Leaking transaxle - HELP!

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
hey guys i have an 04 golf and the part thats leaking if right by the passenger cv axle boot (where it meets the transmission)

Is this an easy fix or what am i looking at to fix it? thanks in advance!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I thought my trans axle seal was leaking and found it to be the line from the brake reservoir to the clutch slave cylinder.

As far as the oil seal to the trans, you will need to do a trans fluid replacement in the process as it will leak out as the seal and axle are out.

Be sure to pull the fill plug before emptying the trans fluid so you know you can get more back in.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Thanks i will check and let you know - reason i assumed it was trans axle is i had it on the lift and everything else looked dry around just from that part it showed leakage but ill def check!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
A very small leak can look really bad ........... if possible, indirectly pressure wash off the oil and road debris. Wait a day or two and see how it looks.

Just a thought!

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
If it turns out to be the flange seal, you'll need a 12mm foursquare bit to get it off IIRC, along with a couple quarts of fluid to replace. I didn't have one of those bits when I went to remove a shaft the first time. I foolishly assumed it would be a hex bit.
Not a hugely difficult job but you'll be under there for awhile.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Well i just pressure washed the underside of it so i will have to drive around and post up some photos once the leak starts again, give me a couple days; thanks all for the advice and i hope its nothing major!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I suppose if you have transmission leak, washing off the housing would be an OK method. It's a lot more realistic to remove the fill plug (17mm allen socket) and see if oil runs out with the car level to the ground. If oil is coming out, you might just have an engine oil leak. You should be able to smell the difference, as gear oil has a sulfur smell.

If the gear oil is low, put your finger in the oil fill hole and find the oil level. If it's down 1/2", it's about 1/2 a quart low and you have a leak. The transmission only holds 2 quarts. If it's low, it's most likely a seal. Fix it.

On average, I'd say any transmission over 200,000 or 10 years usually has a transmission axle seal that is leaking and should have the gear oil changed out. I would bet a leaking seal is the #1 reason for destroyed differentials, particularly if it's an 01M, as there is only about 5/8th of a quart in the differential case. Not enough mechanics realize it's a separate reservoir for the differential.

There are actually several different axle flange bolts, depending on the year and model. An inexpensive XZN triple-square driver kit with a 1/2" hex drive can be bought in a box set at most of the retail parts stores for around $10-$12. The set will include sizes between 6mm - 12mm. Or there is FleaBay...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=xzn+bits

It's a simple rule for axle seals: If it's leaking, replace it.

When refilling manual transmissions, don't buy into the gear oils that say "GL-4/ GL-5". It can't be both and the sychronizer rings need the GL-4 gear oil. GL-5 tears up brass synchros.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I suppose if you have transmission leak, washing off the housing would be an OK method. It's a lot more realistic to remove the fill plug (17mm allen socket) and see if oil runs out with the car level to the ground. If oil is coming out, you might just have an engine oil leak. You should be able to smell the difference, as gear oil has a sulfur smell.

If the gear oil is low, put your finger in the oil fill hole and find the oil level. If it's down 1/2", it's about 1/2 a quart low and you have a leak. The transmission only holds 2 quarts. If it's low, it's most likely a seal. Fix it.

On average, I'd say any transmission over 200,000 or 10 years usually has a transmission axle seal that is leaking and should have the gear oil changed out. I would bet a leaking seal is the #1 reason for destroyed differentials, particularly if it's an 01M, as there is only about 5/8th of a quart in the differential case. Not enough mechanics realize it's a separate reservoir for the differential.

There are actually several different axle flange bolts, depending on the year and model. An inexpensive XZN triple-square driver kit with a 1/2" hex drive can be bought in a box set at most of the retail parts stores for around $10-$12. The set will include sizes between 6mm - 12mm. Or there is FleaBay...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=xzn+bits

It's a simple rule for axle seals: If it's leaking, replace it.

When refilling manual transmissions, don't buy into the gear oils that say "GL-4/ GL-5". It can't be both and the sychronizer rings need the GL-4 gear oil. GL-5 tears up brass synchros.

Good call on that; mine is a 5spd

If the transmission is full, should i change the trans oil and rear dif?

Also - I just checked underneath the car and the area by the transmission and axle are dry - looks like i have a leak coming from the corner of the oil pan to the housing (where those 3 big 16mm bolts are i believe) I will try to post up some pics to see what im looking at after i drive at least 100 miles

thanks for helping me out so far! appreciate this forum and the help even for an average owner to do this stuff!

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
vacuum pump leaks engine oil up high and it runs down on that area your talking about.

Thats nuts i was just thinking this is what if its leaking from above somewhere; i tightened some stuff around and washed it so i have to drive it around before i can find out exactly again

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I make it a point to change the 5 speed trans oil at every timing belt change.

I would guess a small leak over time is not as noticeable and could lead to premature wear on the 5th gear fork/ gear due to a lower level of oil.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
So far it seems much better and barely any black oil but nothing fresh to be dripping; seems like it was very filthy and needed a good wash; ill keep you guys posted if anything shows up leaking; as for now im waiting for the tranny oil to arrive and change that out

Still curious, is it worth changing rear oil too?