'05 Golf GLS TDI - 101k miles - needs turbocharger

tewhalen

TDI
2005 Golf
Chicago - 5 speed

Note: this car is not currently running - the turbocharger is seized.
I've been lurking on tdiclub forums for years, and I've learned a lot from you guys - sad that my registration and first post means that it's time for me to give up my beloved TDI Golf. Last week, on a trip to Wisconsin, it quit on me for the first time. We had it towed back to our long-term mechanic, and he replaced both the low-pressure and the high-pressure fuel pumps. While he was test-driving it just prior to returning it to us, the turbo decided to seize up. After consulting with my wife, the decision was made to move on.

That said, it's in great shape otherwise. We're the only owners, it has crazy low mileage for its age, limited external dings and scrapes. The driver-side mirror has lost its tip (we think it got winged by a CTA bus). As I mentioned above, it has two brand-new (!) fuel pumps. I had new Continental tires installed in January. All oil changes have been proper. The timing belt was replaced (my mechanic can provide the records). The brakes are in good shape, the clutch is in good shape, and we had recent suspension work as well.

Interior is in beautiful shape, the seat-warmers still work (I recently replaced the driver-side switch and it works great). Monsoon sound, but one speaker in the back is not working. I've got a an aux cord + old ipod interface in the glove box hooked in instead of the cd changer. The rear wiper is acting up, but the motor is good, it's just a loose connection somewhere.

Photos here: http://imgur.com/a/up5Pg
We're really not sure what it's worth (low mileage, but currently not working?!?), so please feel free to make an offer.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Lots of unknowns, plus it's dirty.

I'll start the bidding at $10 as long as it has a clean, lien-free title and all the parts are there (engine, transmission, front seats, 2 other tires, etc).

tewhalen

TDI
2005 Golf
The title is as clean as the car is dirty.

I've also still got all three rear headrests - I know those are worth more than $10.

I can include the original window sticker, if that sweetens the deal.

tewhalen

TDI
2005 Golf
Seeing you joined today and start by trying to sell a busted car, please read this first:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=200517
Thanks - I hesitated before posting, and did read the guidelines.

It's currently sitting in the lot outside our mechanics, and we need to figure out what to do with it in the next week or so. Frankly, our hope is to sell it to someone who wants it for parts or as a project – the alternative is probably donating it for its scrap value or paying someone to haul it away.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Isn't it a GL not a GLS since no leather and no steering wheel buttons? My bid is $400... and yes, I would drive to Chicago to get it...

tewhalen

TDI
2005 Golf
Isn't it a GL not a GLS since no leather and no steering wheel buttons?
In 2005, GLS was alloy wheels, power sunroof, and Monsoon stereo. Here's a free taste of that beautiful window sticker that I'm including in the package.

My bid is $400... and yes, I would drive to Chicago to get it...
This would be a steal - the tires and the floormats are worth $400 by themselves. The tires are Continental PureContact with EcoPlus - Grand Touring All-Season tires I just put on at most 2,000 miles ago.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Fred's is the toughest place to sell a TDI with an initial post that provides fodder for our skeptics and critics. We have many members, as you probably know by now, who carefully check "newbie" F/S ads, just to ensure visitors aren't dumping bad cars on the community. What really sells are ads with lots of pictures, a definite price, and a decent (and confirmed) service history- all of which I'm guessing you can provide.

Given the car's low mileage, I'd suggest spending the $ on a good turbo and get it running. You might be surprised what a BEW, cleaned up and running, will fetch- it will certainly be worth the investment. Otherwise, it worth more in parts than the "take on chance on me" price- but I doubt you have the time or inclination to part it out.

Is this Ted, by the way?

Last edited:

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan, 05 Passat sedan
just to ensure visitors aren't dumping bad cars on the community...
Misread visitor as VOA. My bad. Bad as in mistake not poor design or scandal..
I know what you mean though.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
In 2005, GLS was alloy wheels, power sunroof, and Monsoon stereo. Here's a free taste of that beautiful window sticker that I'm including in the package.

This would be a steal - the tires and the floormats are worth $400 by themselves. The tires are Continental PureContact with EcoPlus - Grand Touring All-Season tires I just put on at most 2,000 miles ago.
GLWS. The car needs a $600 TB job (installed), a $800 turbo (plus labor, I'd do it myself), probably needs pads and rotors all around so theres another $200 (plus labor, I'd do it myself). Also, at a minimum a good heavy 8 hour cleaning. Then after all that, there's another $300 in contingency money for little things that pop up like a new battery etc that are unforseen. How's the clutch after 100k miles of Chicago city driving? How's the muffler flex pipe? What about the heater core (since those can go regardless of mileage)? Suspension, how's that? I'm just being realistic as that is what EVERYONE who would consider buying this to repair don't know.

Realistically, if you want to sell it and recoup as much money as possible, you need to fix it. Take the car to a trusted mechanic from this site and have them repair the car. You would probably have $3000 (parts and labor) in it but it would be a $6000 car.

By the way, you need to post a price per forum rules, this is not an auction house.

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
"GLWS. The car needs a $600 TB job (installed), a $800 turbo (plus labor, I'd do it myself), probably needs pads and rotors all around so theres another $200 (plus labor, I'd do it myself). Also, at a minimum a good heavy 8 hour cleaning. Then after all that, there's another $300 in contingency money for little things that pop up like a new battery etc that are unforseen. How's the clutch after 100k miles of Chicago city driving? How's the muffler flex pipe? What about the heater core (since those can go regardless of mileage)? Suspension, how's that? I'm just being realistic as that is what EVERYONE who would consider buying this to repair don't know."

If you didn't want to invest your money, list for probably $3,500 or b/o and see what happens. It is a very nice car. You should get some activity, here and if not CL the thing. I won't expect you to know the condition of your heater core. I understand you not posting, (newbi), but since you were a fellow TDI owner since 2005, welcome aboard. GLWS.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Really do need a price. I could maybe get this. But it would delay getting another one fixed. Pm me with a price please.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Ha, yes it is! Hi Steve - please come get this car.
Hi Ted! I hope you and Donna and Frances are well!

I would be tempted to remove the turbo and take the back roads all the way home to New England, but I want to suggest some other things first.

It sounds like you have a trusted mechanic that has been servicing the car for some time, but I have to ask: Is he a TDI guy? Although your car is 12 years old, 100k miles is quite early for the turbo to go bad, and is one of the most often misdiagnosed items by mechs who are not 100% TDI gurus. It is fairly common for owners to be told to replace the turbo, only for the source of the problem to be something else. That being said, I would want to confirm what is wrong with the turbo (which you can also do yourself, if you have the time). If the turbo is confirmed bad, see if you can get pictures of the vanes, and determine if there was any associated damage or parts to replace.

A new Mahle turbo is $700 from IDParts (you could get a confirmed good used one for less), plus install costs- which you could also do yourself, with some of the how-to threads here (and the time/space to do it, which obviously might be a problem). Without a running engine, not only are prospective buyers taking a risk on the block, but they can't drive it to confirm the other big ticket items are ok, including transmission, suspension, etc. Further, the majority of buyers won't consider it b/c they can't drive it home, and they simply won't deal with shipping or transport costs.

Once the engine is running, the car holds quite a bit of value: Late model BEW engine Golf with a stick, one owner, service history, no major accidents, all options except the leather package (a plus for many of us), and exceptionally low miles. Mk IV TDI's with less than 200k miles are routinely posted in the $4,000-$6,000 range- although obviously some sellers ask or settle for less. I'm tempted to say that yours will be among the lowest mileage cars posted in many years, which means (if it was running) you could attract buyers nationwide.

Savvy and skeptical TDI shoppers are thinking certain things, some of which you are likely aware of:

1) Price? The forum rules for TDIClub classifieds require a price. Honestly, my suggestion is not to post one, but close this thread, and either use a different forum to gather input (if you want it), or get the engine running so the car has a new life and sells for its proper value. Otherwise, someone will take it for cheap, do minimal work, and sell it for lots- I'm guessing you'll see some PM's in your inbox.

2) Timing belt? The BEW is due prior to 100k miles. Buyers want confirmation (a pic of the receipt helps, whereas saying that it's been done, does not) that a TDI Guru did it properly- along with all the associated items (rollers, tensioner, water pump, t-stat and housing, new G12 coolant, etc.). If they don't have this, buyers often won't run the engine w/o a new TB service, which is a considerable cost.

3) Pictures. The more the better- 360*, one taken every few paces, and then thorough pix of the engine, trunk, interior, cluster, dash, rotor & pads, tire tread depth, and underbody. The pictures are often less about "condition" than they are about the mental calculator of costs: Buyers are just adding or subtracting to determine value and what they will pay. Pictures of new tires or shocks/struts allow buyers to confirm that it's been done, but also to knock off those items as additional costs and hassles. If the car is well-serviced, pictures go a long way toward "proving" it. Thorough pictures also expand your market.

4) Service history. You provided some good basic details, but it wouldn't hurt to tell a story. You guys are the original owners, with the window sticker- If you have good records, start by speaking to the basics, and then post a chronological list of major services. Buyers (even those not found here) want to know which oil and filter you have been using at 10,000mi changes- and oil changes at 5k miles often earn scorn, while the wrong oil is a red flag. Buyers want to know which Contis were put on, are they cheap PureContacts in the wrong size, or ProContacts with a transferable warranty, etc. Buyers want to know that good filters and fluids were installed at the right intervals, that good suspension parts were installed (and what, exactly was replaced), and your records and receipts add value to the car and provide a level of security to buyers. Again, good pictures help tremendously here.

5) Condition. This car has been garaged for some of it's life? Very few dings? No sig accidents? Interior in great shape? Anthracite Blue is not rare, but it's far less common than Reflex Silver, White, Black, etc, and it looks great when cleaned and shining in the sun- show it off. Again, the mantra is about thorough pictures, but also, when buyers see an ad where the seller hasn't vacuumed or washed the car, they expect that someone is dumping it, and the level of care in the F/S ad reflects the level of care of the car. This isn't always true- you're busy, the car isn't at home, and life provides other things to do, but the car fetches greatest value when the pictures and attention to detail in the F/S ad reflect the car's true condition and upkeep. Buyers want to see that road salt isn't eating away at the front quarter panels or underbody, that the headliner isn't stained from sunroof leaks, and that the dirt on the paint isn't covering dents, hail damage, or locust bites.

6) Little things. Most buyers expect that interior wear from the previous owner will be inherited- they don't expect you buy or fix slight wear to the driver's bolster by swapping out seats. The little problems, however, can easily be fixed, and add value to the car, while expanding the market past the DIY crowd. Again, these things take a little time, and are easier if the car is at home, but often make the difference between a stellar F/S ad and all the rest.

Lastly, I just want to talk about value. My car (and M's) are older than yours and have twice the mileage, but I wouldn't sell them for less than $5,000 (and I wouldn't sell my mine for $6k). Of course, each owner and seller sets a price that they are happy with, and meets their parameters, but my point is that your car, with low mileage, holds quite a bit of value. If I brought your car back to New England, I'd get a proper diagnosis and eval of the turbo and TB, fix all the little things, wash and wax it, re-paint the Jaramas, vacuum and detail the interior, give it a 100% mechanical go-through, and then advertise it nationally for, um, a considerable amount of money. Of course, there would be a TDIClub discount for members.

Take a look at some of the asking prices. Again, this doesn't always equate to a sale price, but it gives you an idea of values. Of course, some buyers prefer an ALH, or a wagon, or want engine modifications, but you car offers extremely low mileage- often one of the strongest selling points.

2003 J, 5M, 129k miles, $7,150
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=474930

2003 JW, 147k miles, $6,000
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477972

2002 G, 5M, 237k miles, $5,200
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477976

2005 JW, 5M, 161k miles, $4,700
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476609

2003 G, Auto, 132k miles, $5,500
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478027

2003 J, 5M, 341k miles, $4,300
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478010

2003 G, 5M, 145k miles, $6,000
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476505

I hope this helps. If you need it, I have a speaker I can send you, or a center cap for the Jarama on the rear. In the end, don't let it go for cheap. If all else fails, you can flat-bed ship it to me for a few hundred bucks, I'll put in the time and work, and we can split the fortune when it sells!

Let me know if you need more info/help.

-S.

Last edited:

tewhalen

TDI
2005 Golf
Thanks - we'd love to do all that, but we just don't have the space in our lives right now to deal with fixing it up (sick parents, lots of work travel, etc. - you know how it goes).

All the non-dealer service and oil changes (since we got back from Michigan in 2009), including the timing belt, has been done at http://www.vfc-engineering.com/ (I'm pretty sure I found the recommendation on this forum to start taking it there in the first place). They did the timing belt and all the brakes (in Apr 2014 at 80k), rear shocks+springs (82k), and front struts (in Nov 2015 at 92k). That's where we had the car towed when it broke down, and that's where it is now. Because we've been customers for so long, they're willing to hang onto it for a week or two. However, we don't have room for both it and its replacement in our garage and we just can't spend the time "doing the right thing" ourselves.

Last edited:

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
The used ones on here seem to run about 250. Don't know what it would be to have it installed, but at least it would run and drive.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472643

Seems pretty strange it would seize, but who am I? You have put a lot of work into it. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion? Could be a simple vacuum line or one of the hard plastic lines going from the vac. pump to the brake booster. Lose vacuum and get limp mode.

Couple of good photos
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360268

Well good luck.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Chicago - 5 speed

Note: this car is not currently running - the turbocharger is seized.
I've been lurking on tdiclub forums for years, and I've learned a lot from you guys - sad that my registration and first post means that it's time for me to give up my beloved TDI Golf. Last week, on a trip to Wisconsin, it quit on me for the first time. We had it towed back to our long-term mechanic, and he replaced both the low-pressure and the high-pressure fuel pumps. While he was test-driving it just prior to returning it to us, the turbo decided to seize up. After consulting with my wife, the decision was made to move on.

That said, it's in great shape otherwise. We're the only owners, it has crazy low mileage for its age, limited external dings and scrapes. The driver-side mirror has lost its tip (we think it got winged by a CTA bus). As I mentioned above, it has two brand-new (!) fuel pumps. I had new Continental tires installed in January. All oil changes have been proper. The timing belt was replaced (my mechanic can provide the records). The brakes are in good shape, the clutch is in good shape, and we had recent suspension work as well.

Interior is in beautiful shape, the seat-warmers still work (I recently replaced the driver-side switch and it works great). Monsoon sound, but one speaker in the back is not working. I've got a an aux cord + old ipod interface in the glove box hooked in instead of the cd changer. The rear wiper is acting up, but the motor is good, it's just a loose connection somewhere.

Photos here: http://imgur.com/a/up5Pg
We're really not sure what it's worth (low mileage, but currently not working?!?), so please feel free to make an offer.

As requested - multiple times - you MUST post a price, per forum rules. (that you admitted to reading)