Was Tiguan TDI ever sold in the USA?

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
Hey all! I was walking around the historic area of Winchester, VA today and saw Tiguan TDI. At least, it had a TDI badge on the back.

Were they ever sold in the USA?

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
No, and what you probably saw was TSI, which were (and are) sold here.

Dang. I should have taken a pic. The badge definitely was TDI, not TSI. I did a double take and walked up to the vehicle. Will be on the lookout in the neighborhood, as I walk there a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
TDI Tiguans were sold in many other countries. At one time, I heard that they were most popular choice in the UK for pulling a "Caravan" (trailer).
Unfortunately, they never officially brought them to our country. Did the one you saw have US license plates? They do sell a lot of different VWs in Mexico (not sure about TDI Tiggys).

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would imagine very few people would even consider a Tiggy in Europe unless it had a diesel engine under the hood.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
In that area of Virginia, it could have easily been a diplomat's vehicle. They ship them over for the duration of their stay, then send them back home. If you do see it again, check the license plates as JSWTDI09 suggested.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There was a thread on here several years ago with pictures of a Tiguan TDI shot in CA. It was probably a test car because it was around the time the Tiguan was first sold.

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
Could not walk through the neighborhood last week, but will do so next week and will take a pic if it is there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unlockinc

TDI
GLS,2002,Reflex silver Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2015, Fontana Red
Rode behind a Tiguan TDI for short time on way to drop off my 2015 Passat TDI for service at local VW dealer. DEFINITELY a TDI badge on rear with PA license plate.

Turbinepowered

TDI
None yet
Yep, I have converted 2 of them. Both 2012 black. The first was an S model and 6 speed. Sold it to a gentleman in FL that takes its a lot of places. Second one I am driving now which was originally an SEL 4motion. Swapped in a CJAA and DSG. Currently FWD, but have a 6 speed manual 4motion gearbox and clutch sitting in the garage for it.

Much better vehicle as a diesel than a gas.

Shout out to jetta 97 for helping me sort out the cluster and electronics. Also to Mike at TDTuning (and now with Dark Side) for the tunes.
I am very interested in what it took to do the swap, and your plans for that 6spd 4motion swap too.
I've gotten the diesel itch again, and aTiguan would suit my needs nicely...