Which tells me this is electrical and not mechanical. Your VGT Actuator is failing, or lost calibration from the nut getting loose and needs to be re aligned again back to factory specs. Or there is also a leak coming from the vaccume line that runs to the VGT solenoid. DONT OVER THINK THIS BECAUSE WHAT THE STEALER SHIP SAYS TO YOU. This issue is strictly electronic based. VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) "solenoids" are constantly under temp, and HOT. Even with the heat shield covered around it.
My advice would be to grab the necessary tools you need to remove and replace the VGT. The dont cost anywhere near $3500, but you will still be spending a few bucks. Hopefully this comment is not too late to stop you from making a major mistake.
A little too late, he sold the car in 2012.