05 TDI Golf turbo replacement pics and oil feed line replaced w/ steel braided line.

Kruso

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV Jetta TDI Red, MKIV Jetta TDI Green, MKV Jetta TDI Silver DSG.
These are just a few pics I took while installing the new turbo but more importantly replacing the stock turbo oil feed line with a re-usable steel braided line. I searched high and low on these boards and seems like no one shares the fitting sizes, I'm sure thats not a coincidence. Anyways... I hope this helps someone else in some way.
Below is the link to the steel braided line I purchased, it was a perfect fit: "36" Brand New, Light Weight, High Quality Turbo Oil Feed Line Kit. 1/8 NPT Fitting as require for Most Turbo application. It's stainless steel braided helps withstand High Pressure and also withstand Extreme Heat".
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/36-INCH-1-8-NPT-UNIVERSAL-TURBO-OIL-COOL-FEED-LINE-KIT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a08141308QQitemZ180524159752QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3253wt_1012
$20.45 shipped.
Another key part that was purchased was a brass 1/4 x 1/4 male elbow fitting part# 4174868 from ACE hardware. I'm sure thats the same part number everywhere for that fitting.
$4.50
The only problem I ran into was that the brass fitting threads were one size bigger so I ended up having to remove the aluminum oil filter bracket (pictured below) and tap it for the proper size using a 1/4-18 NPT 7/16 drill bit. The removal and tapping of the part took all of 15 mins. I personally didn't care because I am not planning on going back to the stock oil line but if you're hesitant then you can simply get your hands on a 1/2 banjo fitting with a flared 1/4 male side that will accommodate the oil line. All in all I can't complain for spending a fraction of the price for something I'm more comfortable with.
Old vs new front.

Old vs new side.

Aluminum housing removed to be tapped.

The brass fitting in place for the turbo oil feed line.

As you can see, there was a pre-existing oil leak towards the back of the engine. I have double checked the valve covers and are making a perfect seal. There is absolutely no oil leaking through the valve covers onto the head, I got in there with a mirror and came to find out someone else had monkeyed around that area prior to my brother purchasing it and the oil feed for the turbo was leaking/ spraying the rear of the engine/ firewall. My brother has a very lite foot and is very careful maintaining oil levels otherwise I'm sure the engine would've croaked.

Interesting to see the VNT system up close.

Turbo steel braided line attached to the turbo first and then fished upwards from the bottom of the car.

Turbo attached to the A/R housing (which was never removed). Please dismiss the mismatching washers on the bolts, these shots were for mockup purposes only.

The turbo ready with the clamp for the compressor housing.

Finally what the line looks like from up top, I chose to route it this way... you can do whatever you'd like but if you're going around the side of the engine you're going to need a longer line.

All in all this took about 3 hours to replace the turbo, tomorrow I'm going to take it and pressure wash/ detail the engine bay and get those grease marks out of the area.
Kruso

jjschicken

TDI
05 jetta
1/2 banjo fitting with a flared 1/4 male side

Hey,
I am planning on doing this myself, less the tapping of the oil filter. Anyway, I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110646845266?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 , similar to the one you show, and am trying to find the "1/2 banjo fitting with a flared 1/4 male side that will accommodate the oil line" you mention. Can you show me exactly what banjo to flared male adapter I need? I was looking on these two websites: http://www.034motorsport.com/hardwa...e=2&sort=2a&osCsid=urfj1f2401jk4ug3cvnpgh62r5 and http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/earls-performance-brake-adapters but don't know exactly what fitting I need.
Thanks for posting and for any help you may be able to provide me.

Jet 02

TDI
2002 Jetta, Vanagon AHU project
PS Turbo lines

The AN and JIC hose fittings are 37 degree flare. Most hardware store fittings are 45 degree flare. Mixing them is not recommended.
Jet 02

jjschicken

TDI
05 jetta
So, the one end fits fine onto the turbo without any adapters? All I need is a banjo and an to metric?

jjschicken

TDI
05 jetta
I'm wanting to remove the intake side of the turbo as you did in order to allow me to do the braided line properly on the bench, but I'm having trouble getting it off. I've removed the 4 bolts and it seems to be stuck. I've read not to bang the aluminum housing and to leave a couple bolts in there loosely so the turbo doesn't fall out. I may just leave it there and tighten the union and the braided line blindly if I have to.

Any suggestions?