Richmond Hill - ALH Timing Belt Tools Needed

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Water pump started leaking - luckily already have most parts on hand but need to fix it ASAP.

I need timing belt tools (ALH, preferably the no-valve-cover-removal style if beggars can be choosers). In Richmond Hill and commute to Mississauga daily, will be in Stratford area (St. Mary's) tomorrow. Let me know how to return the favour! Thanks in advance.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I have the tools, and will be in Guelph again next week. Changed a quite a few of those belts, and not sure it is possible without removing the valve cover, never seen or heard of that. Only one way to check true tdc, is by the 1 cam lobes being in the up position, and then installing the cam lock which requires the valve cover to be removed.....I am away until next Tuesday, so not much help. Good luck

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
The new style looks like this:

And goes on like this:

VW# T10098A
Metalnerd# MNT98A

Is there any place local I can buy the tools if all else fails? GermanOEM has them but no local pickup option, Snapon might work if I knew a tool truck operator :/

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Just make them. The pump pin is a standard drill bit size, and the cam holding bar can be made from angle iron or bar stock.

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are the dimensions:

I lack the tools, material, and skills to fabricate anything more complex than a paper airplane...

On the bright side, I took the timing cover off to have a closer look. Turns out that what looked like a coolant leak from the pump is just splashes from the real leak/when I refill the coolant tank every 500km and sometimes miss. The pump is a Hepu, so must have been replaced with the last belt job. The actual leak is coming from the return line.

Unfortunately the PO did not specify at what point this change occurred. Given that the belt age is unknown and I found paint n' pray marks, I'd still like to change it all out:

Last edited:

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
Decided to order from the SnapOn site as the prices are actually quite reasonable:

I'll try and give fab a shot and buy some flat bar to recreate the cam puller, and cam counterhold. Will also try making a beefy crank counterhold to remove the sprocket bolt for the seal job. My friend has a cheapo Princess Auto welder so there's no time like the present to learn :)

Wish me luck!

2002TDIguy

TDI
2002 jetta ALH
I did not use special tools. Standard drill bit for fuel pump pulley and after removing valve cover use vise grips to lock camshaft (attach to rough casting area) against the head where the valve cover sits.