www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 29th, 2020, 09:45   #16
NAZ TDI
Veteran Member

Thank you Jesse! That is good information. I hope everybody reads it!
NAZ TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 19:04   #17
mydecember1985
Veteran Member

Yeah. Sheds a lot of light on the subject. I was thinking that since a lot of new car production was slowing down, some manufacturers would divert resources to profitable older-model vehicles

My DPF was declared "failed" yesterday.

I am being told 4-6 weeks for backorder. 1 other car currently on the lot (passat) that is waiting for a DPF.

2013 JSW
6SPD MT
38,300 miles on car
9,800 miles post-fix

NOTES:
I do use 2oz OptiLube XL fuel additive (did not tell dealer) each fill up
Oil is VW 507.00 spec Motul Xclean 8100 5W-30. Changed at 6,000 miles since purchase. Now just over 3,500 miles on that oil.
mydecember1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2020, 00:13   #18
JesseTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydecember1985 View Post
Yeah. Sheds a lot of light on the subject. I was thinking that since a lot of new car production was slowing down, some manufacturers would divert resources to profitable older-model vehicles

My DPF was declared "failed" yesterday.

I am being told 4-6 weeks for backorder. 1 other car currently on the lot (passat) that is waiting for a DPF.

2013 JSW
6SPD MT
38,300 miles on car
9,800 miles post-fix

NOTES:
I do use 2oz OptiLube XL fuel additive (did not tell dealer) each fill up
Oil is VW 507.00 spec Motul Xclean 8100 5W-30. Changed at 6,000 miles since purchase. Now just over 3,500 miles on that oil.
I wouldnt call TDI's "profitable" especially after dieselgate (especially here in the US). Most of these DPF's are being replaced under warranty which means VW loses money on every single one they have to cover. They still have to pay their supplier to make the damn thing because their people don't work for free. Suppliers won't stay running long after the new car assembly lines shut down. There just isn't enough money in making JUST the service parts and nowhere to put them after they are built (remember there are no big warehouses when you operate just-in-time lean manufacturing). The car companies make most of their money off of new car sales and the interest on financing those sales to buyers. Thats why new vehicle production is priority 1.

Last edited by JesseTDI; July 1st, 2020 at 00:17.
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2020, 04:38   #19
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseTDI View Post
We have to run at or above 85% operating efficiency to keep up with our customers
why cant you run at 100 percent efficiency?
bmwM5power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2020, 16:22   #20
JesseTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwM5power View Post
why cant you run at 100 percent efficiency?
Lots of reasons, robots break down, programming issues, maintenance, weld cap changes, people coming back from break late, people out sick so someone has to run two stations instead of one, training new people, quality issues (sometimes investigating a quality problem requires temporary line stoppages). Operational efficiency is calculated with operators hitting their targets (part placement in a station in a specific time frame) every single time, a second here and there multiplied across 5 to 7 operations on each line adds up fast and eats into OEE. Most operators will have to place 2-4 parts in each station every 45 to 60 seconds, many operators are assigned to operate 2 or 3 stations at a time in a sequence, one wrong step or distraction adds seconds to their times. Some "routine" maintenance operations (like weld cap changes) are calculated into overall OEE at "expected completion times" if the task takes longer then that counts against overall OEE. It is possible to exceed 100% OEE but you need rockstar operators on the line with ZERO mistakes or slow downs or mechanical issues all day. 85% is a difficult goal to achieve, not impossible, but difficult. Even if you took the human element out of the equation you would still comtend with mechanical breakdowns which happen often, even with multi-million dollar machines. I would love to see consistent OEE's over 85% because that means a decent monetary bonus for everyone that works in the plant (in addition to safety bonuses).

Last edited by JesseTDI; July 10th, 2020 at 16:26.
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote