2001 New Beetle TDI

spider_mun

TDI
Beetle TDI 2001
Just had my 2001 Beetle TDI in the shop, "engine light" was on, and I did notice a lack of power, well they say new turbocharger is required. ($2200.00 est). I have had turbos fail (non VW, old Yami Seca Turbo) and I not sure what is wrong with the turbo on the VW, no indications, no oil leaks no noises, without visual inspection (crack or broken blades) what can the OBD-ii tell you? I do have the OBD-II software (vag-com) but my cable is on loan should have by next week. I am shopping for a turbo, I hope to replace myself, The Haynes manual I have says in order to change the turbocharger, the right-side drive axel needs to be removed? Not sure why, unless this is to remove the intercooler. I am an accomplished mechanic, so I am not unfamiliar with this, I maintain two large cruisers (boats) one has Hino Diesels(turbo). Anyone familiar with the New Beetle, and any with turbocharger replacement, any info would would be appriciated to speed up my repair. Seems odd to have to remove the drive axel?

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
Me thinks they are feeding you a pack of lies. Make sure you check out all the other sources for power loss, MAF, vacuum lines, N75, clogged fuel filter, plugged EGR valve before you replace the turbo. And IMPEX sells the turbo for around $750. if you DO replace the turbo, I'll buy the old one for $100!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
First, where are you located? Second it is a few things but likely a clogged VNT mechanism on the turbo. Dissasembly and cleaning car be done easily. You can pull the turbo from the bottom but it is easier to remove the intake and pull it out the top. Figure a good 5-7 hours for the whole job if you do it and are good at turning wrenches.

spider_mun

TDI
Beetle TDI 2001
Absolutely

I plan to do a bit more testing on this myself. I need to convince myself that it really is a turbo issue, whatis the VNT Mechanism? not sure what VNT on the turbo, unless you meant the wastegate mechanism?. I will be doing an intake cleaning, as well as the intercooler cleaning.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
The VNT is what replaced the wastegate on your car. It's a neat structure, but you can search on that. Please read the FAQ's - and the troubleshooting section. You may very well fix this problem with a bit of detective work.

jasonTDI

TDI
Your manual covers it. same turbo. BUT it won't tell you how to fix this. Do a search.

spider_mun

TDI
Beetle TDI 2001
tonight

I will follow up on some of the "VNT" checks, tonight, I will put the bug up on my friends rack, probably easier to work from under, not sure if the "VNT mechanism" is easier to get at from under the vehicle, but will try, won't cost me anything. I will see if it has some movement.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you go through the troubleshooting section of the FAQ's? It is worthwhile.

spider_mun

TDI
Beetle TDI 2001
Just spoke to a friend (VW dealer)

I spoke to a friend, head of service at a VW dealer, he said 99% of all turbo replacements at VW is not because the actual turbo is bad, is that VW will only replace the complete unit, and not the VNT mechanism, which is normaly what fails, but because they do not sell the individual part, you get a new turbo, wether you need it or not. He is getting me a price on just the VNT mechanism, he has a source.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd say more than 50% of the turbos are replaced are not bad at all - it's the N75, vaccum/pressure hoses going to it, or a sticking VNT when often can be fixed with proper cleaning. Go through the FAQ troubleshooting - don't just throw pieces at it.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
spider_mun said:
I spoke to a friend, head of service at a VW dealer, he said 99% of all turbo replacements at VW is not because the actual turbo is bad, is that VW will only replace the complete unit, and not the VNT mechanism, which is normaly what fails, but because they do not sell the individual part, you get a new turbo, wether you need it or not. He is getting me a price on just the VNT mechanism, he has a source.
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWPartsA4.htm C$265 + s/h +GST at Canada's favorite TDI supplier...

You can probably just clean and "exercise" the vanes...

Good luck,

Yuri.

spider_mun

TDI
Beetle TDI 2001
Update**

OK last night,put the Bug on the rack (nice to have a friend with a garage and hoist) was easier to get at the VNT vacuum from under the car, removed the skid plate, first I removed the vacuum line from the VNT can, and put on my vacuum pump, pumped up to about 14, not sure what the VNT was rated, I believe I read somewhere around 14~15, vane did not move, so I squirted some liquid wrench first, let sit, then some wd, and pumped up the vacuum, there was some slight movement, worked on it for a bit until there was a least some visible movement, but I don't know what the specs are for the actuator arm, what is the travel length, anyone have that spec?

I just answered my own question, I notice there is a "screw" stop, I see that my "vanes" are not opening enough, becasue if I remember last light it did not travel to the scew stop, so I will do some more work getting the vanes to open and close properly.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI
Keep working it, whatever you do don't adjust the arm length or the stop.

It will free up soon.

spider_mun

TDI
Beetle TDI 2001
Got ya

I have to put it aside this weekend, The bug did run better this morning, just a little off in top gear. I am off to the boat, have some work on the old chryslers this weekend. Never ends. Is it a blessing or a curse to be able to do your own repairs?

spider_mun

TDI
Beetle TDI 2001
Update on vag-com

I just got my cable back so I was able to get the codes, but before I contiune, I tested the MAF, I read in some other threads to disconnect the sensor, and for some reason the "engine light" went out? and the Bug ran much better, when I got home hooked up the vag-com, I only have ver 311.2, but in short here is the result
As indicated MAF was disconnected, did not have time to re run test with MAF sensor plugged in, also notice intermittent P1556, the N75 or Turbo Pressure switch. So I will replace the MAF and the Turbo Pressure switch
instead of replacing the Turbocharger.

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Chassis Type: 9C - VW Beetle
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,26,35,46,54,56

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 038 906 012 CR
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG 2841
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 00066
2 Faults Found:
17964 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation
P1556 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent