Does anyone have installed remote starter 2015 Golf?

kdh7424

TDI
Golf 2015
I live in Toronto, Canada. I just got my Golf TDI 2015 and try to install remote starter(compustar or viper). So I called few places and some say they cannot install because 2015 golf doesn't have data code(I don't know what this is) should wait at least 2 months. However, futureshop says it is possible to install it. Does anyone install remote starter(compustar or viper) on Golf 2015?

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
I live in Toronto, Canada. I just got my Golf TDI 2015 and try to install remote starter(compustar or viper). So I called few places and some say they cannot install because 2015 golf doesn't have data code(I don't know what this is) should wait at least 2 months. However, futureshop says it is possible to install it. Does anyone install remote starter(compustar or viper) on Golf 2015?
A remote starter is kind of worthless on a diesel since it wont really warm up in cold temps. In the summer it might be useful I guess...

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I would avoid after market remote start systems all together, even more so for a diesel vehicle.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Future Shop is a terrible idea. They do hack job installations and will only figured out that they can't do it AFTER they've hacked into your wiring. I've seen it 1st hand.

You won't gain anything with an auto starter on a diesel. They barely generate any heat at idle.

If you MUST have an auto starter, wait until a reputable company designs 1.

Tremulant

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI
Future Shop is a terrible idea. They do hack job installations and will only figured out that they can't do it AFTER they've hacked into your wiring. I've seen it 1st hand.
I can also vouch for this. I had them install a remote starter on my Acura and they totally butchered the wiring. Electrical tape, no maurettes, solder, heat shrink... nothing. Just electrical tape. Was incredibly surprised that it was so bad.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
OP: for clarity sake.. if you're after a remote start so that you can climb into a warm car with clear windows on a cold Toronto morning you're probably going to be disappointed.

Diesel engines produce very little waste heat at idle and so your car will not warm up appreciably idling in the driveway over breakfast. :) :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A remote starter is kind of worthless on a diesel since it wont really warm up in cold temps. In the summer it might be useful I guess...
Bull. Just because it doesn't reach full operating temperature in 10 minutes doesn't mean it doesn't warm up at all. A significant temperature increase can be achieved with 10 minutes of idling, particularly inside the cabin with the 1,000 watt electric heater running.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Bull. Just because it doesn't reach full operating temperature in 10 minutes doesn't mean it doesn't warm up at all. A significant temperature increase can be achieved with 10 minutes of idling, particularly inside the cabin with the 1,000 watt electric heater running.
LOL - maybe in Virginia. Drive yourself up to the great white north and park your poor car outside overnight when the temperature dips far below zero degrees F. Then start it and let it idle - see if the temp needle moves.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
LOL - maybe in Virginia. Drive yourself up to the great white north and park your poor car outside overnight when the temperature dips far below zero degrees F. Then start it and let it idle - see if the temp needle moves.
The temp needle doesn't move until 120F or so. You can still get a significant temperature increase before the needle moves... or is everything before the gauge starts to move the same thing? -40 is the same thing as +40 because the needle hasn't registered? :confused:

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
The temp needle doesn't move until 120F or so. You can still get a significant temperature increase before the needle moves... or is everything before the gauge starts to move the same thing? -40 is the same thing as +40 because the needle hasn't registered? :confused:
yes it will warm up slightly, though still not enough to register, after 10 minutes of idling. Or you can hop in it and drive and have it warm up in 2 minutes. Wouldnt think most diesel drivers would be advocates of allowing you car to idle, kill mileage, and pollute.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I too have been thinking about getting a remote start...if you go to a compatent installer pending on the car (for me it is the mk6 golf wagon without kessy). I know it can be installed with a bypass module but you have to give up the valet key.

As for whether or not the car gets up to op temp I'm not sure if that is the emphasis. As in, in 10 min of idling it will still increase the cabin temp via the electric heater and clear my winidshiled. plus my seats will be warm via the seat warmers and once i am ready to leave the cabin is already a more comfortable setting to be in. Plus once you start moving it will take less time for the car to get up to op temp.

At least that is the basis of why i want to have a starter. I think all off us knows that our diesels with a starter will not be like a gasser.

assorted

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I can vouch for him on that statement. Having moved from VA to Northern NY, idling for 10-15 min doesn't do anything for heating up the interior of the car. Best thing to do is just to start driving (and having the grill covered up works even better).

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
I can vouch for him on that statement. Having moved from VA to Northern NY, idling for 10-15 min doesn't do anything for heating up the interior of the car. Best thing to do is just to start driving (and having the grill covered up works even better).

It's "0" this morning with -11 wind chill.....and we are only as far north as NH, lol......The incredible seat heaters were the only things that saved my a$$ this long winter. The car starts first time, every time, after the 3.5 second glow plug warm-up, however, it takes easily 5-6 miles before I even consider turning the fan on. "One" time I let her idle while I was loading up for the days work, about 15 minutes.....The temp gauge needle did not budge a bit.
But.....man do I love this car!!!! :D

ses310

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Now if you could install a remote starter that would take the car for a 20 mile drive while you ate your breakfast...

Around here, when it's below zero, the car's just thinking about being warm by the time I get to work. A remote starter would be pretty useless most of the time. Sport mode helps a little, but seat heaters should be required equipment.

Love the car, though.

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
So for arguments sake; let's pretend I was the OP, and since I live in SW Florida, and it was 86*F yesterday, I'm interested in a remote start to get the AC going.... Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JulieChicago

TDI
Jetta Wagon 2014
For what it's worth... My daughter skates at 5:30 a.m. In the Chicago winter, I get up just before 5, go outside, start the car, turn the heated seats on, crank the fan up to high, and let the car run. By the time we get in, 17-20 minutes later, it's warm. I know it's wrong, but between the warmth of her bed and the cold waiting for her on the ice before the sun is even up, it's what we do. Oh, mine is a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI SE.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So for arguments sake; let's pretend I was the OP, and since I live in SW Florida, and it was 86*F yesterday, I'm interested in a remote start to get the AC going.... Discuss.

I wouldn't. You have to leave an immobilizer chip near the ignition switch for most remote starts to work making your car easier to steal. Here is what I do in hot weather:

• Start car
  • Turn ac to max
  • Get out of car
  • Wait 5 minutes
  • Get back in car
  • Drive off

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
If you guys have not looked up frost heater, you should check it out. I live in pa and have one on my bew. I only use it when it's 20 degrees or less out. It was cheap (~150)and the install is straight forward. You just plug it in and keep it on a timer. I found if you set it for an hour or two before desired drive time that works pretty well. When you start the car it is already hot from the heater, so instant heat and nice easy startup. Just don't forget to unplug before you drive away.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
If you guys have not looked up frost heater, you should check it out. I live in pa and have one on my bew. I only use it when it's 20 degrees or less out. It was cheap (~150)and the install is straight forward. You just plug it in and keep it on a timer. I found if you set it for an hour or two before desired drive time that works pretty well. When you start the car it is already hot from the heater, so instant heat and nice easy startup. Just don't forget to unplug before you drive away.
Even though my garage isn't heated, it never goes below freezing in there. Even on the coldest days of the year (we get a few below zero here in Pittsburgh).

I'm parked outside at work, that's where I would have liked to use the heater. Not possible though.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
LOVE my Golf TDi MPG ~~ LOVE my Golf TDi MPG

HATE my Heater ~~ HATE my Heater.:mad:

Always garaged. Dec, Jan, Feb, MIN garage temp, about 40-ish:p

Heater worthless in a short run to store or doctor.:eek:

Summer time, in the parking lots --- A/C will freeze you got in 30 seconds:D

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
A FWIW on frost heaters, On my bew , if you only had it on for a couple hrs, the car wouldnt start,, some sender must see warmth and screw with the fuel settings, it will wind over easily but wont start,, longer is no prob or down to minus 20 it will start.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
A FWIW on frost heaters, On my bew , if you only had it on for a couple hrs, the car wouldnt start,, some sender must see warmth and screw with the fuel settings, it will wind over easily but wont start,, longer is no prob or down to minus 20 it will start.
off topic

51 years ago -- Casper Wyoming -- my 1966 Chevy Super Sport froze.

So did every other car on the block.

Good Samaritan was jumping car after car

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE

this... we'd use it more to cool things off for 2-3 minutes before getting in during our lousy, hot summers.
but in Winter, even just the heated seats would be worth the trouble.

has anyone found/tested a remote system yet?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Do you have remote windows? I found just lowering them while walking to the car to be good at expelling the hot air initially. Then get in and drive and the AC takes over quickly.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
also remember that these cars have built in coolant warmers to get heat to the defrosters. hence you;ll see some heat, I have a ceramic heater I set inside , its on a timer so when I get in, its warm inside,,that RELLLLY helps...

WhatFloor

TDI
Golf 2015 TDI S Manual (Purchased new in 2017)
Better off using the block heater.
In Quebec City / Edmonton it gets $#$#@$ cold.
-30C is common. Idling produces heat only if vents are off. I let her idle for a minute and then drive slow / steady / low RPM until the engine is nice and warm. Then I open the vents to lowest setting if in city, on highway doesn't matter. It's incredible how slow the engine warms with vents open. Sometimes at a red light you can watch the engine temp decrease if the heat is on. Kinda funny.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Temp needle isn't the same as cabin heat, he's right the grid heater sucks up 1000W and pumps that into the cabin, while it isn't efficient it will warm it up the cabin it will be pretty warm compared to single temps outside.

As for temp gauge, with the more efficient EGR yeah the temp needle won't move much after 10 min, but what little heat the engine is producing will be dumped into the coolant.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It's "0" this morning with -11 wind chill.....and we are only as far north as NH, lol......The incredible seat heaters were the only things that saved my a$$ this long winter. The car starts first time, every time, after the 3.5 second glow plug warm-up, however, it takes easily 5-6 miles before I even consider turning the fan on. "One" time I let her idle while I was loading up for the days work, about 15 minutes.....The temp gauge needle did not budge a bit.
But.....man do I love this car!!!! :D

Kingston NH cold? hehehehe. Coldest I started the old jetta was -13F actual temps up near Rangely Maine, parked outside under a clear sky overnight, after double plugging it, it started but needed some peddle to keep it going, this was will 120K on the clock.

Also by not turning on the fan, you're losing out on the electric grid heater, yeah it won't blow hot air, but warm air is better then sitting in a frozen coffin. 1000W is still 1000W of heat you're passing up.

Last edited:

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
According to the specs on the brochure, 2015 TDIs like what I think the OP has come with a block heater. In the winter, using a block heater plugged into a timer would probably be a better choice than a remote start.