Passat timing belt tips

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I changed my first CKRA timing belt (probably my 5-6 TDI belt) this past Saturday. A few suggestions I found and/or recommend: 1) no need to remove the motor mount and jack up the motor. Instead remove the TB tensioner stud from the block to change the tensioner. 2) a good set (or two) of 12 point drivers is helpful. 3) a drill adapter to run the 12 point drivers makes short work of the inner fender liner and belly pan. 4) an inspection mirror is handy for seeing the cam and hp fuel pump alignment holes when pinning the cam and pump. I own one pin and used a same size drill bit for the pump.

An IdPart TB kit and Metalnerd tools (pins, locks and sprocket buster) are worthwhile investments. 4-5 hours taking my time and double checking everything. YMMV, John

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Thanks, I'm 20k away from doing mine. :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
FYI fender liners and belly pan fasteners should just be torx not triple squares, but glad to hear you had good success with it.

Last edited:

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Thanks, I'm 20k away from doing mine. :D
I had never checked the recommended mileage on the factory belt... what is it? I have a feeling I am approaching it.

EDIT: I just read in the maintenance sticky that it is 130k, which is a very nice improvement over my much older Jetta. I am over 50k from the first change.

Last edited:

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Notes for CKRA Timing belt replacement

Notes from CKRA Timing belt replacement at 133,888 miles:
• Reference: CBEA/CJAA Timing belt procedure (Thank you very much!)
o Written by: greengeeker
o Photos by: DanG144, Kriesel, coalminer16

Tools:
• Buy the installation tool kit. This is very convenient if not essential.
• You’re saving money by doing the work yourself. Good excuse to buy tools, right!

Pictures:
• Take pictures of Fuel filter and Coolant reservoir hose routing before and during removal.
• Aids in a quick reinstallation.

Coolant Reservoir:
• I removed this and located the supply line toward the front of the engine.

Fuel System:
• I’m pretty sure the CKRA does not have an auxiliary fuel pump. (I didn’t remove one.)
• Do not disconnect any fuel lines.
o This will alleviate the need to prime system.

Serpentine Belt:
• This belt looked to be in pretty bad shape.
• Buy a spare and keep it in the truck with a 16mm wrench if you’re the paranoid type.

Metalnerd Crank Lock tool:
• Clearance inside radius to clear crank snout diameter.
• Dremel id to remove material to eliminate chamfer. (The chamfered bolt holes locate the tool on the crank.)

Water Pump removal:
• Get a bucket ready.
• Is there a coolant plug / drain on the engine block casting?
• Do replace this. Mine had black junk oozing from weep hole (bearing packing grease?)

Timing Belt tensioner:
• Cannot be removed without removing engine mount bracket. Unless stud is removed, per above. I didn't do this.
• Inspect new timing belt tensioner. Note the pin hole, it’s more like a slot.
o I used a small Allen key instead of the supplied tool. The supplied tool is too large diameter, and too long to be installed with engine mount bracket installed.
o I was glad the Allen key did not shear. Figure out a better tool before you start the project.

Engine mount bracket removal:
• Do this when starting re assembly – When you need to replace tensioner. (Keep the jack out of the way when you're performing the disassembly.)
• Removed / replaced 3ea engine bolts and 2ea mount to bracket bolts.
o Minor finagling of engine was necessary to get the bolts removed, bracket installed, then bracket to mount properly aligned, and 2ea bolts installed.
• Do this step. Give yourself piece of mind that your tensioner is new, and the water pump installation is likely easier without the mount in place.
• Reinstall mount and get the jack out of the way.

Cam and HPFP gear adjusting bolts:
• Do loosen these to aid in timing belt installation
• I left the crank position Tool, and both pins installed through the whole process.

Final timing belt installation:
• I installed the belt around the HPFP, large Idler, small top idler, around cam, tensioner, water pump, pulled tight around crank gear, and then installed the small lower idler.
• The HPFP and crank appeared to be on the correct teeth. The Cam appeared to be one tooth off, the bolts were not centered in the slots. I marked each gear and belt at one tooth with red sharpie.
• At this point I realized I needed to loosen the gear hold down bolts.
• I removed the small lower idler, took the belt off and reinstalled; moving the cam one tooth, and matching the crank and HPFP sharpie marks.
• Tightened all the bolts, confirmed the bolt were centered in the slots, adjusted the tensioner.
• Rotated the engine through several rotations, confirmed the TDC alignment with pins, and then buttoned everything up.

Replace coolant through reservoir. Startup engine. No lights on instrument cluster. Inspect coolant level, top up as required, go for short drive to open thermostat. Let cool off, top up coolant as necessary.

It took me most of the day on Saturday. I raised the car on wheel chocks on 3 wheels, and jack stand on right passenger side, removed wheel, and wheel well. This allowed better access.

This was my first timing belt replacement.

Last edited:

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Notes from CKRA Timing belt replacement at 133,888 miles:
• Reference: CBEA/CJAA Timing belt procedure (Thank you very much!)
o Written by: greengeeker
o Photos by: DanG144, Kriesel, coalminer16

Tools:
• Buy the installation tool kit. This is very convenient if not essential.
• You’re saving money by doing the work yourself. Good excuse to buy tools, right!

Pictures:
• Take pictures of Fuel filter and Coolant reservoir hose routing before and during removal.
• Aids in a quick reinstallation.

Coolant Reservoir:
• I removed this and located the supply line toward the front of the engine.

Fuel System:
• I’m pretty sure the CKRA does not have an auxiliary fuel pump. (I didn’t remove one.)
• Do not disconnect any fuel lines.
o This will alleviate the need to prime system.

Serpentine Belt:
• This belt looked to be in pretty bad shape.
• Buy a spare and keep it in the truck with a 16mm wrench if you’re the paranoid type.

Metalnerd Crank Lock tool:
• Clearance inside radius to clear crank snout diameter.
• Dremel id to remove material to eliminate chamfer. (The chamfered bolt holes locate the tool on the crank.)

Water Pump removal:
• Get a bucket ready.
• Is there a coolant plug / drain on the engine block casting?
• Do replace this. Mine had black junk oozing from weep hole (bearing packing grease?)

Timing Belt tensioner:
• Cannot be removed without removing engine mount bracket. Unless stud is removed, per above. I didn't do this.
• Inspect new timing belt tensioner. Note the pin hole, it’s more like a slot.
o I used a small Allen key instead of the supplied tool. The supplied tool is too large diameter, and too long to be installed with engine mount bracket installed.
o I was glad the Allen key did not shear. Figure out a better tool before you start the project.

Engine mount bracket removal:
• Do this when starting re assembly – When you need to replace tensioner. (Keep the jack out of the way when you performing the disassembly.)
• Removed / replaced 3ea engine bolts and 2ea mount to bracket bolts.
o Minor finagling of engine was necessary to get the bolts removed, bracket installed, then bracket to mount properly aligned, and 2ea bolts installed.
• Do this step. Give yourself piece of mind that your tensioner is new, and the water pump installation is likely easier without the mount in place.
• Reinstall mount and get the jack out of the way.

Cam and HPFP gear adjusting bolts:
• Do loosen these to aid in timing belt installation
• I left the crank position Tool, and both pins installed through the whole process.

Final timing belt installation:
• I installed the belt around the HPFP, large Idler, small top idler, around cam, tensioner, water pump, pulled tight around crank gear, and then installed the small lower idler.
• The HPFP and crank appeared in to be on the correct teeth. The Cam appeared to be one tool off, the bolts were not centered in the slots. I marked each gear and belt at one tooth with red sharpie.
• At this point I realized I needed to loosen the gear hold down bolts.
• I removed the small lower idler, took the belt off and reinstalled; moving the cam one tooth, and matching the crank and HPFP sharpie marks.
• Tightened all the bolts, confirmed the bolt to slots were centered, adjusted the tensioner.
• Rotated the engine through several rotations, confirmed the TDC alignment with pins, and then buttoned everything up.

Replace coolant through reservoir. Startup engine. No lights on instrument cluster. Inspect coolant level, top up as required, go for short drive to open thermostat. Let cool off, top up coolant as necessary.

It took me most of the day on Saturday. I raised the car on wheel chocks on 3 wheels, and jack stand on right passenger side, removed wheel, and wheel well. This allowed better access.

This was my first timing belt replacement.
Getting ready to do this myself. Question: Was a special tool needed for rotating the timing belt tensioner into position? The instructions from greengeeker mention a tool, but the metalnerd kit being sold by ID Parts doesn't make any mention of it being needed on the CKRA. Just need some clarification.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Good job! Im also at 118k and counting. Mine has a oil leak somewhere in that area- should be interesting

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
If you have not seen one of the passat timing belts, it is pretty impressive. Mine at 52,000 miles. Water pump was leaking.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
The Tensioner needs a 6mm allen wrench to rotate the tensioner to get slack, and also apply the correct final tension to line up the pointer.

You also need an 'insertion' pin to get additional slack. I used a 1.5mm or 2mm allen key. I would not recommend this. the shape in the tensioner is a slot, a micro flat head screwdriver might be better, or drill bit. I was concerned about snapping the allen key.

The above pic is with an allen key from IKEA or something like that. I took a knife and cut away some of the Orange plastic covering the 'insertion' hole in the tensioner.

Also note: if you click on the image (good grief its large) you will notice the larger diameter on the crank snout that interfered with the Crank locking tool.

My work area.

Do buy a sun shade if you're working outside. I can't believe I haven't bought one of these in the last 20 years. It was $49.

Last edited:

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
The Tensioner needs a 6mm allen wrench to rotate the tensioner to get slack, and also apply the correct final tension to line up the pointer.
Ah, ok, that's perfect. I was thinking that was what the hex hole was for.

I see your metalnerd tool down at the bottom. I almost spent the $$$ on the kit, but went with the ABN kit instead given the frequency at which I'll actually be using it doesn't justify the metalnerd pricing.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
So I just started this job. Other than removing one bracket, I've not disconnected anything and I already have the timing belt 100% exposed. Looks like I should be able to complete the job without disconnecting any lines at all. Oh....

And found a leaking water pump at 138K. Good........TIMING........I guess?

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought I was screwed. I was just setting the tension on the timing tensioner, using the 6mm allen wrench. The head of the tensioner split. And I don't have the little pin tool to turn it.

PSA for others. Even with the motor mount in place, a pair of 90* snap ring pliers WILL get the job done remarkably well.

I'll also have some other thoughts coming, currently pending me doing more work.