Driver Window Slightly Crooked

abbeyinc

TDI
Had two B4 TDi sedans, currently running a 96 B4 TDi wagon.
Hello,
When I put the driver's electric window up, it seats slightly crooked at the top which makes for noticeable wind noise. If I "blip" the down-button slightly the wind noise goes away because the window square up in the slot. What's the cause, and what's the fix?

Thanks

Matt

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
20 years of age
pull the door card off and see what is different from the passenger.

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
B4 Passat window askew. = Worn plastic glides in regulator arm.

Seen this / fixed it.

Been awhile but I had this issue on my B4V several times.

If you remove the inside door skin and plastic sheet curtain you can see the arms of the window regulator.

Part of the regulator's scissor-jack arms lifts up from a fixed horizontal c-channnel slide bar and where the two parts connect is a small plastic rectangle glide with a ball joint recess in its center.

This glide slides sideways inside the c-channel bar and provides the pivot socket that the ball joint tip of the lift leg snaps into.

This light pea green or some times light blue plastic block wears out and needs replacing.

If its worn or has a small crack that allow the metal ball to slop about in the socket then it can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

I was never able to locate replacement parts for these regulators and had to resort to junk yard scrounging.

FYI
I had to break apart the old worn glides to get them out of the channel bar because the ends of the bar are sealed. To get the non-worn replacements in to the slide channel I used two vice grips to spread the right side of the channel near the end and beyond the point that the glide operates within.

Then lube the glide with white grease and insert into the channel and crimp back down the pried-apart end..

Reassemble and try the window. If it is still askew then the upper glide of the regulator arm may be bad as well. Same part and similiar replacement.

Your other option is to buy a regulator from ebay or the such.

I am away from home and car for a couple months or I could send pics and maybe even a glide if I still have any that are good..