Does anyone have installed remote starter 2015 Golf?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A frostheater/blockheater would be far more efficient at bringing the car up to temp quickly.

omahamike

TDI
2015 SEL
I Tried!!

A frostheater/blockheater would be far more efficient at bringing the car up to temp quickly.
On my 2015 VW Golf TDI SEL, I took it to a friend's business where he tried to install a remote starter. It took the whole day for his best tech to install it, but he never could get it to work correctly after calling the tech support for the unit several times. So I had them remove the whole thing and just give up! He was going to charge me over $300 for the install, but since it wouldn't work as it was supposed to, the tech was out a whole day's work, the friend made nothing on the sale and had to pay his tech for accomplishing nothing for an 8 hour shift, and I was out a whole shift sitting in his waiting room.
At a later date, I got an ad from Best Buy for a terrific price on an installed remote starter, so I called them and was told that this model wouldn't work on a VW. This tech called another Best Buy to verify this, and he was told that they DO have another model which does work, but it was for a much higher price than the one on sale. So, to make this story shorter, I decided to buy a Frost heater that goes into the radiator hose. I leave it on all the time when it's parked outside because it has a thermostat that shuts it off when the water reaches 200 degrees. I live in Iowa where it's -3 degrees with a -27 wind chill right now! But when I go out to start it, there is no glow plug wait and the engine spins as fast as it does in the summer, and is running without even turning over more than 1/2 a turn! The temp gauge drops to the bottom immediately after starting, but if you start driving, you'll have heat within 3 miles. Like someone else stated, if you leave the fan off, there is a heater in the system that helps warming the air.
The Frost heater was less than 1/2 of the price of the remote starter, and in my estimation, it's the better option, plus it works!!! I originally thought about putting a heavy duty timer on it, but why bother? It shuts itself off when the water gets to temp, then back on when the temp drops, so I plug it in and leave it. I'm sure my engine and glow plugs appreciate the warmth and I'm sure that my electric bill hasn't gone up that much, but I really don't care! My car starts so easily that I am very pleased!
Don't hesitate commenting or asking questions...