My First VW - 2013 Passat TDI Highline

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
Enjoying my first VW, a new 2013 Passat TDI Highline (SEL) with a 6sp manual. My father had a 1979 Rabbit diesel - the Passat is definitely not my father's diesel :D. In any case, how pleased we are so far with this car. Its great to have a manual transmission again too.

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Dang, you lucky Canooks! Here in the states we can only get 6M in the SE trim. I would have gotten the Premium level if it sold with stick shift here in US. Curse you VeeDub!!!

Still love our 6M SE though. Good luck with your car.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
They're pretty common in Atlantic Canada. One lot I went to had five. Another had three.

I would have bought one but ze Frau is tired of shifting after 15 years of doing it.

Regards

GunnerIke

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
That's a great looking car man!

I would have loved to get a manual but my wife was very anti. She got that look that said, "If you insist on getting a manual I will be resentful towards this car the entire time we have it and by extension, you as well." So we got the DGR, which I have to say, as far as slush-boxes are concerned, is pretty nice.

Regardless, great car man!

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Cannot wait to get my white Highline with sport package , i hope the interior is black and not beige .

Not sure when delivery is yet as dealer has to acquire it from some where .

Just wrote off my 2 month old 2012 jetta TDI and i was planning on buying another until the rental car i got was a Passat and could not go back to the jetta .:)

Looks good in black .

Last edited:

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a great looking car man!
I would have loved to get a manual but my wife was very anti.
Regardless, great car man!
I have to say I have a pretty special wife. She was fine with the manual. Mind you, she turned 50 today but still rides her own BMW sports motorcycle.:)

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you , i guess for the upgrade price they should be good tires .
5 more days and i should have mine .
Rob
Mine has a build date of 11/2012 so I imagine yours will have the same tires. What color did you get?
I put through 3 tanks of fuel now so I guess its time for a little review.

Just about everything - favorite car I owned so far (and I just came off a BMW 3-series)
Love the manual transmission - no regrets there - love the way it sleepily pumps out torque at 1500 rpm in 6th gear at highway speed.
I have the Fender Audio upgrade, sounds great - seemed to get even better with some time - perhaps the cones needs to break-in?
Great fuel mileage - 5.3l/100km all around, 4.1 one trip when I babied it.
Really like the conservative styling -other cars look a little too glitzy now to my taste.
Seats are very comfortable once broken in.
Interior finishing is top notch, no rattles or squeaks.
Ride is very smooth, absorbs the bumps very well.
Backup camera is nice, like the yellow "alignment" lines
KESSY - have it on our RAV4 so it was a must again, once you have it, can't go back. REALLY like that I can lock the doors (using the door handle) before my wife shuts her door. Always found that annoying with our Toyota - it alarms if you don't have all doors closed when hitting the lock.
Like the diesel sound when its cold :D
Lots more but those are the top likes.

Dislikes:
Right leg is crowded, usually pressing against the console.
Suspension floats a little too much to my liking.
Clutch throw is a little long.
Sound system has trouble with my iPod video, but is fine with my wife's regular iPod. I just copied all my songs to the HDD.
Headlights are not very good, I need to try to aim a little higher.
Heated mirror switch is on the driver door, why not just turn the mirrors on and off with the rear defrost?
None of the above are "biggies" - great car!

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Heated mirror switch is on the driver door, why not just turn the mirrors on and off with the rear defrost?
Headlights from the factory are, in my opinion, adjusted too low. They are easily adjustable...bolt is on the rear of the light housing. A little bit of turning makes a big change, so go slow...find yourself a wall to aim at.
The heated mirror can be linked to the rear defrost...you need VCDS to do that...find a guru...

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Mine has a build date of 11/2012 so I imagine yours will have the same tires. What color did you get?
I put through 3 tanks of fuel now so I guess its time for a little review.

Just about everything - favorite car I owned so far (and I just came off a BMW 3-series)
Love the manual transmission - no regrets there - love the way it sleepily pumps out torque at 1500 rpm in 6th gear at highway speed.
I have the Fender Audio upgrade, sounds great - seemed to get even better with some time - perhaps the cones needs to break-in?
Great fuel mileage - 5.3l/100km all around, 4.1 one trip when I babied it.
Really like the conservative styling -other cars look a little too glitzy now to my taste.
Seats are very comfortable once broken in.
Interior finishing is top notch, no rattles or squeaks.
Ride is very smooth, absorbs the bumps very well.
Backup camera is nice, like the yellow "alignment" lines
KESSY - have it on our RAV4 so it was a must again, once you have it, can't go back. REALLY like that I can lock the doors (using the door handle) before my wife shuts her door. Always found that annoying with our Toyota - it alarms if you don't have all doors closed when hitting the lock.
Like the diesel sound when its cold :D
Lots more but those are the top likes.

Dislikes:
Right leg is crowded, usually pressing against the console.
Suspension floats a little too much to my liking.
Clutch throw is a little long.
Sound system has trouble with my iPod video, but is fine with my wife's regular iPod. I just copied all my songs to the HDD.
None of the above are "biggies" - great car!

Hi , nice to read your review .

I had a choice between white and black and i decided on white .

Mine iss coming directly from the plant so not sure of the build date .

Had to take the rental passat back and sales guy lent me his TDI golf until car actually arrives .

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
They're pretty common in Atlantic Canada. One lot I went to had five. Another had three.

I would have bought one but ze Frau is tired of shifting after 15 years of doing it.

Regards
A friend just bought a Highline manual, his wife wanted the manual, he wanted the auto, she won.

I taught da wife to use a clutch on a 73 Super Beetle, both daughters are clutch people now too.

Don