Help diagnose the smoke

willm

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2006 V10 TDI Touareg
Hi folks,

Just needing a little help diagnosing the smoke. The last two items I added to my car was the VNT-17 and of course the program to go with it. The car smokes even on light takeoff with ac on. The Kerma guys said that I shouldn't be getting much smoke with my setup and that something else must be wrong. I have had the turbo in awhile but have been running my old vnt-15 tune to reduce the amount of smoke. Had time to take it to the local foreign performance shop to have them take a look. They said the intake was clean (had it cleaned 2 1/2 years ago and put blocker plates in). They checked the injection values and found the air mass sensor values are to high causing a rich mixture. Do you think that just changing the MAF sensor will take care of it? Is there a particular one I should put on? Do I need a new tune? Any help would be appreciated.

Will

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Questions:

-IQ, what is the set value at idle (No A/C).
-What are the two timing values at idle in Basic settings.
-Do you have the default value set in the electronic timing blocks: 32768?
-What is the detected fuel temperature.
-When was the last timing belt done and were the factory tools used to set the cam/pump/crank timing? The point is that improper cam timing can cause very hard to diagnose smoking issues and will not throw a code.

Last edited:

willm

TDI
IDrivbiwire-I don't have a single answer for you. Don't have the software or the knowledge so I have to rely on the local foreign performance guys. However, I will take it back to them and check these things out.

Oh, I do have a couple of answers: The timing belt was done at around 70k with the specialty tools that were bought with the 100k belt kit.

Do you think I should unplug the MAP and see how it drives? Just to see if it runs differently?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I suspect you have incorrect timing and excessive IQ (low IQ value) that and the heat of summer will increase the smoke output.

As a rule of thumb, you need to raise the IQ by 2.0 in the summer to maintain the same smoke levels in the winter. Fuel temps and the emissions programmed into the ECU work against you (thank the NOx gods for that stupidity).

willm

TDI
Thanks Drivbiwire. I will ask the guys to make an adjustment. In the mean time I am thinking I should get the 3 bar as Kerma said it would make things easier to tune.

djd58 I am running pp520's. How do you like your .681? I am about to take a job that will put me on an hour commute every day each way. Mostly expressway. Thinking it would make sense to have the taller gear.

djd58

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2001 Golf TDI,2011 Golf TDI, 2012 Passat TDI 2014 Q5 tdi
Ive had it for a couple years, allows me to do 65 at about 2000 rpm, quieter as well,

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Also check for a boost leak. If you have a leak on the charge pipe you won't be getting the air you should be, which would mean you are running rich. You can still have boost and have a leak.

Lower intercooler pipe is a good place to start.

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
check iq,timing,boost leaks,leave the maf alone it's high maf values are normal to any tuned car

willm

TDI
Thanks for the input guys. Paul at Kerma is helping me now so we will see how it turns out. I appreciate all the input.

Willm

willm

TDI
Sounds like I really need the VAG in order to help figure out the smoke. Will that software work on my v10 as well? I hate to buy a laptop and the software for the Jetta only.

Willm

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Sounds like I really need the VAG in order to help figure out the smoke. Will that software work on my v10 as well? I hate to buy a laptop and the software for the Jetta only.

Willm
You can buy a netbook like an ASUS Eee Pc. It's less expensive than a full blown laptop and it has nice portability, especially for travelling and in-car use. Some models have up to 9 hour battery life.

Or find an older laptop at craigslist.org. Once in a while you'll find a tdiclub member selling their laptop+VCDS (VAG-COM) package.

Try to pick a laptop/netbook with a matte screen. A glossy screen can be difficult to read outside, even in a cloudy day. Not a big deal if you won't use the laptop often though.

Yes, VCDS will work for your V10 TDI. I worked on one a few days ago.

This article is dated but it describes how to check your IQ at idle. Set the default 32768 adaptation value and if necessary do a hammer mod. Also check timing, boost leaks, etc. like others said.

Last edited:

willm

TDI
Malone, do you do any tuning for the v10?

You can buy a netbook like an ASUS Eee Pc. It's less expensive than a full blown laptop and it has nice portability, especially for travelling and in-car use. Some models have up to 9 hour battery life.

Or find an older laptop at craigslist.org. Once in a while you'll find a tdiclub member selling their laptop+VCDS (VAG-COM) package.

Try to pick a laptop/netbook with a matte screen. A glossy screen can be difficult to read outside, even in a cloudy day. Not a big deal if you won't use the laptop often though.

Yes, VCDS will work for your V10 TDI. I worked on one a few days ago.

This article is dated but it describes how to check your IQ at idle. Set the default 32768 adaptation value and if necessary do a hammer mod. Also check timing, boost leaks, etc. like others said.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Reminder to myself:

Regarding IQ numbers & VCDS:
Lower IQ number --> MORE fueling and more smoke
Higher IQ number --> LESS fueling and less smoke
The reported IQ should be somewhere in the 2.2-9.0 range.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
smoke, sluggish performance

Hy guys. Im also having a smoke issue with my 05 jetta.. Stage 2 tune stock injectors, cold air intake and straight through xhaust and it still smokes a decent haze through all the gears.. Is this normal? Seems a little heavy to me. Maf is good had a vw guy check that with vcds.. Also my 0 to 60 is in the upper 10s.... any thoughts?? Thanks!

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Hy guys. Im also having a smoke issue with my 05 jetta.. Stage 2 tune stock injectors, cold air intake and straight through xhaust and it still smokes a decent haze through all the gears.. Is this normal? Seems a little heavy to me. Maf is good had a vw guy check that with vcds.. Also my 0 to 60 is in the upper 10s.... any thoughts?? Thanks!
If you are only getting smoke at 90+% throttle that is normal. The tune is making more power by increasing fueling a lot over stock with a little added boost. If you are getting it at like 50% throttle then there maybe something to look into.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Yeah it smokes pretty well the full rpm range in all gears. puts out a pretty big cloud if you stomp it from a standstill.. and the 10-11 second 0-60?? my buddies stock 05 5 speed does just as well.. just seems to me like theres something thats not quite right, like maybe a boost leak something of the sort unless im xpecting too much from it. i did a thruway run recently and only averaged 32 mpg... is this really all the better theyl do? :confused::(