'09 JSW TDi Panzer install tips/tricks?

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
I had no intentions of getting a plate until...
The wife drove her Miata to work (Nevada Test Site, usually takes the bus), came home and said she couldn't avoid running over a dead coyote on the highway. I took a peek under the Miata, and immediately put it up on jack stands. The plastic under-engine tray is shattered, most of it is missing. A piece of the sheet metal mount broke, bent upward, and cut the serpentine belt nearly in half. The whole thing smells like a rotten meat BBQ. It is leaking some oil, haven't figured out where from yet.

The next morning I ordered a Panzer for our '09 JSW TDi. It was delivered yesterday. I've printed out the instructions, but before I get started I thought I'd ask if there are any 'gotcha's', tips, or tricks I should be aware of from those of you who've already installed a mk5 Panzer? Thanks,

John F
'09 JSW TDi, DSG

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Only gotcha for me was one of the bolts on the drivers side I could not tighten up because of a bolt sticking though from the grill. Now I've heard you just screw that grill bolt out a bit and then tighten (torque) the bolt holding the mount for the plate.....I'll have to try it next time I get the plate off.

I wish we had a lift for these cars....right after I installed mine I went over a dead deer at 60 mph. Amazed I DID NOT destroy the front fascia as there was blood and hair all over that too!

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
Thanks, I'll watch for that. I want to minimize install time, as it is really hot these days...

I'd also love to have a moderate lift, maybe 1 1/2", if it could be done without messing up the suspension geometry. It would probably affect the aerodynamics a bit and cost a mpg or 3 at highway speeds, but I'd do it anyway. Taking the JSW camping usually involves hundreds of highway miles, but also a lot of gravel/dirt road miles.

John F
LV, NV