Replacing eve filter and /or cracked dpf before fix?

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Really wish vw would have just replaced the dpf on our cars anyway. They have to realize many are on their way out and they will have to warrenty them anyhow
Yes. Economically, it's starting to feel like buyback wins over fix if we have to shell out 1/2 to 1/3 of our restitution money just to get it fixed.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Ughhh, dealer in Austin says the following codes exist and need to be cleared before any fix. Parts and Labor included:

DPF=$4220
EGR=$670
Engine Harness=$9600.75

That's $14,490.75 to fix the car, we'll be changing to buyback. We appealed to VWOA, but I know the outcome. Bad business VW, thats was my 3rd car.
Did the dealership ask for any money to be paid for a diagnostic? A customer backing out of the repair due to out of pocket costs, isn't beneficial to the dealership.

I have no idea what to say about the engine harness.
If enough vehicles continue rolling thru dealership doors requiring DPF and/or EGR replacement, then VW may need to reconsider their current stance.

mj1053

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI DSG
drsven,

They said they'd comp the diagnostic fee, which I was going to pay. I didn't ask for it, but I think they felt sorry for me really. What a cluster.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Dropped my car off this morning to have the modification complete (no check engine light)

They just called and said that they cant complete the modification on my 2010 jsw until I paid them $2242 to have the DPF replaced.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

What should I do now?! :mad:
Doesn't the MIL need to be on to require a pre-existing condition to be repaired (at owner's cost) prior to the fix? Or does a simple "pending" code in the ECM force the a repair before the fix?

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Doesn't the MIL need to be on to require a pre-existing condition to be repaired (at owner's cost) prior to the fix? Or does a simple "pending" code in the ECM force the a repair before the fix?
Not sure about pending codes but claims told me that if there is no check engine light they have to do the fix( as long as it wasnt cleared by customer, i.e. all readiness monitors complete). Claims stated that they cannont determine if a dpf is cracked without removing it from car. They assured me is I have no codes they have to do fix. I doubt I will be that successful but I ll find out Friday. My dealer sucks

mattyams

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
Dropped of my 09 DSG this morning to get the fix. I cleared the P0401 (not like it would matter) when I got to the dealer. Have not heard anything as of 1415 today.

Side note - they gave me a 2017 Kia Soul to drive...tha fak?

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Dropped of my 09 DSG this morning to get the fix. I cleared the P0401 (not like it would matter) when I got to the dealer. Have not heard anything as of 1415 today.

Side note - they gave me a 2017 Kia Soul to drive...tha fak?
You probably are fine. Your getting a new dpf as part of the deal

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
drsven,

They said they'd comp the diagnostic fee, which I was going to pay. I didn't ask for it, but I think they felt sorry for me really. What a cluster.
At least they covered the diag.

Sucks that your car can't be repaired cost effectively. Hopefully it isn't too much of a hassle to switch to the BB.

Last edited:

mattyams

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
Took my 09 DSG in with a P0401 and they did the fix without saying anything about the code. I'm not going to lie, I was a little worried....too bad they did all that work just for me to delete most of it. Sorry, not sorry VW.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Has anyone contacted the lawyers representing the class on this issue?

Seems the dealers have free license to tell any and all of us that we need a DPF. I had mine in a year ago for a CEL and they told me I had a cracked DPF. I took it to my local guru and it was not the case. It wasn't even the right code. Not that any auto repair/shop would EVER tell you that something needs fixing that doesn't :rolleyes:, but we are seriously at their mercy here. There's reports of no lights on at all that are getting told this. And once they tell you that, I bet you are on file and can't get the fix till you shell out the money for repairs, needed or not. This is a completely leveraged and motivated action on the dealer's part.

And how many people experienced a cracked DPF AFTER this all went down, while waiting for VW to come up with a fix. Are those people supposed to shell out repair costs because it took VW so long to come up with the fix? Doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
WOOOTTT !!! dealer just called, and its finally done, after 2 days of getting ready to fight them :) i cleared the codes before i dropped it off like 3 times, soot so deep and thick in tail pipe that even brake cleaner wouldnt remove it. i really think it might be the dealer and the mechanic who works on it... and this is with the Stage 2 and DSG tune still on the car..... now i dont know what to do, drive it for a day and say the DPF is cracked and have them replace it , and get the delete, or just go ahead and get the delete done....

Last edited:

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Just got my car back. Been having po401 and also past two days got p0045 for turbo boost control. Flashing glow plug light as I pulled into dealer to drop off car this morning. Didnt say a word. Signed recall notice and left. Jist picked up car. all done!. No mention of turbo issues or dpf cracked. Car seems to drive fine. A little louder. Went into regen as soon as I left.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Get proper advice

I would suggest contacting the plaintiff counsel to pose these very important questions.
Just because VW dealers are issuing ultimatums reguarding conditions of the fix, I would find out from the plaintiff council the validity of those statements.
VW dealers may be telling you what's in their best interest, but never specified in the court documents.
Just my opinion.