What did you do to your MKIV today?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Had to add more coolant - the nastygram light came on. This happens about once a year maybe. There’s a very slow leak that isn’t easily found and all of the hoses and water pump and things have been changed.

I can drive with the warning light on for a long time and she still won’t overheat, so I don’t worry about it any more than making sure to fill her up the next chance I get.

This could easily be avoided if I checked more often. DOH!
Check on the clip/o-ring connections to the heater core at the firewall. Mine went from zero to PITA a bit faster than you describe though.
cheers,
Douglas

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I purchased a VW OEM mini LED flashlight that recharges in the cigarette lighter. It's pretty bright for how small it is.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Before and after: Friday at 1:00 PM, leaving from MA to Madison WI.

This afternoon, back home, 49 hours later

2327 miles. Right around 35 hours of driving. Basically used 3 tanks of fuel, although I haven't replaced the third one yet. Two I used I got 49.2 and 51.9. Ran mostly at 75-80 MPH, A/C on about half the time. I drove overnight both Friday and last night, so it was cooler at night and I didn't need A/C. Only bad thing about the drive times was I had to drive into the sun in both directions.

And my EZPass quit. I figured it out in NY, paid cash for tolls in Ohio and Indiana. I think I'll be hearing from MA, IL, and NY.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Before and after: Friday at 1:00 PM, leaving from MA to Madison WI.

This afternoon, back home, 49 hours later

2327 miles. Right around 35 hours of driving. Basically used 3 tanks of fuel, although I haven't replaced the third one yet. Two I used I got 49.2 and 51.9. Ran mostly at 75-80 MPH, A/C on about half the time. I drove overnight both Friday and last night, so it was cooler at night and I didn't need A/C. Only bad thing about the drive times was I had to drive into the sun in both directions.

And my EZPass quit. I figured it out in NY, paid cash for tolls in Ohio and Indiana. I think I'll be hearing from MA, IL, and NY.

My question is: what has you driving so much!?!?! I’m happy to stay home and relax haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
My question is: what has you driving so much!?!?! I’m happy to stay home and relax haha

Can you think of a more enjoyable way to self-quarantine than traveling in your TDI?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My son is giving up his apartment in Madison WI because he's finished his Master's program, but doesn't know if he's staying there or coming back here. I drove out and brought his cat back so he can stay with friends and not worry about her. Also had an odd and informal graduation dinner.

I was surprised at how few cars were on the road. I barely had to kick the car out of cruise all the way across update NY, and that was on a Friday afternoon. Service areas were pretty much deserted.

Burgan

TDI
2003 Golf TDI GL
After switching to lift spring on the golf quite awhile ago, I started to notice the rear Koni shocks I had were at the top of their travel. So every time I went to pull into an inclined parking lot entrance or hit a dip in the road I'd hear the rear shocks top out. Then I took the car to a double header RallyCross weekend event and by the end of it the shocks were really bad. Snagged a crazy deal on a set of Fox Performance 2.0 shocks built for the 1997-2003 Ford F-150 4WD trucks. The F-150 of that generation uses similar mount style, stem & eye bolt. So I took about an hour this weekend installing them.

Pictures are of the shocks side by side. What it looks like from the side and the rear. Shocks are inverted Mono-tube.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Looks like my son's Golf. His has a 2" Metalnerd lift. Same color even. He's in Madison, you might see the car around sometime.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Quarterback-ed my son changing the oil in his '00 Jetta. Delo 400 synth 5W-40 and a Mann filter. Start to finish, 1/2 hour, and nobody got very oily...:)

next up: blend door fix on both his and mine. parts wagon first, then his, then mine.
cheers,
Douglas

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Snagged a crazy deal on a set of Fox Performance 2.0 shocks built for the 1997-2003 Ford F-150 4WD trucks.

Were you poring over parts catalogs or was this a happy coincidence?
I've thought about chopping out and rewelding a section of the shock mount, but my top-outs are either too infrequent or too soft to be noticeable.

Burgan

TDI
2003 Golf TDI GL
Were you poring over parts catalogs or was this a happy coincidence?

I've thought about chopping out and rewelding a section of the shock mount, but my top-outs are either too infrequent or too soft to be noticeable.
There's a Facebook group called Lifted Water cooled VW's. A bunch of members figured out that the F150 4WD rear shocks work as longer shock for the rear end once lifted. I ended looking for a inverted style due to clearance issues I ran into with F150 Bilstein shocks and a few members noted it was super close with some of the cheaper parts store models.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Did a 4 corner brake job on a 05 Beetle over the weekend. I had freed up the rear parking brake a few weeks ago and took care of an overboost issue so the owner was back driving it after it had been sitting a bit (few months).
She knew something happened with the brakes - pedal went to the floor but returned after pumping a bit.

I was surprised to find that only one pad out of 8 still had the pad material bonded - but no pad warning light. 2 were missing completely and 5 were flopping loose. The brake wear indicator had fallen out of the pad!

I had already ordered a cheap set of brakes for my wagon ($112 for 4 drilled and slotted rotors, with ceramic pads, brake fluid and a can of brake cleaner). I installed them on this car instead. Actually pretty impressed with them! I ordered another set for my wagon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q2YW4PF?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
After finding out that my radiator fans were both dead, I replaced the small fan with one I had spare mid last week, but just managed to replace the large one yesterday with one salvaged from the local Pick-N-Pull yard.

The amusing part about the fan was that it already had markings on it from being sold by a wrecking yard, when I found it in the yard on the car I pulled it from.
Now it has balanced paint marks on the blades...

It now works as expected, and tried to freeze me out of my car yesterday afternoon.

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Picked up a large radiator fan from Cascade German down the road a bit. My old one was no longer functioning and if it did start turning, the noises were not good. Will complete the install tomorrow.
Good timing on the FAN. Hopefully you can complete the install before 10:00 and the heat. My MB Sprinter project is facing East, post 08:00 is too hot due to my shade tree fail last week.

werdna

Veteran Member
An obscure corner of northeastern Massachusetts
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2013 Touareg Sport, 2015 GSW
I got tired of contributing so much to Zimmerman's bottom line and went looking for what on earth is happening to my front rotors to need new ones so often; 12k on the last set and the wobble is back. (I'm not, fwiw, hard on the brakes.)

Left front rotor was showing around 0.010" variation in the middle of the swept surface, and swapping with a used-good rotor showed around 0.0065" variation. That is not a happy hub. (Yes, cleaned and evenly clamped, although that mattered surprisingly little.) Putting the high spot of the rotor near the low spot on the hub got it down to around 0.0035" variation, which driveability-wise is in "this sucks, I need to fix this" territory instead of the teeth-chattering "holy cats I'm trashing my front end I'm going to run this red light instead of trying to stop" which is about the feeling of ten-thou of runout.

Also found the bottom caliper slider bolt stripped, which I think is pretty common on these. Probably helicoil time, unless I can find a set of the 1.8T/VR6 brakes/spindles RSN and change out everything.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Found out today when my iac Temps get to 160F it reaaaallly cuts the power down. It was 102f here today, and I was pushing her hard today. Good times.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Found out today when my iac Temps get to 160F it reaaaallly cuts the power down. It was 102f here today, and I was pushing her hard today. Good times.
It kills your fuel economy too.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
swapped the axle, bearing, and Hub, it all went pretty well considering car work

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Good timing on the FAN. Hopefully you can complete the install before 10:00 and the heat. My MB Sprinter project is facing East, post 08:00 is too hot due to my shade tree fail last week.
Yep, had it done before the rest of the family was even up. Came in and fixed breakfast for the wife and son after finishing the fan.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Malone 1.5 + dynamic idle on a mk4 golf 2dr wvw alh tdi 373+k. OMG fun! Different than a rocketchip 2 10-12 years ago...

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
xLooking atx bought a 2002 green tdi beetle, 216k, $1100.
Needs a seat cover, glow plug cel, no AC, couple of chips on the hood, scrape on the bumper, came with front shocks and struts. No complaints.

Last edited:

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Wired in the rear Fog light to take advantage of the Euro switch that was installed. Have plenty of fog in the winter living along the Columbia river. Today, my E-code lights from VXT are scheduled to arrive. Will get those installed later today.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Wired in the rear Fog light to take advantage of the Euro switch that was installed. Have plenty of fog in the winter living along the Columbia river. Today, my E-code lights from VXT are scheduled to arrive. Will get those installed later today.
That is one of my favorite mods... I did my 95 Audi (had provisions in tails), 04 Jetta (drilled out for bulb), 98 Beetle (in left reverse light) and 13 Passat (drilled and mounted a number of LEDs). Finally have a car that came factory with them! (Mercedes SLK)

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I’m not sure, I didn’t select, so what ever is the standard on the Malone 1.5
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305250

I meant what is your IQ setting when you check with vagcom? I have a stage 3 Malone tune and I really enjoy the extra humph i get but I did adjust my IQ to remain somewhat economical on mpg. I do like to step on it though!!