Car won't start...Help!!!-How to replace battery?

Buckaroo

Car won\'t start...Help!!!-How to replace battery?

Hello Guys,

I just finish searching the archives and can't find anything but this must be a known problem...

Here is my problem...after a -30C night and forgetting to plug the heater, I tried to start the car. It turned 1 turn then the second turn was even more slow and slow and slow until the lights in the Dash started blinking and you could hear a clicking sound as the dash was blinking. I tried to boost the car with my wife Toyota Echo (Second emergency car
) still no go.

The head lights light up the radio turns on, the interior lights turn on....

So not sure if this is a battery problem...

I don't want to have to tow it in

Any taught?

thanks

Buckaroo

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Re: Car won\'t start...Help!!!

To me it sounds like a dead battery. How old is the battery? I would say if it's, say, 3+ or so years old, why not take it in with the Echo and get a new one. It's gotta be cheaper than the towing deal.

Buckaroo

Yes it is what I suppect...

I am still on the original battery (it's a 99.5 golf) and procrastinated and now I was waiting till spring. But why that even boosting it, it does not start?

tdiNY

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black

Would the car continue to run with the Echo battery connected and her car on?

Bad alternator?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Wow, original battery on a '99.5? You have been on borrowed time for a while! I suspect it has been slowly dying you just never noticed until it was so cold.

You Echo's battery and charging system is no match for a TDI, and if the battery is totally DOA you won't likely be able to jump it with the 'yota.

Buckaroo

Car won\'t start...Help!!!

Does anyone have pics or instruction on how to remove the battery from a GOLF IV 99.5? I looked around and not sure how the battery is holding in place and today is going to be -18C so don't want to be outside to long

thanks for you help.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Buck, Volkswagen used a couple different battery covers on their A4 chassis cars. Either the soft canvas looking one that unsnaps/velcro or the rigid plastic one that has two release buttons, one on each side.

Either way, you'll need to remove that upper cover. Then the junction block for all the positive wires will hinge up and unsnap from the hinge near the air cleaner. Sometimes it helps to remove the positive cable branch from the main cable at the battery that goes over to this junction block so that you have more room to flip it up out of the way. Remove the ground cable first, though.

Once all the battery covers have been removed, there is a single 13mm bolt down behind the headlight holding a little plate down. Remove that bolt and plate (don't drop them!), slide the battery about a half inch forward and lift the battery out. You can make a bit more room up there by removing the two Phillips or Torx screws on the piece of plastic that has the headlight symbol on it. The hood cable kind of meanders under this piece.

Be sure and check the cleanliness of the main body ground under the battery while you have it out, and be sure and put all the covers back in place as the factory had them. This helps keep the battery from extreme temps and will help it to last longer.

I know it is a convoluted mess, that is just the way Germans are about batteries! Stay warm up there!

Buckaroo

Thanks for the help Oilhammer.

I have the first type battery cover that you mentionned

I'm going out now...

I will let you know how it went. (If i'm not back in 3 hours...Send someone to thaw me out
)

Buckaroo

HELP....

I just finished changing my battery (Thanks Oilhammer) and now when I try tostart the car, the alarms (bells everyhting) goes off.

My remote key has not worked for years and now wandering what I can do????

HELP

thanks

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel

Have you unlocked the door with the key since you changed the battery?

Buckaroo

Excatly....Was coming back in to write what was the problem...

It would seem that the Alarm system re-activates when you undo the battery?

I never lock my doors since I have to fix the Door switch next spring. So when I opened the door, I never taught of checking my little blinking light on the door...

The wife (the brains in the familly) taught of it. Did you check the alarm system..Bang on. had to fiddle with the lock for about 15 minutes and "tut tut" alarm when on and then off...started the car with no problem...

Guys the forum is the best...

thanks for all you help.

Buckaroo

Up here it was -20C (-28C with the windchill factor)
That is why I did not want to stay out there to figure out how to get the Battery case off

anyway..

thanks for all your help

Buckaroo