Is my Jetta DEAD?

TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
I have a 2000 VW jetta 1.9 tdi. it has 230,000 miles on the engine. It has been a daily driver for 5 years or so and I love the vehicle. I went to the bank a couple of weeks ago and when I got back in my car it tried to start normally but being a diesel it sometimes doesn't start on the first try. I turned the key for a second time and the engine would barely turn over.

Couple of knowns:

1. the timing belt is not broken.
2. the starter is not stuck in the flywheel. I removed it and have tested it by connecting it to a battery and triggering it with a jumper. Seems to work fine.
3. I took the timing belt off to see if things turned freely and I can't turn the cam shaft at all?
4. I haven't pulled injectors to see if the cylinders are full of coolant but that is next on the list.

Any thoughts on what it could be or is it time to find a new old TDI?

Thanks,
Lou

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
So instead of testing the battery, you tore the engine apart? Put it back together and test the starter and battery.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you have, indeed, removed the timing belt, then STOP!

You must replace it properly, so if you don't have the proper tools and don't know the proper procedure, then better find someone who does. And don't take the word of some guy who says he knows. Find someone who really knows.

Cheers,

PH

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Well, that went south fast, :(

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Wow, I am all for doing work yourself, but this... this is why we need mechanics.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You just need to educate yourself some before starting anything. Disassembling things when you don't have a clue generally leads to trouble. I see cars like this all the time on CL that are in "perfect" shape except the engine is torn apart.