dealership goons and the misfueling guard

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
So when I received the letter in the mail saying that the HPFP warranty was tied to having the misfueling guard installed on the vehicle, I immediately called the dealership (80 miles down the road) and set up an appointment to have it installed. Went to dealership, sat there for 5 minutes before one of the guys comes and tells me his computer says it was installed in 2013 (before I got the car). I'd seen pics of the guard on this forum and it didn't appear to me that it had been, but this guy from the dealership is telling me 'yes, you're in good shape'. I said give me something in writing that says it's been installed. He gives me a generic looking computer printout, not on VW letterhead, that shows all the TSB/recall stuff that's been done to the car since '11. I turn around and drive 90 minutes back home, having accomplished nothing. I thought it would have been nice of them to tell me it had already been installed at the time I called to setup the appointment, but whatever.

A month or so later I decide to get new tires and I wanted to pull that lug nut key out for the tire shop so they could get the rims off. I open up the area where the spare sits and here sits this little cardboard box on top of the spare. I open the box and instantly recognize the parts inside as the misfueling guard I had seen on this forum. Evidently the dealership just gave it to the previous owner to install as he saw fit, and he chose not to bother with it.

I don't know what to do about this situation. I already wasted time and money going to have it installed once before, don't really feel like going through it again. On the other hand, I don't want a warranty claim to get denied because they look and see that guard isn't on there. Any thoughts?

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Next time you are up at the Dealer show him the Box. The guy just went by the PC.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I don't know what to do about this situation. I already wasted time and money going to have it installed once before, don't really feel like going through it again. On the other hand, I don't want a warranty claim to get denied because they look and see that guard isn't on there. Any thoughts?
You have 3 choices:

1. If you are paranoid (no insult intended; levels of paranoia vary); then install it yourself or have the dealership do it. It isn't hard, AT ALL to put in place if you want the "comfort level".
  2. If you are not overly concerned but just want the peace of mind for warranty; put it right back where you found it. If your car ever dies and needs to go to the dealer for warranty work; just install it before the car is towed.
  3. If you aren't worried or your car is basically out of warranty. Sell it for $10 to someone who has a warranty but doesn't have a misfuel guard. Win win in my book :D

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Next time you buy the car check the spare wheel well BEFORE you make the decision to purchase. It might have been rear ended and it is difficult to mask any signs of repair at that area (usually nobody bothers to do that).

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
Also, there is a new version of the misfuel guard. the new one is likely different than the one you have in your trunk.

The new one does not have the flap that closes the hole off and is much better than the older version over all.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I don't understand why you are calling the dealership employees "goons". The service dept checked their records which showed the sale of the guard. If it was me I wouldn't go any further.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
I don't understand why you are calling the dealership employees "goons". The service dept checked their records which showed the sale of the guard. If it was me I wouldn't go any further.
2¢… the techwriter and the dealer's line mechanics are subjecting the owner to an unreasonable financial loss since…
… the HPFP warranty was tied to having the misfueling guard installed on the vehicle
Quite simply, the fact they "sold one" DOES NOT satisfy the specifications of the extended warranty.

But you knew that.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
2¢… the techwriter and the dealer's line mechanics are subjecting the owner to an unreasonable financial loss since…Quite simply, the fact they "sold one" DOES NOT satisfy the specifications of the extended warranty.

But you knew that.
And you know that the previous owner chose not to install the guard? Or removed it?

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
And you know that the previous owner chose not to install the guard? Or removed it?
Huh ? Didn't I read that the OP… FOUND THE "GUARD" in the sparetire well ?

Last edited:

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Which means that the previous owner had the guard in his possession and put it in the trunk by either
1. failing to install it after he/she acquired it
or
2. acquired it by removing it from the filler neck

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
Which means that the previous owner had the guard in his possession and put it in the trunk by either
1. failing to install it after he/she acquired it
or
2. acquired it by removing it from the filler neck
Phhhht… the dealer told the new owner "you're good to go" which, in no way satisfies the warranty requirements since everybody at the dealer KNOWS THE GUARD MUST BE INSTALLED to satisfy that specific HPFP warranty requirement.

The service writer had no business telling the OP that he was good to go, simply because a Parts Receipt said one had been bought.

n.b. I do agree… the folks at this dealership aren't goons… they're IDJUTS !

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
As mentioned, don't install it, if it's the early version of the misfueling guard. What is the specific date that it was given to the previous owner?

My JSW was in for the 30K service on June 17, 2013. They did not install the misfueling guard, stating that there is an issue with the current one, and they are removing as many as they put in.

I was back at the dealer on September 4, 2013 for the annual state inspection. They installed the guard at that time, part no. 5K0-201-400. don't know if this number of different than the earlier version. They said it's a newer version of the guard and has been fine.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Phhhht… the dealer told the new owner "you're good to go" which, in no way satisfies the warranty requirements since everybody at the dealer KNOWS THE GUARD MUST BE INSTALLED to satisfy that specific HPFP warranty requirement.

The service writer had no business telling the OP that he was good to go, simply because a Parts Receipt said one had been bought.

n.b. I do agree… the folks at this dealership aren't goons… they're IDJUTS !
All we know is what the original poster told us.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Update

Also, there is a new version of the misfuel guard. the new one is likely different than the one you have in your trunk.

The new one does not have the flap that closes the hole off and is much better than the older version over all.
As mentioned, don't install it, if it's the early version of the misfueling guard. What is the specific date that it was given to the previous owner?

My JSW was in for the 30K service on June 17, 2013. They did not install the misfueling guard, stating that there is an issue with the current one, and they are removing as many as they put in.

I was back at the dealer on September 4, 2013 for the annual state inspection. They installed the guard at that time, part no. 5K0-201-400. don't know if this number of different than the earlier version. They said it's a newer version of the guard and has been fine.
For the record, my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition had the mis-fuel guard installed before I purchased it 2+ years ago. It did not have the flap feature. VW P/N 5K0-201-400 is the only kit currently available for my car, and it has the flap. So I'm thinking the original kit either did not have the flap part installed, or it was not installed correctly and is now down in the tank. The new VW P/N 5K0-201-400 kit that I just got from VW is identical to what I already have installed, except it also contains the flap piece. I'm thinking it is important to have the entire kit in place to get the extended HPFP warranty (as the flap is a deterrent in trying to get a pump nozzle that is too small to work at all, without the flap, it would be possible to get fuel (gasoline) into the tank with the nozzle not completely down in the fill tube.). So I think I will only install the flap portion to bring it back to the complete full kit install. Based on the instructions on the 20T8 campaign code, the installation of the flap looks straight forward enough.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You didn't even look in the spare tire compartment when you bought your car and the dealer service adviser is a goon? Somehow the "math" doesn't work for me............

You should have gone to the parts department instead of the service desk. You could have easily said that no matter what the computer says, the guard is missing and they would have sold you one. What the Service adviser meant to say is that the required guard was provided for your car and that VW's responsibility has been satisfied.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd just keep it in the trunk. Unless I was loaning my car out to people who might misfuel it. I've come across several diesel pumps with the smaller gas nozzles mistakenly installed on them.