First 10,000 mile service free?

Pappa Grande

TDI
2015 GSW S 6sp [was 2013 Passat TDI 6sp & was 2002 Golf]
For some reason, I think the first 10,000 mile service is free for the 2015 Golf GSW S.

Am I correct, or completely making this up?

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
What kind of risk is there with an oil change? I get the dislike and mistrust of dealership service departments, but it's just an oil change. Right?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
What kind of risk is there with an oil change? I get the dislike and mistrust of dealership service departments, but it's just an oil change. Right?
Wrong oil.
Wrong level.
No change at all.

Those are the big three we've read about here over the years. :p

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
3 years or 30k,whichever comes first, at least where I bought mine. They did the 10k and 20k on my '16 Jetta, I was happy with dealer. I will mark the filter w/ paint pen when I do the first service.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe it says right on the window sticker that 10k service is free. I'm on the road or I'd verify.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
for '15s VWoA picks up the first 10K service on their dime, anything beyond that is the dealer looking out for their customer. '15 was the last year of the carefree maintenance.

Not really bummed that the Alltrack won't see a dealer again except for warranty issues.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
Wrong oil.
Wrong level.
No change at all.

Those are the big three we've read about here over the years. :p
One of the local dealers used to strip the drain plug on my A3 Jetta.
Thank god that dealer (DCH VW in Maplewood, NJ) is no longer selling VWs.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
First one is free...
Next two are $169 Total If you prebuy...has the fuel, air and cabin filter... prepaid this is a great compared to separate.
The 40,000 if you have a DSG will have a flush..was $580 for me...I did my own DEF refil for $6 saving $49.
The 40,000 and 50,000 prebuy is not a good deal, best kept separate.

Guess your trust of a dealer cones down to their basic competency.
Sucks to have a bad one ..why use them at all then? Go to a different dealer?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
for '15s VWoA picks up the first 10K service on their dime, anything beyond that is the dealer looking out for their customer. '15 was the last year of the carefree maintenance.

Not really bummed that the Alltrack won't see a dealer again except for warranty issues.
No..
2014 was the last year of carefree....
2015 pays for regular beyond warrenty work and the first oil change.
But my $500 dealer card paid for more than all I needed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Guess I mispsoke about the "Carefree". But, what's "regular beyond warranty work"? The owner pays for anything more than warranty work and a free oil change?

I've always considered the 10K service an oil change only, I don't credit their 169 point inspection worth much. Seeing we don't travel more than 5-10K between summer and winter tires change, I've seen the benefit of have the dealer over torque the lug bolts.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Items like wipers that can wear out we're included in the"carefree" for the first few years...
Think the $500 dealer card I got paid for the 20+30k service, and a million wiper blades and extra oil...and more free stuff....
The "carefree" service" was IMO only about a $180 RETAIL value add on...heck the services were only $169 retail...
So I'm it was more about keeping the customer going back to the dealership

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ohh. Well maybe I'll just do it myself then or take it to a diesel mechanic
I mean, if you trust the dealer that's different. I don't trust the closest one to me. I'll admit I've never made any effort to warm up to them. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, know some of the folks in the service department, or are concerned with having a dealer maintenance paper trail, it may in your interest to go to the dealer.

I personally stay on top of my own scheduled maintenance and keep meticulous records and receipts. Some people don't want to do all that, and I understand.