leaking Tandem Pump - 2004 PD

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
leaking Tandem Pump-04 BEW -pump recalled?

So I noticed my throttle body coolant hose was leaking again (# 1J0 122 447 ER) - Leaking right under the Tandem pump. this is second time it has started leaking, I replaced it once before about 5 y ears ago. The hose was swollen and really soft like diesel was leaking on it. After research on leaking Tandem Pumps, I see there was a safety recall for a specific VIN range LUK Tandem Pumps.

I printed off the recall campaign notice, took it to the dealer and said my pump is weeping and I want it replaced under the safety recall (04V-586).

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM4845766/RCRIT-04V586-7306.PDF

First off the Dealer (Campbell Nelson) argued with me that my VIN shows no open campaigns. There is nothing they can do.

I told them my VIN falls within the campaign range, it is a LUK pump, it doesn't have the green markings as noted in the Safety Recall - then the idiot service writer said my VIN is out of the Range....After showing him how to count from 1-10 he agreed my VIN was in the range. So I said I would like to have my pump replaced. Then he asked how many miles are on my Jetta, I said it doesn't matter, there is a safety recall for leaking pumps as noted in the campaign. He said pumps leak after time, sorry, replace your coolant hose and put aluminum foil over the hose to keep the diesel off it. (a brilliant solution he thought!)

I said since I am getting know where with you could I talk to someone else?

Then another service writer came over and said pumps leak after time, replace your pump. I told him that is what I am wanting you to do since there was a recall for the tandem pumps. The safety recall specifically states the pumps could spray hot diesel and cause an engine fire or cause following vehicles to lose control due to leaking diesel. Then he said Diesel won't catch fire. I said yes it will, that is why there is a safety recall issued from VWoA. (****ing Morons!)

That is when I left.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get my pump replaced under the recall? I know this campaign is really old, but my VIN does fall into the range of affected pumps, it is a LUK with out the green marks on top and therefore, as far as I see it, should be replaced under recall 04V-586. It has been leaking a long, time it is just now that I became aware of the recall.

Paul

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Once the campaign is closed, it's closed. Just buy a new pump (you can get them from other sources than the dealer for far less money) and motor on.

They are not hard to replace, you may want some ball-ended long reach Allen bits though. The pump comes with a gasket. We replace a handful of them every year.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
Call Volkswagen of America and tell them that, LOL. Also, ask them if I can get new heat exchangers for free on my '79 Transporter while you are at it. I mean, if they never close.... :p

Called VWoA they are looking into why the recall was not listed under my VIN campaign. He said he would research the VIN reporting and call me back by tomorrow.

So the good news is, he agreed and accepted the fact that I should be covered.

I did read from a report on Edmunds that NHTSA safety recall may expire 10 years after it was officially issued. This one was issued in 2005.

isn't GM replacing ignition switches from 12 year old vehicles right now?

oilhammer

TDI
GM has to do a lot to save face, especially in light of all the tax money they gladly accepted.

VAG has no such cross to bear. And the Germans dance to the beat of their own drum.

Yes, 10 years is about it, although I have had other people with BEW and BHW cars with leaky tandem pumps not get any coverage, hence why I have had to replace so many.

My 2004 BHW was under the recall, when it was not even a year old. A decade has gone by since then.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Once the campaign is closed, it's closed. Just buy a new pump (you can get them from other sources than the dealer for far less money) and motor on.

They are not hard to replace, you may want some ball-ended long reach Allen bits though. The pump comes with a gasket. We replace a handful of them every year.
Hey Brian - if you don't mind, save me some of your old tandem pumps. I am working on a solution for the leaking pumps.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Will do. I tried to find an o-ring for the Luk version, but the ones I found that fit did not stand up to diesel for very long.

I do have another Luk pump here in the scrap bin I will pull out for you.

Worldpac has new Pierbug pumps for $281 cost, that's generally what we install. Volkswagen gets over $450 for one.

Not found a source for a Bosch one.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
How much of a leak are we talking about here? Mine was "weeping" for years, actually I think its stopped this winter... Took out a coolant line, but I bought some generic line and rerouted it away from the now not leaking pump.

oilhammer

TDI
They'll leak enough to ruin the coolant hose, ruin the seal on the water neck, and even get down and ruin the roll mount underneath. Doesn't take much, over time diesel + rubber does a lot of damage, and it doesn't really evaporate.

RhyseA

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI / 2009 Jetta TDI
I've got a leaky pump that the previous owner gave me when I purchased the car. Car only had 120k on it when it was replaced. Are these worth repairing?

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
My VIN falls in the ranges outlined - 235k miles on the original pump and no leaks. Guessing it's still good to go after all these miles?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
From what I have read, safety recalls do not close.
Couldn't find it stated specifically from NHTSA (there's only so much wading I'll do when it's not an issue that directly affects me), but there's a blurb here:

http://ask.cars.com/2010/08/how-lon...-my-car-to-have-the-recall-item-replaced.html

That's my understanding as well. As a matter of fact, a few years ago when I picked up my 1993 F250 (that would have put it in the ~20 year-old bracket; 248k miles) I noticed that it had not had this one safety recall performed. Called local Ford dealer and went in and had it done.

I don't think that there's anything exceptional about Ford's handling of recalls. I think that VW just plain sucks.

Anyone encountering issues like this should contact NHTSA.

newedgesvt

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
http://www.metalmanparts.com/product.sc?productId=397&categoryId=75

Here is where I got my replacement tandem pump for $290 shipped.

I also tried quite a lot to get VW to replace mine last year but to no avail. You're probably going to end up having to order one and metalmanparts is the way to go.

Be careful with the vacuum pipe off the back of it to the brake booster though, I accidentally cracked mine and had no power brakes and had to shell out another $60.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
"They leak after time" is total BS. They just want you to pay for a new pump.

The gasket that leaks is for the pump cover. It's not really a wear part. There's no reason that should leak even after 100 years, unless it was a poor design, which I guess it was, hence the recall. It's probably the cycling of the pressure on the cover which eventually stretches the bolts and allows leaks. Well that's what I call a design flaw. Different bolts and/or a different gasket material is probably what they did to fix it on newer pumps.

I have a 2004 and mine leaked. I threw another one in there, washed down the engine with degreaser, and all is well now.

Richptl

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI automatic 305,000 miles
I searched around and can't find a document to confirm the VIN # range. Found expired links.

My VIN is WVWRR61J54W168761 2004 TDI wagon. Luk tandem pump. Car has 282,000 miles. Bought a new Pierburg pump. I've had an annoying, small leak of oil from the gasket, then just recently I think a fuel leak started, intermittent. I'm changing it this weekend.

Are all of the Luk pumps prone to failure, or just certain models?

I use Optilube consistently and before that had other fuel additives for lubricity, plus a 2 micron R45S filter. I'd assume internal wear on the pump is improved.

So oil can leak on back gasket, fuel can leak on front gasket, do the pumps themselves often wear out and lose fuel pressure and/or vacuum?