Turbo cleaning

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi80tdi, A2 ahf project in progress...
Hi everyone just got a quick question,

I was going to remove the turbo of my Jetta to clean but Iv read in a repair manual that the gasket and the nuts which attach the turbo to the exhaust manifold have to be replaced with brand new items when removed. Will I have to do this or could i getaway with re using them??

Cheers for any advice!

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
well on my jetta when i took turbo off i didnt have a gasket but i have the ahu model. you should replace some gaskets that are like cork asnd rubber. if they are metal you can reuse like for egr cooler but the turbo ones i did replace.

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
My Passat didn't have a gasket between the manifold and the turbo. on the downpipe I used some exaust gasket cement, and let it dry overnight.

if your going thru all the trouble of removing that I would suggest cleaning the intake if you have not already done so.

Also now is a good time to install an EGT probe.

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi80tdi, A2 ahf project in progress...
thanks for the help guys Im going to take it off soon but got some electrical problems to sort out.

Dont want to sound stoopid but whats a EGT probe??

thanks.

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
An EGT probe tells you how hot the engine is, but then you'll need an EGT gauge /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Close, but not quite. The coolant temp gauge isn't too bad for engine temps, but many use the oil for engine. EGT is 'exhaust gas temperature'. It measures the temp just past the turbo (the temp of the gas in the exhaust system). The turbo can only take so much heat, so with a lot of mods it is sometimes a good idea to keep an eye on the EGT.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
Not to be confused with TIT...you can use basically the same setup as EGT, but between the engine and turbo...so now you're monitoring Turbo Inlet Temp...

So, exahust temp out of the turbo is EGT, exhaust temp into the turbo is TIT. Pop quiz next week! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keith