IMHO buyback will be held mostly during the first 2 weeks of each month

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
...due to the mileage deduction.

Waiting 2 extra weeks would deduct an extra 1000+ miles from your mileage, eventually making you fall into the previous bracket (therefore more $$$)

what do you think?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
...due to the mileage deduction.

Waiting 2 extra weeks would deduct an extra 1000+ miles from your mileage, eventually making you fall into the previous bracket (therefore more $$$)

what do you think?
If this is true, it is another opportunity for VW to aggravate and alienate potential customers. Won't happen.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
If this is true, it is another opportunity for VW to aggravate and alienate potential customers. Won't happen.
i am not saying VW will do it, i am saying people will decide to schedule their buyback only in the first 2 weeks, nobody is going to pick the final days of the month when, scheduling the buyback a few days later, would give them more $$$

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
Based upon the behavior some have posted for getting every little piece of perceived lucre out of the situation I can see owner/sellers doing what Claudio states, at last some.

But them I am marginally cynical about my fellow bipeds, in general.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I doubt they'd do that. It would delay the process and potentially cause them to not be able to close out buybacks within their 90 day window...exposing them to additional fines.

For them...I doubt very much that it's worth d1ck1ng around like this to attempt to save a few extra bucks. Keep in mind...a LOT of people have already bought replacement vehicles. For every one or two vehicles that might run over the next mileage bracket...there's one or two that will cost them money because it's parked and not racking up miles

Now if you're talking about people taking the buyback trying to time theirs based on how they thing it will impact their mileage deduction...then yes...I can see that happening.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
i am not saying VW will do it, i am saying people will decide to schedule their buyback only in the first 2 weeks, nobody is going to pick the final days of the month when, scheduling the buyback a few days later, would give them more $$$
Yes, one's adjusted mileage can be reduced by 1042 each month, but the mileage windows are 5000 miles wide. This means it could take up to five months for the value of the vehicle to actually increase. The value does not go up each month as I infer otherwise from your post.

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
Yes, one's adjusted mileage can be reduced by 1042 each month, but the mileage windows are 5000 miles wide. This means it could take up to five months for the value of the vehicle to actually increase. The value does not go up each month as I infer otherwise from your post.
Exactly, and that is only if you aren't driving it at all! Drive 500 miles a month and it could take 10 months (thats my situation, It isn't worth it for me to care and I am just happy I have no risk of going into a higher mileage bracket)... I don't think the majority of people out there are optimizing their buyback payout to that level, even if a lot on this forum may be.

jsplinter

TDI
Jetta
I do t drive mine at all, but I would have to wait three more months passed my calculated December turn in for the next bracket. That would save me $400. I will take my money as soon as I can...lol

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Your actual turn in date might not be till Feb 17. And if so why not wait one more month? $400 can cover a lot of visits to Whataburger. Copperas Cove must have at least one.

jsplinter

TDI
Jetta
Ok, if my turn-in date is pushing closer to allowing me more money than I may wait a month. I am hoping it isn't pushed out until February though

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
Your actual turn in date might not be till Feb 17. And if so why not wait one more month? $400 can cover a lot of visits to Whataburger. Copperas Cove must have at least one.
I don't remember Copperas Cove having a Whataburger. There was a place where you could get a killer breakfast burrito though. I did love Whataburger...

jsplinter

TDI
Jetta
There is a whataburger now, we have a new shopping complex with one. And that breakfast burrito place is still there. I have been grabbing one every weekend lately after my morning hunts

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Pay another month's worth of auto insurance to get a few more $$ on the buyback? No thanks. I'm hoping to part with the car I'm selling back as soon as I can.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I doubt they'd do that. It would delay the process and potentially cause them to not be able to close out buybacks within their 90 day window...exposing them to additional fines.

For them...I doubt very much that it's worth d1ck1ng around like this to attempt to save a few extra bucks. Keep in mind...a LOT of people have already bought replacement vehicles. For every one or two vehicles that might run over the next mileage bracket...there's one or two that will cost them money because it's parked and not racking up miles

Now if you're talking about people taking the buyback trying to time theirs based on how they thing it will impact their mileage deduction...then yes...I can see that happening.
I agree with this, and it doesn't even mention the fact that VW has laid on 900 more employees to deal with this.....that's some payroll! The faster they can implement their program and get the initial big rush of turn-ins over, the faster they can start laying those people off and cut their overhead. The Audi training video implied as much. So- no "d1ck1ng around."

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
You wouldn't spend $30-$40 extra for insurance to get $400 more from the buyback. Really???

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
People concerned about getting the most from the deal will wait the full 2 years. Everyone else will get the first appointment they can.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
There is a whataburger now, we have a new shopping complex with one. And that breakfast burrito place is still there. I have been grabbing one every weekend lately after my morning hunts
I can suddenly remember early morning operations on W Ft. Hood and someone coming back with burritos. That and the kolaches from Shipley Donuts are some of my best memories from the "great place".

jsplinter

TDI
Jetta
I can suddenly remember early morning operations on W Ft. Hood and someone coming back with burritos. That and the kolaches from Shipley Donuts are some of my best memories from the "great place".

Air Force or Army? We used to always get those burritos for work in the morning. Air Force here

Nurse Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen 6-spd. MT
Just one question: Why are most people doing the buyback? Is it because you're getting so much money for your cars? Dissatisfaction with VW's "cheating"?
I love my car and have only had it two years. This decision is causing me some anxiety. On the one hand, I could do the buyback and turn around and buy another TDI for less money, or I can get the "fix," still unproven as to problems IMO, or I could do nothing and hope all parts are still available down the road.
AAARRGH

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My sister did the buyback because their family no longer needs two vehicles, and the buyback meant getting more for it than the car was worth on paper and more than it could ever be sold for privately.

A friend of mine did the buyback because his car was gradually becoming a pile. Repeated EGR flap failures, A/C inoperative, touchscreen inoperative, clutch issues. Yes, the flap would have been replaced and covered under the emissions warranty, but it wouldn't have addressed the other issues.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
As a counterpoint, I have chosen to *NOT* do the buyback, since I have not seen anything that would be a suitable replacement without dumping in a lot more $$$. I know the history of my car, and have had only a few trivial issues. The money for the fix is good, as is the warranty. Yes, I am waiting a bit for more history of any effects, but regardless, the warranty will cover them (if there even are any). For me, it's not just about the $$$ . . . that's actually pretty far down the list.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Just one question: Why are most people doing the buyback? Is it because you're getting so much money for your cars? Dissatisfaction with VW's "cheating"?
<snip>
We're doing the buyback, and VW's "cheating" is of absolutely no moment to us, and I can't understand for the life of me why anyone is all upset about that. They broke the law, they got caught, and they're paying according to a legal settlement arrived at in Federal Court. Res ipse loquitur.
We're doing the buyback because we can't turn down being paid a few thousand dollars less than a car we bought new in July of '13 for $29K. we get to drive a car for 5 1/2 years, put 80-90K on it, and get most of our money back? In our situation (car was bought new for cash, no lien, no other transportation issues) it's hard to see it any other way. Other people's mileage, of course, may vary.....

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
If I lost only a few thousand, I'd probably also return it. But buyback for a 2102 JSW is apparently a lot different than the situation for a 2013 Passat. I'd loose $8k, plus whatever I'm going to pay in taxes for the replacement car. It might look different a year from now, but right now there's nothing out there that interests me, except for another TDI, and those are darn pricey. So, I'll wait a little longer and see what shows up on the market, and if nothing pops up, then maybe I'll get the fix.