05 Passat cruise stops working

discodog

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Graphite Blue
Driving home from Dallas, my cruise control stopped working completely. The light was still on the dash, but it would not engage when I pressed the "set" button. I completely turned the cruise off (clicked all the way to right, turning light off) and back on and tried again with no luck. I continued to try every 10 minutes or so for the rest of the trip and it would never work. I called my dealer and he said to bring it by. About 30 minutes later I tried again and it worked fine. Any of you guys seen or heard anything like this? I have about 6K miles. I did not take it to the dealer.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It has happened to me 3-4 times exactly as you described.....
I believe the problem may be a Sticking brake light switch a common problem on late model VW's

discodog

TDI
Thanks tomo. Did you get yours repaired or do you just live with it like that? I commute to work about 120 miles one-way and have become dependent on cruise on interstate to keep my sanity. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
Gosh, I thought I was the only one. The only difference with mine is that I seem to have to come to a stop before it will work again. I too thought the brake switch, but tapping/depressing the pedal doesn't seem to solve the problem, only a complete stop. I don't know if the switch is hardwired or relay/PLC driven.

Steve

discodog

TDI
Mine also started working again after I came to a complete stop. But I hate to pull over to the shoulder on Interststate every time this happens. Hopefully if wont be often, I can live with it every once in a while, just not everyday.