Best Manual Transmission For an 05 Golf TDI??? Looking to Swap Out.

FolksWagen

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Reverse is pooched and I figuired I could pick up a used transmission for cheaper than what it would cost to fix my current transmission. Currently with the stock tranny the car revs at 2000 rpm while travelling at 100km/hr in fith. I'm not really impressed with the rpm's the car pulls while on the highway. I normally shift the car at 2000 rpm. . . .

I haven't really looked into it, which is why i'm here but i'm guessing a tranny from another MK4 VR6 should bolt inot my car? I would LOVE taller gears seeing that I live in the country and the car is geared for city driving.

Has anyone else done anything like this and if it is possible is there any specific transmissions which I should look for to achieve taller gearing?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Kyle

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
No, A VR tranny will not bolt up. Different bell housing. A 4 cylinder gasser tranny will bolt up, but the gearing is all wrong. You will be about 3K RPMs at 60MPH. You would need a 5 speed from a TDI MK4. They tend to be very hard to find due to all the 01M swaps.

IMO, a 6 speed from Europe is the way to go.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Yup, I have done 2 of them in my cars. One was an auto to manual and the other was a 5 to 6 speed swap. Only way to fly!
Ryanp is excellent to deal with.