West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - October 2017

Boostdcrx91

TDI
Looking for one
Sign me up for a tune for a 05' golf bew and it's stock for right now but looking for performance parts till then so if anyone has anything I can use let me know. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - Oct. 2017
Different Option to the Fall GTG -

Feeler for whether or not anyone would like to have an Alloy Rim Refinisher at the GTG that day. I have a good guy in West MI that I've used, he is reasonable, can fix curbage, or bent rims and is willing to come in if the schedule works.
Please Indicate if you have real interest, I'll start a sign up list if there is interest.

Looking forward to it again,
Kirk and Linda
Should be there as usual!

Interested in refinishing my rims as I got my NMS Passat with minor curbage. Shoot me a PM on this please. Since I'm close enough can also come up to see your guy sometime if he can't make it out to your GTG.

I bet you won't hear from Mark of Diesel until the snow is about to fly! :p

Last edited:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Sign me up for a tune for a 05' golf bew and it's stock for right now but looking for performance parts till then so if anyone has anything I can use let me know. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
you've been added to the list - we;ll see you there

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
What's up?!
We have yet to hear from our resident snowplow pilot and orange pajama crew leader!
--JohnD
Huh! Wha? I'm here, I could say I'm just waiting to build up the suspense but more like I didn't know y'all cared... I/we'll see you there and no, the snow isn't flying up here yet 251 but it's close... :eek:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Dang with both Mark AND Bruce coming I might have to throw my hat into the ring... if I'm allowed to bring up my Dirty Diesel... Schmutz the 2015 GSW....

On the Used parts front, if there is a MK4 Golf hood and Grille available, I would be interested in a price quote.. and MIGHT change the vehicle I bring up.. if its back on the road by then...

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dang with both Mark AND Bruce coming I might have to throw my hat into the ring... if I'm allowed to bring up my Dirty Diesel... Schmutz the 2015 GSW....
Only if you left Jeff tune it. And if you don't want to do that for warranty reasons, at least get a DSG tune.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
On the Used parts front, if there is a MK4 Golf hood and Grille available, I would be interested in a price quote.. and MIGHT change the vehicle I bring up.. if its back on the road by then...
Per Kirk's first post:

USED PARTS NOTE: I believe Chris Thompson (username CTTDI) will be here (as he was the last 4 years) with used Mk4 parts galore for sale, so put your used parts shopping list together. He is also starting to part MK5 and MK6 cars as well.

I suggest you contact Chris direct for the quote you desire as he does not really monitor the forums or this thread. While he brings parts a hood is not brought unless it is arranged in advance. Also remember the parts cars he has access to are usually from the upper midwest and may be more prone to rust issues. So any hood he comes up with may not be in better condition than what is currently on your A4 now.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Only if you left Jeff tune it. And if you don't want to do that for warranty reasons, at least get a DSG tune.
Any idea what a DSG Tune runs from Jeff? I know the malone ones were $4-500 or so and if thats still the case then Ill keep the car stock for now.. too rich for my blood...

what does a DSG tune alone do.. I know its needed (or at least strongly recommended) if you tune the engine at all I just am not sure what issues it prevents all on its own... Coming from years of 5 speeds, I havent exactly kept up on DSG mods...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jeff could describe this better than me, but the DSG tune will improve shift points (think between normal and sport mode), and keeps the transmission out of 6th below 50-52 MPH. My experience is that it eliminates the annoying habits of the DSG (dropping into second at 1800 RPM when accelerating slowly, trying to get into 6th as fast as possible, lugging in 6th at low speeds). Jeff says the reflash improves city FE and highway stays the same. I don't know what he charges for it.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Thinking about this GTG. It's about 4 hours away because there's a pesky Great Lake in the way. My OEM rims, which I use for my snow tires, could use a major refreshment. Should the wheels/tires be on the car or arrive off separately?

Update: I just booked a room near the Grand Rapids airport, so as of now I'm coming to the GTG.

Last edited:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Thinking about this GTG. It's about 4 hours away because there's a pesky Great Lake in the way. My OEM rims, which I use for my snow tires, could use a major refreshment. Should the wheels/tires be on the car or arrive off separately?

Update: I just booked a room near the Grand Rapids airport, so as of now I'm coming to the GTG.

Great! It'll be good to have you there.

As far as the rims go, it does not matter, we can pull it into the shop and remove wheels if necessary.

All four then?

Kirk

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
As far as the rims go, it does not matter, we can pull it into the shop and remove wheels if necessary.

All four then?

Kirk
Yes, all four are in sad shape. It'll be easier to drive up (over?) to MI with them on the car. Any idea about what's involved and price. My OEM wheels have a lot of peeled paint. They don't have to be super special looking, but better than what they are would be ideal.

Last edited:

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Kirk: Do you know if Jeff can / would tune a 2010 MB ML350 Bluetec?? It can't be tuned via OBDII, but I was wondering if he could do it some other way and the day of the GTG.

-Mike B

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
Planning on coming as well. Probably will bring an assortment of random parts for MK4 and ALH cars. Not nearly as much crap as I brought last time. Of course... if that is cool.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, all four are in sad shape. It'll be easier to drive up (over?) to MI with them on the car. Any idea about what's involved and price. My OEM wheels have a lot of peeled paint. They don't have to be super special looking, but better than what they are would be ideal.
I think about $75 per rim, but I'll check with him

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Kirk: Do you know if Jeff can / would tune a 2010 MB ML350 Bluetec?? It can't be tuned via OBDII, but I was wondering if he could do it some other way and the day of the GTG.

-Mike B

Knowing him, I would bet he can, but I'd check with him first.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Huh! Wha? I'm here, I could say I'm just waiting to build up the suspense but more like I didn't know y'all cared... I/we'll see you there and no, the snow isn't flying up here yet 251 but it's close... :eek:
You do know we care, right? Wouldn't be the same without you there and good to know you'll be in attendance... :cool:

Was pretty chilly a couple of days ago. Didya see any snowflakes up there? :p

fungi131

TDI
2005 golf
I plan on coming up again. This will be my fourth year straight, looking forward to it.
Put me down for another tune. I Upgraded my turbo to a gt1756 hybrid and I'm smoking like a chimney. :D

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Hey Kirk, what's up with the rim refinisher? Do you know just what will be able to be done? I've got a rim for the winter tires that I had a crack and bend worked on but it still seeps air. Can he/she do anything for it at the GTG? Does he/she need the tire off too? Sooo many questions...

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
I plan on coming up again. This will be my fourth year straight, looking forward to it.
Put me down for another tune. I Upgraded my turbo to a gt1756 hybrid and I'm smoking like a chimney. :D
added your name to the tune list Sir

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Kirk, what's up with the rim refinisher? Do you know just what will be able to be done? I've got a rim for the winter tires that I had a crack and bend worked on but it still seeps air. Can he/she do anything for it at the GTG? Does he/she need the tire off too? Sooo many questions...
I believe he can correct most issues, but I'm sure he'll assess it first and let you if he can't do anything with it. It's just a thought now, I need to see if there is enough interest to invite him to be here for the day. He would not need the tire off of the rim as long as he fixing the face - he can break the bead down and leave tire in the same orientation (saves rebalancing), and when he's done he'll pop the bead back on. If your crack is on the backside, then he may need to completely dismount tire.

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Gonna try to be there, hopefully with little work to do and a bit of thirst. BTW, Mark-O, I'm figuring on driving my '53 MG up to Aldan this weekend and meeting some folks at Short's Saturday night. Hopefully, my distributor won't self-destruct this time. I know, "what's a distributor, anyhow?" ;-)
JohnD

TDI
2003 jetta
I'm planning on it this year... missed it last year. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
I'll probably throw in a new fuel filter and replace the air filters to kill some time while I'm there.
Need to get some struts in too, but I'll probably get those in before October rolls around.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm planning on it this year... missed it last year. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
I'll probably throw in a new fuel filter and replace the air filters to kill some time while I'm there.
Need to get some struts in too, but I'll probably get those in before October rolls around.
Yeah, Mister Nathan!

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Knowing him, I would bet he can, but I'd check with him first.

Hey, Kirk: I spoke to Jeff and he says he could do the ML350 Bluetec but it would take a few hours... He would have to pull the ECU to do the work. Too much time to take up during your GTG. I'll make other arrangements... It's too bad, because the 2010 MB ML350 BT has a different ECU than previous versions so it can't be tuned via OBDII. Oh well...

Last edited:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Gonna try to be there, hopefully with little work to do and a bit of thirst. BTW, Mark-O, I'm figuring on driving my '53 MG up to Aldan this weekend and meeting some folks at Short's Saturday night. Hopefully, my distributor won't self-destruct this time. I know, "what's a distributor, anyhow?" ;-)
JohnD
Hope to see you again John!