B4 trunk release?

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Is there such a thing as a trunk release for the B4? Never seen one, but don't know about the US market :)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Sedans have them... the button is in the center console.

The PO of my sedan never knew about the button and the push button at the trunk lid was messed up. He would fold the seats down and get what he needed...

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
What is needed to install it if you haven't got it? Sounds like an option I have to add :)

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Did some research. Seems my car has wiring installed just about to the point of the handbrake. I would need this wiring harness and button from the mid console. Any one who can get me these two from a US Passat?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I can likely help you out. I know of a b4 sedan in a junk yard near by.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
PM me with any questions

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting that your car has the wiring, but nothing more. I wonder if this was an option.

Does your center console have a blank over the button hole?

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Yup :) There's a wire going to just about the handbrake, but the last small wiring loom and the button are missing. Never heard of trunk release or seen one over here.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Maybe the console is from a B4V. My wagon has the blank. My guess is that it may be a safety feature so that you do not accidentally open the hatch while driving.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If I recall, this button does not "pop" the trunk, just allows it to open - unlocks it so to speak.

Mind you I had a wagon with no button... :D

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Sedans all the way for me. I refuse to have anything to do with wagons :p
Interesting, Windex. Guess I'll have to see and try :)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Correct... it just unlocks the trunk, barely popping it open, allowing you to lift it open. This was a "sedan only" feature.

Wagons have a blanking plug. Does your center console have a blanking plug or will you need to make a hole?

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I have a blanking plug. All sedans I've seen have a plug. I've never seen a sedan in Belgium with the trunk release option fitted.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Researched some more. Seems I need part 44 on the image above. Electrically operated boot lid lock. And the associated wiring :/ There's a spare one wire red/black plug in the loom located about where the vacuum pump sits in the trunk. But the lock seems to be a 2 wire plug.
So, either that plug is the connection for another loom for the lock, and the second wire is a ground screwed to the chassis, or option 2, I don't have the wiring in the trunk to pop the trunk :/

Last edited: