What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Cleaned and installed a better wood-trimmed ashtray. This one has a more defined wood grain and less scratches than the previous one.

Anybody else appreciate the wood trim?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Cleaned and installed a better wood-trimmed ashtray. This one has a more defined wood grain and less scratches than the previous one.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
My audi has that brown curly looking wood trim. It's definitely better than the silver stuff, but not as nice as the carbon fiber. I'm going to use the GLI aluminum trim in my wagon. I've already got the pieces saved up.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"brown curly looking wood trim"

It's supposed to be english walnut burl (juglans regia). I suspect it's a photographic vinyl overlay, possibly over a real wood base. I'd have to inspect carefully the back to be able to offer a more definitive opinion.

I worked on high end English antiques for years, I can assure you that the "faux" woodgrains do accurately represent real grain, but no veneer can be made to roll around curves in the way these trim pieces are made.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
18 degrees this morning, and Jetta said it needed a new battery. After an hour on the charger, off to Sam's Club for a Duracell 94R H7.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
"brown curly looking wood trim"

It's supposed to be english walnut burl (juglans regia). I suspect it's a photographic vinyl overlay, possibly over a real wood base. I'd have to inspect carefully the back to be able to offer a more definitive opinion.

I worked on high end English antiques for years, I can assure you that the "faux" woodgrains do accurately represent real grain, but no veneer can be made to roll around curves in the way these trim pieces are made.

I have two wood trim ashtrays and the wood patterns are completely different. I would think that if it was a photographic overlay, they would both be the same. Also, I found some vertical wood trim pieces in the junkyard, that had been improperly removed and splintered. Those were real wood glued to an aluminum substrate.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
FYI, the faux wood in vehicles now is all plastic injection molded. We purposely "splay" (mix) the plastic pellets in the barrel and inject it into the mold. No two pieces are the same and it generates a lot of scrap since each piece has to pass a visual inspection compared to a OEM approved sample.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"I have two wood trim ashtrays and the wood patterns are completely different...
vertical wood trim pieces in the junkyard, that had been improperly removed and splintered" Siracha

The giveaway is the exposed end grain. Unless you're dealing with something like a Rolls Royce, where they can afford to use chunks of real walnut burl. A vinyl look alike is a photograph of a large piece, from which different small pieces can be cut, hence the differences.

"the faux wood in vehicles now is all plastic injection molded" JDSwann87

Thanks for the detail on how it's done, you clearly work where the parts are made. With good quality control, the stuff looks great. In this day and age, appearance trumps substance. Faux finishing has been around
for centuries in all kinds of mediums. At its best, it is art.

Part of my job was "painting in" grain and color on repairs in old furniture to "blend" and disguise fresh wood.

Back in the day of automotive lacquers, the guy who could color match was
a valued part of a good body shop. Not so much now when the computer
can generate a match.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sunday, actually, replaced all filters and engine and gear oil in IBW. Pre-filled the fuel filter with Diesel Purge, and the shot of cleaner smoothed out the idle. And saw this today:

Onward!

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I have two wood trim ashtrays and the wood patterns are completely different. I would think that if it was a photographic overlay, they would both be the same. Also, I found some vertical wood trim pieces in the junkyard, that had been improperly removed and splintered. Those were real wood glued to an aluminum substrate.

The Vortex would be a good place to get info on how many different wood tone options were offered, I know there was more than 1, but not sure if it was 2 or a bunch.

For your 3 knob HVAC, you can use the wood trim from a Passat B5/5.5 if you remove 1 little piece on the back that prevents it from sliding into the dash. Only mentioning as it give you more options.

If you really like the wood, try to find a Passat B5/5.5 driver door pull that's got more wood then just the section over the window switches. I think they look more like an OEM piece, versus a dealership sticker. If that makes sense.

Hopefully this link works

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Dropped off my wagon to get a Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, with the SMF, installed.

yeahkkyle

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 speed
Yesterday I put on my snow tires and sprayed the undercarriage and suspension with fluid film. Just put a new fuel filter filled with diesel purge. Also finally rolled 200k miles on Monday.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Did a compression test this morning, 460psi across the board. Not bad for 330k.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me know how you like it! I totally like mine

Still in the break-in period with the clutch, so haven't really gotten into'er, but so far, it's really smooth and holds without slipping going up the grades on the 101.

On a side note, discovered that my EGR Flex Pipe has a crack and is the cause of my engine bay exhaust leak and faint whistle noise. Also, found out that I have a weeping valve cover gasket. Need to replace the EGR Flex Pipe and VC gasket. Any knowledge I should know, before purchasing parts?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed the stainless steel Audi TT pedals and dead pedal footrest set today. Pretty nice looking and the rubber tread on the pedals provides better grip.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Finished up HIDs on my 2000. Threw the relay kit away. Decided to use an 8A diode and cross paths with the high and low beam, ballasts stay on and shutters work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Helped a buddy trailer a new to him 2002 wagon tdi, stack of receipts from fix um hauns in it, supposedly needed an injection pump, turns out it just needed reprimed! Runs super smooth, but rear brakes are stuck, hatch lid is damaged, headliner is sagging, both bumpers damaged... It'll be a project, but not bad for $500!

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
After 304k, replaced original starter that was getting weak (really weak in MN weather at 5 degrees!). Also replaced another window clip when that decided to drop the window while in the northern tundra!

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Helped a buddy trailer a new to him 2002 wagon tdi, stack of receipts from fix um hauns in it, supposedly needed an injection pump, turns out it just needed reprimed! Runs super smooth, but rear brakes are stuck, hatch lid is damaged, headliner is sagging, both bumpers damaged... It'll be a project, but not bad for $500!
That's it, I'm calling the cops, your buddy is a thief!
Seriously though, good job keeping another one alive!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's it, I'm calling the cops, your buddy is a thief!
Seriously though, good job keeping another one alive!
Haha yeah it's a hobby at this point. It'll sit for a bit due to financial constraints, it's due for a timing belt and probably a trans valve body.

Trgreen

TDI
2001 Jetta
Heater core change on MK4 now immobilizer issue ugh

Need help no start after heater core replacement starts for a couple seconds and then dies, checked all fuses and connectors now what!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I began the lengthy process of taking all of the giddyup parts off of one car and on to the other. I really want to leave the cam and pump on it to avoid the pains of a timing belt job...I'm only 30k from needing to do it anyway.

Not sure when they will go on the other car...maybe this weekend. I think I'm gonna have an issue, have a tune on the 2001 and want to swap the ECU to the 2000 they are going on. Man I hope I don't have immo issues...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk