Launch Control

moore.ba

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi everyone,

Can someone tell my if the 2009 jetta tdi dsg come with launch control?

I tried it once:

Stopped car,
Turned off ESP,
Shifted to S,
Held brake and tried to rev to 3200 rpm

But... It seemed like tranny was still fighting the brakes so I stopped.

When I was told about the launch control program I thought it was supposed to kind of cancel the revs from going through the transmission until it hit 3000rpm. Like a race car. I just cant remember the name of that part.

Last edited:

moore.ba

Veteran Member
TDI
The salesperson said the car had it (obviously he could be wrong)
And the owners manual states how to do it for cars equipped with launch control
But I really don't know which ones have which features. From what I understand people discover new things on their
VW all the time...

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It probably has it (not sure) but I am sure that it would have to activated with VCDS........This issue came up with the 2006 when they 1st came out....afaik nobody ever figured it out.........:(

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
don't have time to find it for you, but if you look on youtube under VW DSG lauch control or something there are some videos giving instructions. I think it's only enabled on the R32 or GTI or GLI with DSG. I could be wrong but I know it's avaiable on some models, and you may only need to change the software to tell hardware that it can do it on your model, not really sure.... keep digging.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
Sip'n Diesel said:
never heard of launch control:confused:
Only followers of Formula 1 have, as no everyday car has it.

"Launch control" is an electronic device to control acceleration wheelspin, not really much of a concern on VWs except perhaps for driving on snow/ice. Renault was said to have the best one in F1 before these systems were banned.

In the world of everyday cars, this function is part of ESP systems, so if that is turned off it's gone. Has nothing whatsoever to do with revving engine with foot on brake.

wokwon

TDI
2007 Jetta TDI Graphite Blue
Only on petrol engines as far as I know. My mate with a MY05 MKV GTI has it. My MY07 Jetta TDI (BKD) does not.

The procedure is thus:
Warm up car and gearbox
Have front wheels pointed straight ahead
ESP Off
Left foot on brake on firmly, handbrake off
DSG in S
Apply throttle until you hit 2500 - 3000 RPM (it won't rev harder than 3000 on stock programming) and then quickly take foot of brake, feather throttle to control wheelspin.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
You don't have launch control. I tried a few times in my 09.

DSG GTIs and GLIs have it. I'm still trying to figure out how to program the ECU for launch control.

** Edited for forum search results on "Launch Control" **

Post #1865 in this thread talks about having a dealership flash launch control into your

Post #836 here are some directions in the 09 owners manual

First few posts in this thread talk about no launch control in the DSG Equipped A5 PDs

More reports of no launch control in NA TDIs.

This one is helpful from the Vortex. It discusses "TSB 37 06 06, dated 8 December 2006". I found it on yet another Launch Control search. Good information here... Basically, you have to find someone (tuner, dealer) with software to flash Launch Control for you.

Last edited:

moore.ba

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I guess I have to go slap the salesperson. Liar!
J/k of course
I was pretty excited to use the feature. I thought it would be cool to have the turbo spooled up before taking off
And all the torque the tdi has...would make for a pretty quick surge foreward!

bumblebeetdi

TDI
2006 Sunflower Yellow Beetle (Bumble Bee)
beg to differ

lkchris said:
Only followers of Formula 1 have, as no everyday car has it.

"Launch control" is an electronic device to control acceleration wheelspin, not really much of a concern on VWs except perhaps for driving on snow/ice. Renault was said to have the best one in F1 before these systems were banned.

In the world of everyday cars, this function is part of ESP systems, so if that is turned off it's gone. Has nothing whatsoever to do with revving engine with foot on brake.
Now I'm not sure about the TDI with launch control but if you go to VW and ask about launch control, you DO have to use the gas and brake. With DSG transmission in Sport, turn off ESP, hold the brake and put your foot to the floor, release the brake. That is what they have described on the new Golf GTI even.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
moore.ba said:
Well I guess I have to go slap the salesperson. Liar!
J/k of course
I was pretty excited to use the feature. I thought it would be cool to have the turbo spooled up before taking off
And all the torque the tdi has...would make for a pretty quick surge foreward!

They have no clue about these cars,They try to me the engine had a timing chain when it has a belt.

XJTdi

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I was surprised to read a "launch control" procedure similar to the one Bumblebeetdi mentioned in the owners manual for our 2010 Jetta TDI. Would I do it? Not anytime soon. I like the car too much to abuse it like that.