CR140 Stage 3

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
How much are you asking for this turbo, shipped, tax, and do you give a core exchange for stock turbo?
That is the cr170 turbo, it is a direct drop in with full exhaust and deleted egr and dpf, I have it, you can get them used for around $400, or new I believe is $1100...Plus $1000 in exhaust, about $600 in labor, so for a full system with tune, $600 bucks, which you have to do also, your right at about $3000 dollors for say 30hp...:eek: I built my own exhaust did all the install myself, with tune and turbo I'm in at $1000 dollars...
Have already a 3inch exhaust with dpf delete and malone stage 2 tune. Are you saying that I might have to then get a different tune?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
So the money spent on the stage 2 would be lost, and having to spend another $649 for the tune, $xxxx for turbo, and $xxxx for the installation to get another 20-30HP.
I think You can just get a reflash and they charge you the difference in tune price, so say the stage 2 tune is $500 and the stage 3 is $700 you would just have to pay $200 to get reflashed...that's how my installer does it I went from stage 2 to 3.

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
I think You can just get a reflash and they charge you the difference in tune price, so say the stage 2 tune is $500 and the stage 3 is $700 you would just have to pay $200 to get reflashed...that's how my installer does it I went from stage 2 to 3.
What setup do you have? As far as tune and exhaust. Are you running straight pipe or with a resonator and or muffler. What about the IC? Is that in need to upgrade as well. Can you tell the difference, or did you go right to this upgrade. Just curious. Looking for a future B-day wish list. Could you tell that there were an additional 20-30 HP added

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Picked up my brand new CR-170 turbo from the guys @ IDPARTS this morning as well as all the "fixin's" to install it. Sure is shiny! I did not want to risk having any issues by putting a used turbo on my car, my luck is that I get the one that fails and nukes my motor (I have sh*t luck). ;)

They had a handful more if anyone else is looking for one, they also stock the turbo inlet pipe & turbo inlet elbow.

Is it Friday yet?

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Picked up my brand new CR-170 turbo from the guys @ IDPARTS this morning as well as all the "fixin's" to install it. Sure is shiny! I did not want to risk having any issues by putting a used turbo on my car, my luck is that I get the one that fails and nukes my motor (I have sh*t luck). ;)

They had a handful more if anyone else is looking for one, they also stock the turbo inlet pipe & turbo inlet elbow.

Is it Friday yet?
I feel the same way about used ones as well. I'm even hesitant with remanufactured ones.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I feel the same way about used ones as well. I'm even hesitant with remanufactured ones.
never buy remanufactured unless they balance it, used is fine, I would rather have 3 used turbos than 1 new at that price for this increase...

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
The turbo i fitted to my Euro CR 140 Passat is 03L 253 010 F, the same as the on off the the CR 170 Passat and Golf GTD, what is the difference between the 016 G? What car is this from?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
The turbo i fitted to my Euro CR 140 Passat is 03L 253 010 F, the same as the on off the the CR 170 Passat and Golf GTD, what is the difference between the 016 G? What car is this from?
It's the European turbo, there is a list of what cars it is used in...in the USA we get the 140 hp turbo...

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
It's the European turbo, there is a list of what cars it is used in...in the USA we get the 140 hp turbo...
Yes, but isn't the 016 G a Euro 170 turbo also? Just wondering the difference between the 016 G and the 010 F 170 turbo, all i can see is the 010 F is made by Garrett.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Micky, looks like its the Garrett version of this turbo!(but it has rectangular ports!) The GTC1549VZ, That is pretty neat. Do you remember if it has round or rectangular ports in it? What is up with the oil feed and return lines?

ETA - looks like rectangular ports, might work on US spec Passat TDI's, not Jetta/Golf

Last edited:

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
never buy remanufactured unless they balance it, used is fine, I would rather have 3 used turbos than 1 new at that price for this increase...
The money difference is understandable, its just what happens to the motor if the turbo lets go. If $800 more gives me peace of mind over not having to rebuild or put a used motor ($2,500 + install) in my car I will sleep better.

I am in the car business - don't get me wrong when we have a vehicle come in that needs a turbo, I put a used turbo on it. My own personal TDI I wanted a new one.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
The money difference is understandable, its just what happens to the motor if the turbo lets go. If $800 more gives me peace of mind over not having to rebuild or put a used motor ($2,500 + install) in my car I will sleep better.

I am in the car business - don't get me wrong when we have a vehicle come in that needs a turbo, I put a used turbo on it. My own personal TDI I wanted a new one.
What are the main causes for failures? There us a guy (roadmedic) on cumminsforum.com that has close to 1000000 miles on his original stocker. he woukd have the same on his motor had a stuck injector not taken out a cylinder around 925k. He said he fixed the cylinder iirc got it back on the road with the original turbo.

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
What are the main causes for failures? There us a guy (roadmedic) on cumminsforum.com that has close to 1000000 miles on his original stocker. he woukd have the same on his motor had a stuck injector not taken out a cylinder around 925k. He said he fixed the cylinder iirc got it back on the road with the original turbo.
I would guess the main causes of turbocharger failure are:

• Improper Lubrication / Lack of maintenance (dirty oil) / wrong oil?
  • Foreign object damage
  • Overspeeding (aggressive tune?)
  • Excessive EGT's (again, aggressive tune + heavy foot)
That's damn impressive for 1,000,000 miles on a stock turbo! Was it an older 12 Valve Cummins, or a newer Common rail? (more common for injectors to stick on the CR's I believe).

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
I would love to buy the CR170 turbo right now, have it installed by the end of the month when I meet up with Kevin, however I want to wait until my extended warrany is up and I'm installing my axle back exhaust first.

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Micky, looks like its the Garrett version of this turbo!(but it has rectangular ports!) The GTC1549VZ, That is pretty neat. Do you remember if it has round or rectangular ports in it? What is up with the oil feed and return lines?

ETA - looks like rectangular ports, might work on US spec Passat TDI's, not Jetta/Golf
Looks like th 016 G turbo is the one from the earlier CBBB 170 engine, the engine in my 2013 has different ports and i'm sure they were square/rectangular ports. Is the US 140 CR got oval ports? The Golf GTD in Europe also has the same engine code as the Euro Passat CR 170. CFGB so it uses the same Garrett 010 F turbo.

The GTC 1549VZ (010F) turbo bolted straight onto my CR 140, exhaust / inlets all lined up perfectly, the Euro 140 and 170 engines are identicle only the turbo is different..

However the 170 turbo oil ports are at different positions so the oil lines are needed.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
The ports on the US spec CR140 Jetta/Golf are round, the Passat CR140 are rectangular.

I looked over the pics on ebay uk, it definitely has rectangular ports and like you said, oil lines look kinda different, is the feed in the side of the CHRA rather than the top?

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
The swap has begun!

Towards the end of the day today I figured I would get a jump on the swap so I put the car on the lift at work and started to tear it down.

I will say the Common Rail is no ALH to work on :D Sure is a lot more crowded! Not impossible by any means, just takes a little more time. Should be done Tomorrow afternoon as long as I am left alone @ work. Can't wait!

-Jay

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
The swap has begun!

Towards the end of the day today I figured I would get a jump on the swap so I put the car on the lift at work and started to tear it down.

I will say the Common Rail is no ALH to work on :D Sure is a lot more crowded! Not impossible by any means, just takes a little more time. Should be done Tomorrow afternoon as long as I am left alone @ work. Can't wait!

-Jay
What size exhaust are you running, is it straight pipe or muffler or resonator

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
The ports on the US spec CR140 Jetta/Golf are round, the Passat CR140 are rectangular.

I looked over the pics on ebay uk, it definitely has rectangular ports and like you said, oil lines look kinda different, is the feed in the side of the CHRA rather than the top?
All the newer cars this side of the pond from 2010 are rectangular now whether it's a Golf or a Passat and both have now same engine code , the CR 140 engine in both Passat and Golf is CFFB. The CR 170 in both Golf and Passat is CFGB. They then put a CR 177 in the later Passats CFGC but it was only a map tweak by VW. The only difference between the engines was just the turbo, injectors and internals all the same.

Last edited:

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
What size exhaust are you running, is it straight pipe or muffler or resonator

3" RAWTEK downpipe, 3" Mid pipe & 3" banks "axle back". I have a small resonator on it, soon will be making it smaller to get some of the noise back. Straight piped is just a touch to loud at certain speeds. I am going to put a small magnaflow resonator in soon.

** Turbo is out **. Man is that frigging tight space in there, wow. I took the EGR cooler right out of the car, gave me so much more space. Made up a pipe to bypass the coolant lines together so the cooler will not go back in the car. At 4:40pm today (IDparts closes @ 5.00PM) I realized that my car is the early 2009 and my turbo dampener is the early design and would not work with the new turbo. In the middle of a pretty good snow storm made it down to IDparts to get the correct one, but showed up 30 minutes after they closed due to an accident on the highway (sorry to make ya wait mike!).

At that point called it a day and went home (roads were getting terrible), i'll finish it tomorrow AM. So if anyone is planning to do this swap with a 2009, check your turbo outlet dampener to see if you need to buy the updated one!!!

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Jay; what's your manufacture date? From what I understand - the newer dampener is required for cars made BEFORE July 21, 2009

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Jay; what's your manufacture date? From what I understand - the newer dampener is required for cars made BEFORE July 21, 2009
I will get it tomorrow - I honestly never checked. I'd very well imagine its before that date, will post it to be certain. My luck!!

Least "ID" is close to me!!! I will have it done and drive the car home tomorrow, can't wait.

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Do you have a video of your car with the current exhaust. You said you have a small resonator on right now and want to go smaller. What size is it right now and what size are you planning on. Don't know want I want, talked to Wisconsin diesel service and they have a banks exhaust and talked to Les at diesel dubs about an exhaust with a muffler

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
I will get it tomorrow - I honestly never checked. I'd very well imagine its before that date, will post it to be certain. My luck!!

Least "ID" is close to me!!! I will have it done and drive the car home tomorrow, can't wait.
Update? Is it on the road yet?