Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I know. It's an adjustment. It wasn't a particularly easy tank (lots of traffic, runs at 80+ MPH, etc.). And look at the total miles on the car. Not exactly broken in.
Yep. Welcome to the new, improved mark 7 chassis!

I could barely break 500, but after I had Malone hammer some sense into the computer and lost some parts, I can get 600 mile tanks again.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I did.

How about contacting the dealer you bought it from?
I texted the sales lady. Her sales manager said for me to call the same 800 number. I don't want to put new brakes, new shocks, new hub bearings, output shaft bearings, and new tires on a new car!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Tires and brakes were some of the items they were supposed to inspect. Did you get the inspection list from them when you bought it?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Also have a very rough rear suspension ride when going over a bump around 45 mph or so.
I just read something about VW forgetting to remove the shipping pucks. I'd poke your head up in the rear wheel wells and see if there are any plastic pucks sitting in your shocks.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I just read something about VW forgetting to remove the shipping pucks. I'd poke your head up in the rear wheel wells and see if there are any plastic pucks sitting in your shocks.
Haha, truth. This has been a prevalent issue in Mk7 GTI land. People join the GolkMk7 dot com forum and wonder why their GTI looks like a 4x4 and rides like a dump truck.

More info: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6978296-Quick-Guide-to-Remove-Strut-Pucks#/topics/6978296

Last edited:

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Tires

Tires and brakes were some of the items they were supposed to inspect. Did you get the inspection list from them when you bought it?
The tires are Bridgestone Ecopia and I think they were manufactured 03/2016 reading the code on the sidewall. They transfer a LOT of road surface noise.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Latest development on 2015 Tdi brake issue

Today VWofA was supposed to contact me regarding my call to them yesterday. They did NOT call. I also went to another dealer across town that I had bought two new loaded Subaru .outbacks for my wife. Asked the VW service dept. if they could replace brakes as it was 8 business days old. Their message to me was that the brakes are a wear item! So much for customer loyalty. Also, I emailed the Sales manager where I bought my car and got no response after explaining my brake problem. Pretty poor customer relations in my opinion.

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
epsaax,

I'd go back to the dealer and show them page 3 of the USA maintenance and warranty book. Coverage The repair or replacement of wear and tear items, which are defined as brake pads/shoes...and brake disks/drums...are covered up to one year or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. It also mentions wiper blade wear/tear. (note that it says brakes worn below mfr specs, but I'd argue loudly mfr specs are that they are not pitted/warped).

I successfully had my OH dealer replace front brake pads/rotors since they were warped. Brought the car in 2 weeks after my mid July purchase Showed them the TDI release-for-resale inspection bulletin which they acknowledged completing but they had found no problems in May, and just did the filters/fluids at the time.

Since the dealer certified to VW back in may that the brakes and wipers were good, it turns out they had backed themselves into a corner, and now VW made them pay the full cost of those parts and labor. They first tried to do just rotors but no pads but I wasn't having any of that. Once I showed them that VW themselves calls for rotors AND pads if the stop sale inspection process found bad rotors they gave in. I saw the internal invoice and those costs were billed to shop/sales cost, while a few other factory defect items did get parts/labor paid by VW.

Having leased 3 of these, I can tell you that dealers varies WIDELY as to the level of how they did the TDI stop sale service bulletin. One dealer told me point blank they replaced good tires/brakes/batteries on every single TDI (greedy or scamming VW?) Then reading the other service requests, one dealer left out the critical notes of what to DO and look/listen for on a road test. This led to a car wash/lot attendant/helper being told to basically zone out, crank up the radio, and drive 10 miles to 'test' the car.

If you take your VIN # to any VW service dept they can print you all service to date. You can verify the parts replaced, filters/oil etc used as part of the service bulletin. I even got a printout showing all the dates/mileage and bills to VW that they submitted for the 'every 30 day' start up and drive during the stop sale.

Last edited:

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Thanks

epsaax,

I'd go back to the dealer and show them page 3 of the USA maintenance and warranty book. Coverage The repair or replacement of wear and tear items, which are defined as brake pads/shoes...and brake disks/drums...are covered up to one year or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. It also mentions wiper blade wear/tear. (note that it says brakes worn below mfr specs, but I'd argue loudly mfr specs are that they are not pitted/warped).

I successfully had my OH dealer replace front brake pads/rotors since they were warped. Brought the car in 2 weeks after my mid July purchase Showed them the TDI release-for-resale inspection bulletin which they acknowledged completing but they had found no problems in May, and just did the filters/fluids at the time.

Since the dealer certified to VW back in may that the brakes and wipers were good, it turns out they had backed themselves into a corner, and now VW made them pay the full cost of those parts and labor. They first tried to do just rotors but no pads but I wasn't having any of that. Once I showed them that VW themselves calls for rotors AND pads if the stop sale inspection process found bad rotors they gave in. I saw the internal invoice and those costs were billed to shop/sales cost, while a few other factory defect items did get parts/labor paid by VW.

Having leased 3 of these, I can tell you that dealers varies WIDELY as to the level of how they did the TDI stop sale service bulletin. One dealer told me point blank they replaced good tires/brakes/batteries on every single TDI (greedy or scamming VW?) Then reading the other service requests, one dealer left out the critical notes of what to DO and look/listen for on a road test. This led to a car wash/lot attendant/helper being told to basically zone out, crank up the radio, and drive 10 miles to 'test' the car.

If you take your VIN # to any VW service dept they can print you all service to date. You can verify the parts replaced, filters/oil etc used as part of the service bulletin. I even got a printout showing all the dates/mileage and bills to VW that they submitted for the 'every 30 day' start up and drive during the stop sale.
I printed that and will use it for my argument. Freds TDI has been a good resource for many years and MILLIONS of miles!

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
News

Today VWofA was supposed to contact me regarding my call to them yesterday. They did NOT call. I also went to another dealer across town that I had bought two new loaded Subaru .outbacks for my wife. Asked the VW service dept. if they could replace brakes as it was 8 business days old. Their message to me was that the brakes are a wear item! So much for customer loyalty. Also, I emailed the Sales manager where I bought my car and got no response after explaining my brake problem. Pretty poor customer relations in my opinion.
VWofA called me yesterday and had some information. They contacted the dealer that refused to consider any other posture but that brakes were a wear item on a brand new car. After I made my argument, the caller said they would further talk to the dealer and get back with me. I was on the golf course and was about ready to hit my 5 wood 195 yards onto the green(came up one yard short).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I don't consider the fuel filter changes or the timing belt system a major expense. these new Timing belts are good for I heard 150k miles.. I seriously doubt I will let it go that long myself and I can do the job myself no sweat.

yes these cars demand a premium, because of the return on our investment.

come see us in 10 years and lets compare residual values...

some examples of my own TDI experiences.
2000 NB tdi bought with 40k miles in 2003 for $10,700, sold 3 years later after 50k miles for $10,300
2001 2 door golf TDI bought in 2007 with 100k miles, for 10k. sold in 2010 after 30k more miles, for 7k.
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI bought in 2010 with 148k miles for $6500 with tons of MODS on it, sold in 2017 with 230k miles for $5700.

I have no doubt that my GSW TDI will be worth more than any TSI of the same or newer model year regardless of mileage when I do decide to part with it. These cars hold their value.
Which is one of the motivations my mother had when deciding to purchase her 2015. She loved her Toyota 4Runner, but I don't know - it's looking like she's really loving her TDI even more. She loves the torque, and she already has the 2005 that I bought and fixed up for her.

From my experience, some specialty cars (some hybrids, certain enthusiast cars) and all diesels hold their value good over long terms. The biggest hits in depreciation, all from anecdotal experience anyways, seem to be the domestic manufacturers and luxury cars.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Wrong thread. This is for the new left over cars, not the used ones. There is a thread for that here too. Welcome to tdiclub!
I personally think both threads should be combined, especially since I haven't seen any dealers in Texas selling new stop-sale 2015 TDI wagons...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Did this tonight:

I suspected the gauge hit empty early, so I was able to drive around a bit before bringing it home with 0 remaining (I fuel at my house). Put in 12.3 gallons. So there was still .9 gallons left in the tank. I probably won't make a habit of it, but it's good to know that I can run it to 0 without issue if I'm in a bind.
From my experience on my 2010, I've run it where it said 0 miles to empty maybe 3 times (when I was about 3 miles from a fuel station). Upon filling up and topping off to the neck (road trip, so no worries about fuel expansion while sitting in the heat), it had about 0.25-0.5 gallons left. Not much of a reserve, but it's something.

Are the tanks on the newer TDIs smaller, or the same 15.5 gallons when topped off?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
New GSWs are 13.2 gallons. And I've recently read that I can adjust when the reserve light comes on with VCDS. I think I'll do it so when it gets to zero it's closer to empty. That's better than the anxiety of driving through the entire reserve every tank.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
New GSWs are 13.2 gallons. And I've recently read that I can adjust when the reserve light comes on with VCDS. I think I'll do it so when it gets to zero it's closer to empty. That's better than the anxiety of driving through the entire reserve every tank.

patter98

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2015 Touareg TDI Lux
Picked up a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL W/Driver Assistance Pkg - Brown - 24K miles CPO for $17,999 this week.

This will replace my 2015 Jetta TDI SEL that was totaled this last winter. I got ~$23K for that from Insurance plus the VW Restitution money so I am pretty happy I was able to get back into a 2015 model for ~$5k less than what was paid out to me by insurance 9 months ago.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
test fit the new TireRack winter 15" wheels with the 2005's Blizzaks.. A little weird but that'll do..

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Not Today

VWofA called me yesterday and had some information. They contacted the dealer that refused to consider any other posture but that brakes were a wear item on a brand new car. After I made my argument, the caller said they would further talk to the dealer and get back with me. I was on the golf course and was about ready to hit my 5 wood 195 yards onto the green(came up one yard short).
VWofA didn't call today. I drove it today and had to do a hard braking today and its getting worse. Repeated it(on purpose) and now all four rotors appear warped! I'm, not going to accept it! I hope I don't have to do it myself. We downsized 18 months ago and all my tools, jacks, lights, air compressors, and shop equipment are GONE. That's why I bought this new car so I wouldn't have to work on them

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
VWofA didn't call today. I drove it today and had to do a hard braking today and its getting worse. Repeated it(on purpose) and now all four rotors appear warped! I'm, not going to accept it! I hope I don't have to do it myself. We downsized 18 months ago and all my tools, jacks, lights, air compressors, and shop equipment are GONE. That's why I bought this new car so I wouldn't have to work on them
I knew this was around somewhere:
This should have been done for any stop-sale TDIs.

I would argue that your car should be given the same treatment.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

Does stop-sale imply vehicles with low (or no) miles, CPO, or both? I felt like the brakes felt a little funny on mom's car as well when she did the test drive. Thankfully, changing pads and rotors isn't that difficult (done it on the other 3 TDIs within the past 12 months).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Replacing tires and brakes if necessary was for cars that were never titled. However, I would expect that dealers would do same for bought back cars to be sure they qualify as CPO. But maybe not.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Found the warranty

epsaax,
I found this warranty in my glove box. Will try to get dealer to fix under the 12000 miles bumper to bumper. Also will try to get a printout of the previous service. It also states that any authorized VW dealer service dept. can do the work.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG

Where did you get that document from? I checked all my papers and I don't have that one... my car had 80 miles on it and it was driven and serviced monthly BUT I'm sure the service wasn't oil changes. I bought my car off the show room floor so I know it didn't have oil changed, at least as part of delivery. I want to talk to the dealer about documentation of the oil changes while they were diligently taking care of my car while it couldn't be sold. :)

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5274190&postcount=998
I remember seeing another document showing all the things that should be checked and might need servicing prior to reselling the NOS TDIs. Can't find it easily, though.
Thank you, I will start with detailed service log of work done so far and will go from there. I wish we knew were the original document came from. :)

EDIT UPDATE: I had my records pulled and can see the monthly driving and fluid check services. I can also see the full service and oil change 2 months and 13 miles before I bought my car so I'm not going to sweat the fact it wasn't done right before I bought it. She was well taken care of during the stay a the one and only dealership she ever knew. :-D The dealer did not take on ANY stop sale cars from other dealerships as they religiously maintained their cars and did not want to inherit any neglected TDI's and their costly problems that needed attention before selling.

Last edited: