Lowering Springs

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
ECS sells the reverse rake fix kit that you'd likely need
I actually ended up getting H&R Sport springs, specifically for our torsion beam rear end TDI's. I have wheels on the way and may get struts over the winter as well and just do all of it next Spring.

Thanks for the reply!

CWill

TDI
2015 GSW S
I actually ended up getting H&R Sport springs, specifically for our torsion beam rear end TDI's. I have wheels on the way and may get struts over the winter as well and just do all of it next Spring.

Thanks for the reply!

I have h&r super sport springs for my rear torsion beam tdi gsw with stock gti wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I have h&r super sport springs for my rear torsion beam tdi gsw with stock gti wheels

Nice. How do you like them and what are your impressions of them on the car? I'm sure they are a bit low for my taste but always like to see how things look our rides. Did you do struts as well or just on stock suspension components for now? Any pictures to share?? :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

CWill

TDI
2015 GSW S
Nice. How do you like them and what are your impressions of them on the car? I'm sure they are a bit low for my taste but always like to see how things look our rides. Did you do struts as well or just on stock suspension components for now? Any pictures to share?? :)

Thanks!

I did just the springs, on stock struts, it lowered it 2 inches all the way around looks excellent in my eyes, the ride it def firmer than stock but way softer than coilovers,

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I did just the springs, on stock struts, it lowered it 2 inches all the way around looks excellent in my eyes, the ride it def firmer than stock but way softer than coilovers,

Looks good! I wonder how long the stock struts are going to last with the reduced height and increased spring rates. My drop will be more moderate for sure and since I do have access to all tools and lift (don't have to pay someone else) to do them, I'll slap the springs on in the spring and just see how long I can go. :-D I'm a pothole swervin fool, even on stock height and 17in wheels so that won't change and our roads, at least the ones I usually drive, aren't terrible.

Thanks for sharing!

CWill

TDI
2015 GSW S
Looks good! I wonder how long the stock struts are going to last with the reduced height and increased spring rates. My drop will be more moderate for sure and since I do have access to all tools and lift (don't have to pay someone else) to do them, I'll slap the springs on in the spring and just see how long I can go. :-D I'm a pothole swervin fool, even on stock height and 17in wheels so that won't change and our roads, at least the ones I usually drive, aren't terrible.

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah for sure, I have a lift and everything I need right in my garage, yeah I'm not worried about how long the struts will last, if they go I'll just buy new ones, I only did springs just to get a little drop before I do bags next season, but just did 8 hr road trip with it and it handles everything great!!!

Adam35

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Manual

Just wondering how the stock struts held up over time? Ride quality still tolerable??

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I got H&R Sport springs, and B8's. On 17 inch Motegi Traklite. Love it. The only issue I have is when I drive over those stupid DOT signs that say "BUMP" on a half ass paving job where there is a lip that is about 2-3 inches high on the freeway. It feels as if the struts want to go through the frame when hitting those bumps at highway speeds; can't slow down because everyone is going at 65-70 mph.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I got H&R Sport springs, and B8's. On 17 inch Motegi Traklite. Love it. The only issue I have is when I drive over those stupid DOT signs that say "BUMP" on a half ass paving job where there is a lip that is about 2-3 inches high on the freeway. It feels as if the struts want to go through the frame when hitting those bumps at highway speeds; can't slow down because everyone is going at 65-70 mph.
That's interesting, I just put Vogtland sport springs and B8s on my mk6, and have recently been driving over a lot of those cutouts they make at the ends of of a new paving job before they pave it. With my old suspension they would be very jarring, but I've been really pleased how the new dampers just silently absorb the shock. I usually slow down to about 35-40 mph before hitting the lip though. If it's a really deep one I'll slow down substantially more. My old shocks and struts were basically non functional, so there's that too.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I had the same strut/spring combo, on 17" Neuspeed RSE05's. Would have been those same Motegi's if I didn't get a deal on the Neuspeeds used. I think I was running SuperPro camber plates at the time... could NOT handle the overall harshness. It was fantastic in the canyons! But LA highways were practically unbearable and that was a good amount of my driving at the time.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I don't know what camber plates are but there were none put in my car. Ride is harsh specially over expansion joints and transition zones form asphalt to concrete and back. Very smooth and tight on asphalt country roads. My wife hates it but I like it. She drives a 2002 LS430 we just acquired: 84K miles. Smooth like Aladdin's carpet. Lexus weighs as much as a Nimitz and needs all that distance to stop too. The Mk7 stops fast even w stock brakes.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The camber plates are aluminum strut mounts but offset to add some camber. Being aluminum instead of plastic/rubber added more harshness, on top of the B8/H&R combo, and was too much for me.

I ended up going with whiteline aluminum lower control arms and Eurosport Camber inserts (which get installed in stock strut mounts) for my camber needs (read, wants).