Low Tire Light ON.. All tires OK !!!

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
FYI: According to the owners manual for my 7/2010 build 2011 JSW, the car is equipped with a TPMS using anti-lock brake sensors instead of the wheel/tire mounted sensors.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Just had my car in to have it's 10k service done.

While there, they did another software update/recall.

97T2/YW: Software Update Body Control Module

I took a look at the TSB at the dealership to find out what it was. This update is meant to fix this TPMS problem.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I had my 2010 Golf in yesterday for the same problem, around 4900 miles. The light came on Thursday, I checked tire pressure and it was fine. I drove home, plugged in my Vag Com and checked the 4 channels and the 2 for the back tire had reset from 26 to 55. I let the dealer do the update so hopefully it won't happen again. They also did the O2 sensor flash, even though my light wasn't on.

eric 2010 golf

TDI
2010 Golf 6-sp manual
I kept my last TDI for 190k miles, 12 years, actually still miss it... but from the posts here, I am afraid the new car is way too finicky to last that long. Is there anyone out there with some positive news about having NO or few problems with these cars? I mean, I know they're new the US and we are the ones who are testing them... but really. I should also disclose, I sold VW for 10 years... and still I'm kinda scared to own it past warranty.

Mr. Monk

TDI
Grey MkVI Golf 6MT
Me too...

My tire pressure monitor light came on also. I thought It was because of my after market wheels. I checked the pressure, and saw nothing wrong but added about 2psi per wheel anyway and now its off. Hopefully it stays off.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Mine came on yesterday at 16,000 miles..........I checked the tires there were all at 29.........there were 2 codes that wouldnt erase.........I pump them all to 35 and the light went out........and the codes erased!

Moccasin

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My light came on after the weather got cooler very quickly a week or two ago. Put all 4 tires up to 38psi and the light is still sticking around. Otherwise the car is fine, so I really don't want to take it to the dealer...

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My light came on after the weather got cooler very quickly a week or two ago. Put all 4 tires up to 38psi and the light is still sticking around. Otherwise the car is fine, so I really don't want to take it to the dealer...
I'd try pumping the tires up to 40 psi to see if the light would go off. It'll take 3 minutes only to try. Maybe your tire pressure gauge is miscalibrated...

NowhereTDI

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
My tire pressure light also came on within the past week or two and I topped off the tires to 39-40 psi and the light did not go off. I dropped in to the service department and they asked right away if it was a 2010 - they knew there was an issue and i'll be taking it in next Friday to have the TPMS reprogramed and also to fix the rear washer nozzle leak for which they also knew of a TSB. They said the software bug causes the TPMS to look for 60 psi(!), so no amount of inflating will reset the light. BTW, I'm at around 4500 miles right now on my 2010 Golf TDI.

dimp

TDI
2010 Shark Blue Golf TDI aka Dixie Daisy
TPMS light... AGAIN!

Had TPMS updated at the dealership 2 weeks ago...and the light went off... but now the light is on AGAIN! I checked all the tires, including the spare and added air as needed. The light is still blinking for about a minute when the car is started... Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas!?:confused::confused:

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Interesting. When I started my car this afternoon, I heard one ding, but by the time I got my head turned around from the back seat no lights were lit. It's pretty annoying when I feel like I have to carry my laptop and VagCom cable wherever I go in case the car acts up.

forester77

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
My light came on yesterday at 4K miles. Checked all the pressures and all was good, so its off to the dealer next week...

Rambler29

TDI
2010 Jetta sportwagen
2011 tpms

I have a 2011 JSW ...the tpms light came on...took it to the dealer and they found a wire underneath the car had been chewed through by... I suspect my new four month old kitten. They fixed it free of charge, which not being a VW fault was a nice gesture. For those of you that don't know the 2011's have a new system without individual tire sensors....anyway I can recommend Sisbarro VW in Las Cruces NM as a place to do business.

vschaos

TDI
2010 TDI Golf - retired, Another soon
Just had the light come on in my car. I called the dealership and will bring it by this evening. I mentioned this forum and what others have found....he mentioned that they generally check the tire pressure first..if light stays on or comes back they will then update the system.

vschaos

TDI
Well on way to dealership the low tire pressure light went off just before I arrived :( The dealership stated my tire pressure was 32 in all tires so they pumped them up to 38. I drove home and all was well until this morning when the light came back on. So now that the light is back on I will have to bring it back in....ugg this sucks.

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI SW 6spd Manual
I have a 10 SW w/ 36k on it and that light mocks me on and off randomly with tires @ 36psi (as per door sticker). Sometimes it goes right off, sometimes it says Low Tire Pressure...Depends on how it's feeling that day. Tires are always spot on(I check them often).

I have had it in dealer for 10k/20k/30k service and have mentioned this problem each time. I even had video of the light coming on and going off...Vag com has an intermittent fault when I scan it. Of course they can find no problems(which is BS, vag-com showed fault after I picked it up each time..I have never cleared it either). "Bring it back when the light is on..." is their line. If only it would stay on.

I mentioned to dealer that this is a known problem and there should be update to fix it. According to them, the vin did not show it needed it and there was no light on so they couldn't do anything. They wouldn't even scan the car. This happened each time I brought it in. Over inflating the tires was their fix(thanks for the cupped tires :rolleyes: ).

At last service the service rep told me that Volkswagon said to over inflate the tires. I suggested that this was not a fix, but rather a duct tape approach...They didn't seem to take that suggestion well.

If the car isn't in flames when you drive it in, they say it's all good....Useless service so far.

It's pretty stupid too, it's the only real complaint I've had in 36k, other than alignment(thanks NY potholes :mad: ). But thanks to VW, I now have 2 complaints.

I know I can fix it myself with vag-com, but it's kind of a matter of principal. I pay for a new car, I want it to work like new until the warranty is up. Isn't that that what a warranty is? A guarantee that the item will perform for x amount of time without failing? Guess asking for what you paid for is asking a bit too much these days...

Last edited:

vschaos

TDI
I have a 10 SW w/ 36k on it and that light mocks me on and off randomly with tires @ 36psi (as per door sticker). Sometimes it goes right off, sometimes it says Low Tire Pressure...Depends on how it's feeling that day. Tires are always spot on(I check them often).

I have had it in dealer for 10k/20k/30k service and have mentioned this problem each time. I even had video of the light coming on and going off...Vag com has an intermittent fault when I scan it. Of course they can find no problems(which is BS, vag-com showed fault after I picked it up each time..I have never cleared it either). "Bring it back when the light is on..." is their line. If only it would stay on.

I mentioned to dealer that this is a known problem and there should be update to fix it. According to them, the vin did not show it needed it and there was no light on so they couldn't do anything. They wouldn't even scan the car. This happened each time I brought it in. Over inflating the tires was their fix(thanks for the cupped tires :rolleyes: ).

At last service the service rep told me that Volkswagon said to over inflate the tires. I suggested that this was not a fix, but rather a duct tape approach...They didn't seem to take that suggestion well.

If the car isn't in flames when you drive it in, they say it's all good....Useless service so far.

It's pretty stupid too, it's the only real complaint I've had in 36k, other than alignment(thanks NY potholes :mad: ). But thanks to VW, I now have 2 complaints.

I know I can fix it myself with vag-com, but it's kind of a matter of principal. I pay for a new car, I want it to work like new until the warranty is up. Isn't that that what a warranty is? A guarantee that the item will perform for x amount of time without failing? Guess asking for what you paid for is asking a bit too much these days...
Sucks man :( I went back to dealer yesterday and they said "we took your advice and searched for this issue and found a fix". I am glad they looked for the fix after my recommendation. So anyhow I left it at the dealer due to them saying they are verifying with vw that the equipment they have can do the update to my car.

BrianinNH

TDI
2010Sprotwagen
For what it is worth.. I have a 2010 Jetta Sportswagen. Low tire pressure light came on. Checked tire pressure and it was off (7 1/2 PSI Dif. causes light to go on) - filled to rec. 35 PSI. Started car again and light was still on - rats!!!! Read more in manuel and found you need to drive car at min. 20MPH to have computer read tire pressure. Drove as reccomended and low an behold light turned off.

Hope this helps

Vahoagie

TDI
2011 JSW 6-speed manual TDI.Owned 1980 diesel rabbit back then.
I am not sure that this has been mentioned in previous threads since I read page 1 and the last page to see if anything has been rectified. I haven't purchased my JSW yet so I cant look and check this suggestion out. In another forum I read where the spare tire had a sensor in it and if it had low pressure it would cause the light to illuminate. Just a thought!
Hoagie

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
do the Jettas and Golfs use a system where the tires have to be "married" to the system every time they are moved from position to position, or say when snows are swapped for summer? Or, once a wheel has been introduced to the system, it can be add or removed or moved as necessary?

forester77

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
Finally took my car in, work order state they did VW Recall 97T2 to fix the TPMS light. They have to order a new frame to fix the sunroof. Also did recall #2414 which only says its an ECM update as per bulletin.

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
This may be of little help to owners of earlier model Golfs with TPMS, but on my 2011 there is a reset button in the glove box that enables you to recalibrate the TPMS for higher or lower tire pressures based on your preference. Also, according to the owners manual, the sytem does not read tire pressure but rather calculates a pressure difference based on the rolling diameter of the tire. Therefore the spare won't set off the low tire warning unless and or until it hits the ground.

vschaos

TDI
Hmm interesting. My ligh came on again due to the temp changing so much here and tire pressure changing. So yesterday went and had tires filled with nitrogen to 38psi in each tire. Yet light is still on and I have driven over 20 miles

DHall

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have been fighting the TPMS light for 14,000 miles. It started just before 20,000 miles flashing the code for a communication failure, not low tire pressure. It would do this intermittently and never while at the dealer. What happens is the TPMS light will flash for approximately 1 minute then stay on steady. According the the manual, this indicated a comm fault. This is what I told the dealer at the 20,000 mile oil change. When I got the car back i read that they did a reprogram of the TPMS system. The light was back on the next day. Since the first visit, the car went back four times just for this issue. The second time I went to pick it up, the slip stated that they checked the tire pressure and all was ok, no light showing. I can do that! Uggghhhh! I got the speech that no light on and no codes = no service. Yup, the light came on as I drove home. I made another appointment and when I got it back this time, even though they never witnessed the light they replaced a wheel sensor that they say they wanded and it wasn't talking. The light stayed off for less than a day. At visit four I was armed with the paragraph in the owners manual that stated what the car was trying to tell us, and a cell phone video of the light actually blinking. They drove it around the block, couldn't duplicate the issue and parked it. I came and picked it up, frustrated with them and decided to go somewhere else. On the way home the light came on, I turned around and headed right back to the dealership. They plugged in the computer and found another one of the sensors not communicating. Another appointment, another loaner car and this time they replaced another sensor. All has been well for a week which equals about 700 miles for me. Going through this, I realize that the way VW works is that if the computer doesn't say so, they aren't allowed to fix it. First thing I would've done with a com fault is replace the wheel sensors and go from there. Next time this happens I will just buy a VAG-Com and turn it off.

vschaos

TDI
I have been fighting the TPMS light for 14,000 miles. It started just before 20,000 miles flashing the code for a communication failure, not low tire pressure. It would do this intermittently and never while at the dealer. What happens is the TPMS light will flash for approximately 1 minute then stay on steady. According the the manual, this indicated a comm fault. This is what I told the dealer at the 20,000 mile oil change. When I got the car back i read that they did a reprogram of the TPMS system. The light was back on the next day. Since the first visit, the car went back four times just for this issue. The second time I went to pick it up, the slip stated that they checked the tire pressure and all was ok, no light showing. I can do that! Uggghhhh! I got the speech that no light on and no codes = no service. Yup, the light came on as I drove home. I made another appointment and when I got it back this time, even though they never witnessed the light they replaced a wheel sensor that they say they wanded and it wasn't talking. The light stayed off for less than a day. At visit four I was armed with the paragraph in the owners manual that stated what the car was trying to tell us, and a cell phone video of the light actually blinking. They drove it around the block, couldn't duplicate the issue and parked it. I came and picked it up, frustrated with them and decided to go somewhere else. On the way home the light came on, I turned around and headed right back to the dealership. They plugged in the computer and found another one of the sensors not communicating. Another appointment, another loaner car and this time they replaced another sensor. All has been well for a week which equals about 700 miles for me. Going through this, I realize that the way VW works is that if the computer doesn't say so, they aren't allowed to fix it. First thing I would've done with a com fault is replace the wheel sensors and go from there. Next time this happens I will just buy a VAG-Com and turn it off.
Mine is still on...think I am going to buy a vag-com and turn it off along with doing some other things. Any idea who selling for cheapest or all the same?

Black Dung Beetle

TDI
2011 White Golf TDI
This was the first problem I had with my 2010 Golf. The dealer reset it, then said there was a bad "Module". Supposedly, the issue was fixed in the 2011 by using a different system. Check your valve stems. If they are medal it is the old type, if they are the old fashion rubber it's the new system. In other words the old system sucked!

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I heard in the 2011 cars they use the ABS/ESP system and it measures the rolling resistance of the tire to determine if the tire is low, as opposed to the "wireless" system in the 2009/10s.

vschaos

TDI
This was the first problem I had with my 2010 Golf. The dealer reset it, then said there was a bad "Module". Supposedly, the issue was fixed in the 2011 by using a different system. Check your valve stems. If they are medal it is the old type, if they are the old fashion rubber it's the new system. In other words the old system sucked!
Yea mine is the old metal I suppose. Will they replace with the old style rubber if I bring it in? I am guessing probably not. I would be better off just disabling?

shiraz627

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG
My TPMS light was on for about a week after I had upped the pressures to 38psi or at least thought I did. Any way I went out today and bought a decent gauge(AccuGauge S60X $6.99@Sears Auto) and found two of my tires were at 30psi so I bumped them both up to 38psi and the fault cleared instantaneously. I will monitor the situation.

2010 JSW, DSG, 14k on the clock

Gary