TDI-Toyota-Jeep Hybrid?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The '98 Jetta with 350k is being retired. It's been replaced with a '16 TSI (a few months before they started selling the fixed TDI's :mad:) and is taking up space and insurance money.

Body has some deer damage to the right front and needs paint, interior is pretty worn, seat bolsters sagging, trans is getting balky going into first but engine is still strong and mileage is still where it's always been.

So the AHU is going into the Jeep. I was going to wait for the 01M in the '02 to quit and use the ALH but it's still working fine at 175k.

The CJ only has about 20k on the rebuilt 4.2 with Mopar fuel injection but the trans is noisy and it and the TC LEAK. The only problems are the gas mileage and the super touchy throttle. Very difficult to drive off road. Lotsa fun seeing someone drive it for the first time. It's like they've never driven a stick before.

Rather than rebuild the trans and TC I'm thinking of using a Toy trans with dual TC's. This will let me set up the drivetrain completely before the swap keeping the Jeep driveable during that work. Would also make it easier to sell the Jeep parts since they can be shown as functional to prospective buyers.

The CJ and Toy are within a few hundred pounds of each other so I'm not concerned with the strength of the Toy parts in the Jeep. Since I'll be making driveshafts I may as well install the splitter up front rather than waiting and finding I need it later. Swapping a 1.9l four with aluminum head for a 4.2l all cast iron six will save some weight and the iron D300 probably weighs as much as the dual aluminum Toy TC's

This will put the Wagoneer on the back burner again for a while but It'll let me get rid of the Jetta without giving it away for peanuts and make the Jeep more practical. Heck, a year's insurance will probably pay for the adapter.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Sounds like a fun project! If you do it, you should use one of EVGuy's new Toyota adapters.

Any issues with oil pan clearance and the front axle?

Might consider a re-fresh of the motor if you're planning on any go-faster upgrades while it's out.

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
imho...
I would go with 4.7 low gears instead of dual cases to get the rear driveline at a better
angle. The 4.7's will give you somewhere around 80 to 1 which is plenty low with the
diesel. I'm mostly in 2nd or 3rd in low range.
Nice project.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Sounds like a fun project! If you do it, you should use one of EVGuy's new Toyota adapters.

Any issues with oil pan clearance and the front axle?

Might consider a re-fresh of the motor if you're planning on any go-faster upgrades while it's out.
Dunno about clearance, have to look at other CJ swaps here. Can always mod the pan.

I'd considered redoing the motor but I don't want to mess with it before it's in the Jeep to get a fair comparison between the two on the mileage. No biggie to pull the motor again later.

I'll look at that adapter. I've read about the deficiencies of the other one.

imho...
I would go with 4.7 low gears instead of dual cases to get the rear driveline at a better
angle. The 4.7's will give you somewhere around 80 to 1 which is plenty low with the
diesel. I'm mostly in 2nd or 3rd in low range.
Nice project.
Good point but that doesn't satisfy my love of gadgetry. :D

My son's got a Toy with a creeper box. I'll measure the overall length tomorrow and see how it compares with the stock CJ. I've only got 2" springs and no plans for more.

Thanks for the replies.

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Good point but that doesn't satisfy my love of gadgetry. :D
I took the interlocking pin out of the T-case so that added an extra lever :D
(plus now I can use low in 2wd)

I have duals in my crawler(other zook) with 4.7's and low/low is 206 to 1
never use 1st.
(edit) from bell housing to t-case flange is 45 1/4" long.

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
According to his site, EVGuy's Toeyota adapter is pending?

Also it's for the ALH. Can't remember if the back of the AHU is the same as the ALH?

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ

Also it's for the ALH. Can't remember if the back of the AHU is the same as the ALH?
Just send him an email. He's good at getting back quickly too.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI

Yes the AHU uses the same adapter as the ALH/BEW and newer engines but the block is different so my motor mounts don't work.
Toy adapter is darn close to being ready.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
How close? Probably closer to ready than I am.

Mounts I can make. Big precision parts not so much anymore.

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
German engine turning Japanese boxes in a Jeep; you've got my vote! Only way it could be more sacreligous is if it were a CJ2a.