02' NB ALH upgrade advice/options?

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
As the title suggests I'm looking for some input on upgrades to my 02' NB. This is what I have to start with....

Up stage 2
pp520 injectors
race pipe
vr6 clutch 10lbs flywheel
TT shifter
boost valve @15psi
VDO boost gauge

In the next couple of weeks I plan to add an intercooler. Most likely water to air due to space constrains under the hood.

also..

A PD lift pump. (my fuel gauge is dead in the reserve levels so this upgrade will fix that too)

and..

EGT gauge. I plan to tow a small pop-up next summer.

and..

I have all the pieces to assemble a 2.5" straight thru exhaust. Just need a long weekend to weld it up. (I have a lathe and plan to port match a flange to the turbo)

I'm looking to get a retune from Jeff at the Atlanta gtg, assuming we can get enough people lined up. From the reports I hear about Upsolute their tunes leave a bit to be desired, and I only eek about 43mpg out of it most times so I think this is a must.

I have considered a turbo upgrade, but am unsure how much turbo I can fuel with my existing nozzles. I have also given thought to an IP upgrade, and would even be willing to rebuild it myself, if decent quality heads and camplates were readily available.

Am I missing a really cost effective upgrade here?

I've got a mill and lathe so fabbing a manifold for a non-plug-n-play turbo wouldn't be out of the question, and those turbos seem to be cheaper and more readilly available.