97 passat tdi complete coolant hose replacement sorce

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes, quite a few are. Having the original number is helpful when trying to track down obsolete parts from dealer stock, ebay, etc. Also useful for cross reference.
Well that is true, that's why I keep a tab in my browser open to Etka all the time.

Steve

PD41

TDI
1996 Passat B4 TDI Wagon 1996 A3 Passat TDI Sedan

macksemil

TDI
1996 B4V
I ordered a full set from Guy, they look great and the screwdriver tool they come with is great too. Unfortunately the 3 way hose doesn't fit, had to order another from a different source. Pictures attached (you can see how bagged out the old hoses were-jeez.)

Looks like the larger top hose is about 1" too long and the small hose is lacking a kink. I tried muscling it into place anyway, but no dice. I stopped there so I'll update once I'm done installing the rest.

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/VuHpAg"]3wayhose1
by macks emil

3wayhose2 by macks emil

3wayhose3 by macks emil

3wayhose4 by macks emil

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
theres a couple of places you can find hoses, napa for one, probably can have your parts by 2morro(or tues over the weekend). havent had a problem with napa parts. some have run their course and been swapped out. most are still in use. cannt say of problems there.

-*while your at it, dont forget hose clamps, the factory clamps can be a real pain, to get back on, if not get off (this time &again).

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
The factory clamps I find easy to deal with. You just need to have the right tool for them :)

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
^yea the right size of channel locks works real good, however with coolant lines that have been on for quite some time, and slipping factory clamps off may be really difficult, not to say in that case hoses may be stuck on, i had a really good time of it like that, cannt get another hand down there to loosen,twist rubber hoses.

looking at some of posters pics, one thing to say, perhaps on the one hose thats going to front head flange, trim to size, if the other 2, lower, hoses line up it may work.

macksemil

TDI
1996 B4V
I found the factory clamps to be a pain, I used a small pair of vice grips and set them to lock holding the clamp open while I wiggled the hose enough to get it to pop off. Every now and then I'd wiggle the vice grips off of the clamp in the process but it worked better than I thought it would. Took a half hour to get the bottom radiator hose off, but the others went easier. I prefer the screw-style ones so I'll be putting those on as I'm replacing hoses.

A trick I figured out for getting those hoses unstuck from where it is mounted on the engine: use a big vice grip and set it to where it'll grab the hose a little bit but not squeeze the plastic or metal piece it slips onto hard enough to damage it, then rotate the hose back and forth a little bit to get it to start sliding. I put a little bit of grease on the inside of the new hoses to make it easier to get them on.

I thought trimming the top hose that goes to the flange would work on the 3 way, but the small hose doesn't fit either so I think I'm stuck. Ordered a replacement and a new coolant globe from Cascade German. Old coolant globe was all yellowed out and I couldn't see the level any more.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
^nice tool lis, a bit expensive, but nice.

anyways note if you use screw type clamps, before you just put them on a hose and stick the hose on, they go one way, so put them on so screw can go up and you can get to it/them(from above), you will have to adjust them other wise they will block each other, even when tightening, as when you tighten they will rotate, so you have to set so they will work out.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The nice thing with the factory style clamps is that they put a consistent constant pressure on the hose regardless how much it squishes down over time. Screw style clamps don't do that.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

macksemil

TDI
1996 B4V
Finally finished up replacing the hoses and coolant globe, all of Guy's other hoses fit just fine. I had to trim up the top hose on the new 3-way to get it to fit (new one was too long too), but the smaller kinked hose fit better on the new one.

They look good, and the coolant stays in my car now.

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
Been trying to find the part numbers to a coolant leak that occurred at where the lower rad hose connects to the radiator on my B4. Thought I'd add these numbers to this old thread. Here is a link to a parts diagram from Jim Ellis VW:

Gli_ryan

TDI
B4v
that's hilarious, I came looking for that part number for the stupid adapter lol. Trying to save my car from the weeds.....but the car is putting up a good fight.

BUT: where did you order the flange from???? Says NLA everywhere so far

Diesel_Aggie

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V
From Germany: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/stutzen-5e66d0.html Very legitimate site.

UK ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...Passat-4Motion-Syncro-3A0121619-/163620713488

Poland?: https://auto-plus.pl/make.asp?t=16&numer=3A0121619

Hope this helps. In the past I think I got these from ID Parts. They no longer have them but you might contact them. The hoses I got from them were Rein and I check the US Rein lookup with no luck. Might be worth trying a European catalog.

Maybe one could be 3D printed?

If you order form Europe expect super slow delivery and crappy tracking. I ordered two sets of Lefmforder rear axle bushings this spring/summer. Latvia took 56 days and UK was somewhere around the same.

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
I am having trouble with the top 3-way silicone hose from Gee-Bee as well. It is an inch too long, and I found I could only trim off about 5/8" because of the hose reduction, trim off more and there won't be enough hose to fit over the barb. I was able to muscle the hose on the coolant flange this way, but it cracked the main pipe of the flange, didn't know until I filled it up with water. Major bummer after dropping $$ on these hoses.

Curious though how for some this fit, and for others not? Are we missing something or are they not all the same length? It was also a bear to fit this on the water pump housing outlet as well,, I had all dirt and crud cleared off the block there too. Luckily was able to undo the clamp and jam one end behind the hose and the block to get it where it needs to be.

Last edited:

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
I tried a set of those in black, the lower radiator hose was a perfect fit but I didn't care for the way the 2 3-way hoses fit under the injection pump so I went with the pricey OEM hoses under there since they fit much better.
I ordered a full set from Guy, they look great and the screwdriver tool they come with is great too. Unfortunately the 3 way hose doesn't fit, had to order another from a different source.
Did you guys ever let Guy know that these didn't fit for you? Maybe the hoses would be made to fit better if he knows about it?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Honestly wish someone could source the B4 AHU / 1Z lower rad hose from Eastern Europe....Gates makes it but they don't sell it here unfortunately.

Steve

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
Honestly wish I would have sourced one of those lower rad hoses from Europe. The silicone one was the only one I could find anywhere, and mine was in seriously rough shape. With that said, the silicone radiator hoses are excellent fits though, like they should be.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’ve purchased many things from eBay.de and UK. I’m sure you can find a seller who’s willing to ship to the States.

I also purchase VW parts from the standard eBay, shipped from Latvia. Maybe reach out to them, and see if they can source the part.

-Todd

Chungus

TDI
B4 Wagon
Someone local to me is selling a set of Meyle ones...not sure if they're A3 or B4 or AHU/AAZ as the listing mentions all 3 lol