White Smoke on Start-Up

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
Have noticed some white smoke on start-up. Had my TB changed and the Guru told me he was going to set my timing up a bit. Is this the cause and will it hurt anything? That was for easier starting in the Winter. Does it need to be dropped back in the Spring?

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
in the cold, a little white smoke is normal... how much are we talking here?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
does it look like you're killing mosquitoes? If so, you have an issue with either retarded timing or a non-functioning gp.

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
weedeater said:
does it look like you're killing mosquitoes? If so, you have an issue with either retarded timing or a non-functioning gp.
Yep, those Winter Time Mosquitos are bad. When I backup the car it is engolfed with the smoke, but it runs great otherwise, I have 80K on it. Maybe, I need to do a Fuel Additive?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
My first guess would be the timing is badly retarded. My second is that a glow plug is not working, but if that were true it should run rough for a bit before evening out.

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
Like I said, it runs great. No problems except the startup smoke, it clears, run smoothly. Might be the LS fuel and the fact I have not been adding an additive for a while. Was using Standyne I think it was called. When I ran out didn't get a refill.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
White is vaporized, but unburned fuel. White is also steam condensation.
Black is burned fuel. Grey may be just less black, or it might have some white mixed in.
If there is no un-even idle in the first 5 seconds after starting, then I wouldn't be concerned. Unburned fuel would be one or more cylinders 'dead' (failed glow plug for heat assist?) and an uneven idle. Steam condensation would be a normal atmospheric condition and wouldn't be accompanied by an uneven idle.