Rate this new tool

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

stevekris

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle 99 silver
That is the wrong tool for A4 cars. It is marked right on the box but the paperwork inside is wrong. That tool is for a Vauxhall. I bought it, it is too small. The people that sell it have no idea, they say the mfg says it is the right tool. Hope this helps. Thanks steve

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
hmm.. I wonder if that would work with the adapter I made for the MK4's... I should just suck it up and make 5 or 10 setups and sell them on here, but I don't really have the time.. I still haven't made a replacement for the tool I sent Herm a few months ago haha.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have the OEM tool. It was over $1000, but it works. I still often have to use an air-chisel to cut a slot in the old bushing before it will start moving. :rolleyes:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I should make a quick video of me using the tool I made. I take them out with the air chisel, and put them back in with a makeshift tool I made out of a modified ball joint press adapter, a mk4 strut bearing, and some threaded rod... I typically do a set of mk4 bushings in a half hour start to finish.. Herm, along with 20-30 others at Ho5G watched me do 3 sets quicker than I thought I would be able to do them.. I forgot what the "official" time was, but someone had a stopwatch.. good times.. I think I have about $18 into the tool..

stevekris

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle 99 silver
I have the right tool for putting them in. I will post the # later today. It was about $75.00. It will not remove the old ones. Thanks Steve

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Bushing tool

snip.....snip.. I still haven't made a replacement for the tool I sent Herm a few months ago haha.

I used your tool just yesterday. I don't have the finesse that you do but the tool works like "Buddah" :)
Thanks again!

Herm

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I have made my own tool for this job.

My local dealer uses mine and lets the factory 1k tool set there.

After the fact I bought one of those cheap ones in the red box for them to try.

They still thought mine was better made, quicker, easier and more sturdy.

I have one of those red case used ones for sale. 40.00 + shipping/paypal.

I have mine for sale 200 + shipping/paypal. I have a few left. Only had a dozen made first run. I made it because I needed it. Made a prototype that was well proven then a run of a dozen.

I have also rented mine.

Just never bothered to add something to my signature or start a thread.

I have several techs that can now do this in an hour. With the beam on the car. In the rust belt.

No matter which tool you use get the best bushings. I prefer OEM. Not a place to try and save a few bucks.

The removal is a hammer and air chisel, a sawzall if you like to cut the outer metal ring.

But of the three tools and the work arounds they had "engineered" the VW techs have used they prefer mine for installation. Keeps the new bushing in line. Ratchet it in. They add a little lube for kicks but don't really spend time cleaning up the hole like they used to.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd be interested in your tool, can you post some pics?

I use an old cylinder hone to clean the bores, that seems to work well. And I only use OEM bushings from the dealer.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll use either OEM bushings or for some stiffer ones I'll go OEM from europe.. The stiffer ones are a LOT more $$ but some people's suspension almost require them.. 99% of them are good with OEM softies..

stevekris

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle 99 silver
The tool I have is by JTC VW-Audi rear suspension tool # 4649. Came from a place in California, can't find the invoice. It is made in Taiwan. Puts them in only, works well. Hope this helps. Thanks Steve

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
How often do the rear bushings need to be replaced? I've never heard of one going bad.

--Nate

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Sealey VS722 is what I have and it works great.