P2015 and now P0544 -- what to do? had intended on buyback but not so soon

codex

TDI
2010 Golf
Hi all,

I have a 2010 Golf TDI that I had been planning to hold onto for another year. I love this car and wanted to keep driving it for awhile longer. It was then my intention to sell it back to Volkswagen as per the (Canadian) settlement and upgrade to a larger vehicle for my growing family.

I had also previously decided that beyond routine maintenance I was not willing to put any significant money into repairs in the interim. If issues arose I would move up my plans.

On July 30th (at 110,013km) my MIL lit up upon starting the car. I did a scan and came up with the following:
Code:
008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1) 
P2015 - 003 - Implausible Signal
After some research I decided to keep driving. The MIL went out the next day and didn't return. Moreover, car has felt fine. Was glad the issue seemed to have resolved itself but was also prepared for it to reappear.

Fast forward a couple weeks. On August 16th I start up the car and hear a 'thud' as I begin reversing. Did not think much of it. Car felt fine during the 17km drive to work.

At end of the day as I begin driving home I notice the glow plug light is flashing. I figure a flashing light isn't good, but I nervously continued driving home and parked the car. Later that evening I backed the car out of the driveway to swap positions with the other car in the garage, and it felt a bit rough.

This time the scan indicates the following (at 110,633km and 110,634km respectively)
Code:
001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235) 
P0544 - 001 - Circuit Malfunction - MIL ON

001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235) 
P0544 - 000 - Circuit Malfunction - MIL ON
This time my research indicates I should not continue driving the car. I have not started the engine or moved it from the garage since.
I'm left with a number of questions that I'm trying to tackle:

• Could these two issues be related or are they distinct?
  • Are these issues worth worth fixing to get another 6 months to a year out of the car? Or should I toss in the towel and proceed with the buyback? I'm not overly comfortable with fixing the issues on my own and am not aware of a trustworthy local shop who could fix it for lower cost than the dealer.
  • If I do proceed with fixing the issues, do both need to be resolved or can the first error safely be ignored?
  • I began my buyback claim on August 16th and received the offer within 24 hours. I'm therefore able to sign and proceed with booking an appointment (which I understand would be at least 3 weeks in the future, maybe more). However, I will be travelling in September so realistically the earliest appointment date I can book is early October. Based on this timeline, the car will be sitting for the next 6 weeks.
  • If I keep the car parked, should I start it up now and then or just let it sit?
  • Battery has felt weak since late last year, so (pre-issues) I had been making a point of driving it most days. As such I'm fairly sure the battery will drain if left sitting long. Could a drained battery cause any additional issues?
  • I understand that starting the car and idling actually drains more energy than it recharges, and that I'd need to actually drive the car for at least 10km each time to keep the battery charged. But then I'd be driving with the MIL and flashing glow plug light. And if no regens there's the risk of the DPF clogging...

I'm rather overwhelmed at the moment and would really appreciate any feedback the experts out there can provide. Thank you.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Hi codex,

The P2015 code can be fixed with Dieselgeek's bracket. It can be found here https://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Intake_Manifold_Flap_Position_Sensor_s/1900.htm and Jim usually sends it out very quickly. I had this code only a week before I was scheduled to take my Gen 1 TDI in for the emissions mod and this bracket fixed the check engine light. In regards to the other errors, I will leave it to other forum members to chime in with some advice. BTW, I threw the P2015 code just after 150,000 miles.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
In that other thread you linked on the first exhaust sensor, somebody said they replaced the sensor with a 500 ohm resistor, to enable DPF regeneration. That sounds way easier (if done right at the plug in the firewall) than replacing the temperature sensor.

Last edited:

codex

TDI
2010 Golf
Hi codex,
The P2015 code can be fixed with Dieselgeek's bracket. It can be found here https://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Intake_Manifold_Flap_Position_Sensor_s/1900.htm and Jim usually sends it out very quickly. I had this code only a week before I was scheduled to take my Gen 1 TDI in for the emissions mod and this bracket fixed the check engine light. In regards to the other errors, I will leave it to other forum members to chime in with some advice. BTW, I threw the P2015 code just after 150,000 miles.
I did see that. While my car threw this error the MIL wasn't lit up for long. I was prepared to continue driving in the interim.

It is the other issue that is more concerning. Definitely can't continue driving with the temp sensor not working.
In that other thread you linked on the first exhaust sensor, somebody said they replaced the sensor with a 500 ohm resistor, to enable DPF regeneration. That sounds way easier (if done right at the plug in the firewall) than replacing the temperature sensor.
Personally I don't know enough about the engine to be comfortable implementing this solution.

The temp sensor can be obtained at a reasonable price outside of the dealer. However, at the moment I don't have the time to attempt the fix on my own. If I could find a trusted local shop to install I'd be happy.

scelario

TDI
2010 Jetta
I had the same problem this week. MIL for P2015 showed up when I started my Jetta on 11/1 (113k mi), and none of the threads I found suggested ignoring this would cause serious problems so I figured I'd order the bracket and install it over Thanksgiving holiday. No other error codes were present or stored when I read the code.

The flashing glow plug lights came on the first time I started the car on 11/8. Scanner read P2015 and P0544 on current/last drive and P0220 and P1505 stored. I think DPF regen was two or four short drives (~5-10 mi total) before glow plug light came on. The car still drove fine and I was/am busy this week, so I decided to make sure not to drive more than 200 miles and take it to the shop next week to get the sensor replaced before a 300+ mile drive home for Thanksgiving (= DPF clogged).

This morning the P0544 went away, and considering the variety of air-related errors, I'm guessing the last regen cycle didn't like some readings it got with the non-working flap motor. The P0544 code is completely gone, and it's not in stored codes either. I'm keeping a long screwdriver handy so I can give the motor a nudge when the next regen cycle starts.

codex

TDI
2010 Golf
Interesting that you encountered the same two codes in succession. I wasn't sure if my two codes were related but apparently they may have been.

It's also interesting that your second code went away on its own. Now I wish I had been more adventurous and driven the car a bit after my flashing glow plug light came on.

Instead, I parked my car and sold it back to VW via the settlement in late September. Borrowing a family member's older Audi A4 3.0 while I figure out what my replacement ride will be. Boy does the A4 go through gas. Honestly I am really missing my TDI. :(

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
It's really hard to find something equivalent to the TDI in terms of fuel economy with comparable space and utility especially for the wagon version. If you are looking for even more space for bigger family, and to achieve equal fuel economy, you are out of luck. A 2WD Golf wagon with the 1.4 TSI might be close if VW Canada ever consider offering this configuration.

scelario

TDI
2010 Jetta
P0544 has been coming back intermittently. Wondering if DPF regen combined with P2015 and my driving style toasted the G235 sensor or it's just a coincidence. I've stuck in a 510 ohm resistor for now and am hoping things don't get any worse.