First impressions after fix-NEUTERED!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
A Malone stage 1 tune is not stock. There is no reason the fixed cars can't be tuned or retuned to any of Malones or other tuners files. It's not like the fix changed the immobilizer.

"stock" stage 1, see the quotes? meaning the stage 1 tune file that was issued before the Gen 1 Fix.

I was asking does Malone need to reissue a new Stage 1 for post fixed cars? Not sure if they've been able to grab a fixed car and rerun tests to see if there's any difference.

From their response looks like more to come once they get some time with the cars.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I got what you were saying. Just giving you a hard time because stock was a poor choice of wording.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
The Malone 1.5 tune was erased last year when VW came out with some required modification. I avoided the modification until it was time to get my annual registration and DMV refused the renewal unless I did the modification.
I put about 150 miles on the car today and my wife put about 100 miles on it (she's also an aggressive driver) and both of us agree that it appears to have as much power as prior to the modification. But I've already contacted Malone and will put my tune (or the 2.0) back on the car. The tune made a big difference when towing my ATV over the Sierra Nevada mountains, which I do fairly often.
I've often wondered if there were states that was going to do this, which is the primary reason I'm getting mine done. Yeah, the money is nice but if you can't relicense your car every year that pretty much makes the fix mandatory. Anyone else experienced this?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I've often wondered if there were states that was going to do this, which is the primary reason I'm getting mine done.
Oh, ffs. How many times does this need to be addressed (and debunked)? No, states are not refusing registration over not having the Dieselgate fix done. They can't. They've specifically agreed not to, with the exception of a few states who haven't taken any of the environmental trust money (and IL is not one of those few).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the confusion here arises from states refusing registration renewal if the pre-dieselgate 2O36 fix wasn't performed. That was then and this is now.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Oh, ffs. How many times does this need to be addressed (and debunked)? No, states are not refusing registration over not having the Dieselgate fix done. They can't. They've specifically agreed not to, with the exception of a few states who haven't taken any of the environmental trust money (and IL is not one of those few).
So you're saying that skromfols isn't telling the truth?

joe schmoe

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual Trans
Just got home in my daughters 2013 6-speed golf, it took them 2.5 days to figure out how to keep the CEL off.

within milliseconds I notice the lack of power. In the lower gears in lot or city traffic it feels like it has no turbo at all, like an old fashion diesel rabbit from the 80s. On the highway the car deff lost a lot of its passing power. For the first time ever I have to downshift to pass someone on flat ground go accelerate from 63-70 MPH. It just didnt move and would have taken 30-45 seconds longer than normal.

I have not read any of the technical docs or other reviews so I honestly have no real idea what they did but I feels as if they moved the turbo spool up another 1000-1500 RPMs before it really kicks in and when it does kick in its more of a nudge than a kick. All that peakyness that was fun at the top of the shift while driving aggressively is gone, replaced by an odd rattle that sounds almost like a lose cat shield on an old car.

Is the car ruined? Not really but it is less fun. Is it worth the $6100 I am getting back? Yes, but if this were MY car and not my kids, I would be using some of that money to undo whatever they did to the fun this car used to have.
I have to agree....Had my 2012 Jetta 6 speed neutered last Friday...It has the SAME symptoms as yours...

Now, I'm debating on blowing away the warranty and getting a Malone's Stage 2 with DPF delete or just call it a diesel powered Prius...

Oh additionally, the fuel mileage is HORRIBLE now, I am getting around 37 MPG now instead of the 45 to 47 MPG before the neuter....

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The Malone 1.5 tune was erased last year when VW came out with some required modification. I avoided the modification until it was time to get my annual registration and DMV refused the renewal unless I did the modification....
As IBW already implied, you need to read more closely: skromfols is referring to a different modification/recall that was required for relicensing, not the dieselgate fix.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
As IBW already implied, you need to read more closely: skromfols is referring to a different modification/recall that was required for relicensing, not the dieselgate fix.
Ok. So if there are states that required it for that modification, why wouldn't they eventually require it for this one? If I've learned anything about bureaucrats, it's the fact that you can never believe what they tell you, and that they'll change their minds instantly if it serves their own agenda....even if they took money or signed an agreement. In my state, we don't have emission laws for diesel vehicles, except for a few counties, so fortunatly I'm FAIRLY confident that I don't need to worry about that here. But in other states, it wouldn't surprise me a bit. And if I ever need to move to one in the future, my car is on record as being modified.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
*Because (AGAIN) they legally signed away that right FOREVER when they accepted $$$ from the settlement*!!!!

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
*Because (AGAIN) they legally signed away that right FOREVER when they accepted $$$ from the settlement*!!!!
LOL! That means nothing. Those who make the rules can "legally", using your word, change them whenever they want to. There are thousands and thousands of examples of this in our own country and every country that exists. It still surprises me how many people (a growing number, sadly) actually believe in and trust our lawmakers and bureaucrats. If they want to require modifications, or anything else, they can and WILL at any time....whether they accepted money, signed an agreement, or accepted the sacrifice of your first-born child. Their 'word' is totally void of credibility and trust. Surely I'm not the only one who sees this going on in our nation.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Fine. Have it your way. Laws and rules don't matter. The bureaucrats will do whatever they want.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
LOL! That means nothing. Those who make the rules can "legally", using your word, change them whenever they want to. There are thousands and thousands of examples of this in our own country and every country that exists. It still surprises me how many people (a growing number, sadly) actually believe in and trust our lawmakers and bureaucrats. If they want to require modifications, or anything else, they can and WILL at any time....whether they accepted money, signed an agreement, or accepted the sacrifice of your first-born child. Their 'word' is totally void of credibility and trust. Surely I'm not the only one who sees this going on in our nation.
The Feds made conset decree (Note not a "rule" but an agreement by all . . .) to which all parties signed and accepted monies. So, the state can't change that, since it wasn't thiers to begin with. Likely you will disagree, so please loosen your tinfoil . . . this isn't a major conspiracy, and frankly, the states have zero motivation to do so, lest they risk losing the funding . . .

Were O'Bumbles the Clown still in charge, I'd have more doubt, but not now . . .

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I can't believe that with our current state of affairs, anyone has the gall to proclaim our former President was in any way, shape or form, worse than the Orange A-hole we "elected."
Don't worry, I won't suppose that it is due to our varying geographical locations - I'll just point to the fact that Twitler proclaimed, on the campaign trail, "I love the poorly educated."

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
And another thread bites the dust....

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Back on topic please.. I have an app. next tues. for my 2011 6mt.. so please if any others have updates to report I'm ALL ears for that info and that info ONLY!!;).. I am also a member ( 16 years or more) on a classical Pontiac site and they have a forum for whatever off topic issues you may have.. prohibiting that crap from the other forums... It's called the "club house".. and requires a password to get in.. anything goes there.. it works!:eek:.. members are warned to stay on topic in other forums..otherwise face getting "punished".. I look forward to any info on the mods.. thanx...

joe schmoe

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual Trans
To do a Malone Stage 2 with DPF delete or NOT that is the QUESTION!!!

Should I worry about killing the new and improved (sarcasm) warranty??

Trying to get back on topic....

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
To do a Malone Stage 2 with DPF delete or NOT that is the QUESTION!!!

Should I worry about killing the new and improved (sarcasm) warranty??

Trying to get back on topic....
If you went into the dealership with an aftermarket tune to repair something covered by the new warranty, yes your warranty would probably vanish...unless you could revert it back to stock before going in.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
For those who care: I just drove my unfixed stock Gen 2 manual Passat back to back with a fixed Gen 3 manual Passat. I realize this is an apples to oranges comparison, but with out a doubt the Gen 3 was entirely neutered. It was slower and more laggy. It did not have the ability to throw you back into the seat like my Gen 2 does.

I have signed up for the buyback rather than wait for a possible future fix for the Gen 2 manual. If I waited for the fix the money would just go to get a tune and unfix it.